Page 1 of 2

Bronco Recall

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:58 pm
by Rustbucketracer
Anyone else get one of these in the mail?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399683438.581096.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399683438.581096.jpg (102.4 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:11 pm
by Rmc
That's news to me. But I'm the 3rd owner so ford has no idea I have my bronco.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:15 pm
by yikes
Wow. They still send those out? Figured they had all been replaced our burned to the ground by now. I think I got that in '06.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:12 pm
by Rustbucketracer
Yeah. Surprised me too.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:18 pm
by RyanDS650X
How do u find out if its been replaced?

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:27 pm
by RyanDS650X
Fordowners.com
Mine said no recalls so i guess its already been done.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:39 pm
by Rmc
Maybe that's why my cruise control is busted.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:43 pm
by RyanDS650X
Mine has been working when it wants too lately... i was hoping this had aomething too do with it.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:59 pm
by Gilbee01
Sounds a little weird to send them out this late in the game.. Could be a scam.. Check it out before you pass on any information.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:15 pm
by SteveG
Safety recalls stay active for a long time. This kind of thing is not unheard of.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:09 am
by robertcrav
I got one today

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:46 am
by PaulW
This recall has been an ongoing deal for many years. and probably applies to all fords made before the first recall. Something like year 2000.
I get that recall for my F350 and my Bronco regularly because I never got Ford to fix the problem. I took the rig to the dealer with the first notice and they did not have the parts. So what I did was to put a 5A fuse in the hot circuit leading to the switch on the master. Its been that way for many years and so far that fuse is intact and cruise works as intended. My buddies that have Ford motor homes, Escapes, and older trucks have all been advised and they all have done the DIY fix. Much easier than a dealer appointment and a long wait.
BTW, some rigs the wire is only hot with the ignition on and on the older rigs it is hot all the time.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:16 am
by ChaseTruck754
I got one for my 2001 Expedition years ago. So yeah, it applies to a wide year range & a wide array of vehicles too.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:33 am
by MOSS2
Perhaps since all the BS GM is getting over the ignition switch thing they decided to review and expand a little bit.

I don't remember but is the problem that the wire is unfused or that it will melt at lower amperage than the supplied fuse. I know the switch leaks and shorts it. My 96 had a melted plug and 2 inches of wire so it is something to keep an eye on.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:28 am
by PaulW
Trouble was they had no fuse on the circuit.
I think it is obvious that un-fused hot wires have no place in any auto. Its a major engineering screw up which is why Ford is doing the recall. Texas Instruments liability coverage is partially covering the cost of the recall because the TI switch allows brake fluid leaks to the switch contacts where the short occurs. This happens due to a bad seal internally in the switch.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:32 am
by philofab
I get one of those on my crew cab every few years... closest Ford dealer is in Kingman and they won't tow it to have it done so bleh.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:34 am
by ChaseTruck754
Have um send you the parts Philo. Doubt they will, but it's worth asking. It's a 5 minute, un-plug & re-plug type fix.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:56 am
by RyanDS650X
Steve is it under the dash or under hood?

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:43 am
by ChaseTruck754
Been 10 years or more so I can't remember for sure. I took mine to the dealership since I was doing something next door. I remember coming back & they weren't done, but did it right then and it was quick. Guy showed me it and I remember thinking "that's way too easy". Based on that I want to say it was under the hood.

Re: Bronco Recall

Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:09 am
by PaulW
As was stated before the troublesome switch is on the master cylinder. Its just in front of the reservoir. It has a connector with wires. One wire is hot on cars and F150/Bronco, but on superduty it is only hot when the ignition is on. All need the missing fuse.
If your rig has the factory mod it will have 2 connectors with a short distance between them. Otherwise please just add a fuse in the hot wire to be safe.
PW