Page 1 of 6

What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:01 am
by robertcrav
I was just curious what everyone has chosen to drive daily if it isn't your Bronco...

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:05 am
by Travisfab
I have a 99 5.0 Explorer. All wheel drive, Eddie Bauer & 18.5 mpgs.

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:08 am
by FUFIMI
My daily driver changes all the time between a 76 ford maverick, 1999 f250, or a 2013 hyundai elantra if my mom does not work.

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:13 am
by hobbyturnedobsession
94 ford ranger 4.0 stick

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:15 am
by JA_gonzalez
88 4runner

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:36 am
by tcm glx
2012 VW Passat TDI

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:45 am
by Silverslk
2005 Kawasaki ZX-10 and 1995 FZR1000.


Raiiny days... Bronco gets the nod.

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:42 pm
by ESHALLBETTER
I have a 99 Acura TL that is my DD/Work truck. 19 city/30 hwy. All the buzz words, heated leather, wood grain, Bose stereo, sunroof... automotive experts claim that it could someday be worth as much as one thousand dollars! And yes, for the record that's 3 full 20' lengths of 1.75 x .120 tubing on the roof rack!
ACURA WORK TL.jpg
ACURA WORK TL.jpg (103.95 KiB) Viewed 2150 times

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:44 pm
by robertcrav
Lolz

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:53 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Eric's pic makes me want to start the pic thread of crazy loads carried in cars/trucks. Lord knows my old hatch back civics same some entertaining stuff!

As for the DD - 99' Tacoma 4wd, 5 speed, 4 banger. Soon to change though it seems. And as my wife points out all too often - it's the DD because it's the only thing I own that actually runs!

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:51 pm
by Kel Fab Creations
For now my dd is the 05 escape I'm trying to sell. After that it will be the bronco. Then hopefully a couple months after that it will be an svt focus.

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:03 pm
by Dust
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:94 ford ranger 4.0 stick
Good choice!


94 Ranger 4WD, 4.0/5-Spd, 33's, 4.56 ARB> CRMO shafts, 4-wheel disks, 250,000-miles 18-MPG average.

Or~
1986 Ranger 2WD 2.0L 5-speed, 30-MPG, a$$ugly Tan and it is well over 240,000-miles.
Soon as the rebuild is done my 75Highboy will be my winter drive, nothing like the sound of a Big Block in the morning!

Currently there are no radios in any of them and I have no plans to replace them :lol:

DITW

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:04 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
Nice! I love mine. Just over 186000 on the ticker!

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:23 pm
by tcm glx
Kel Fab Creations wrote:For now my dd is the 05 escape I'm trying to sell. After that it will be the bronco. Then hopefully a couple months after that it will be an svt focus.

SVT Focus, nice!

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:15 pm
by guard
My wife and I are currently running a couple cars into the ground with all our commuting.

1) 2012 Honda Civic econobox
2) 2009 Subaru Outback

As we focus more on our house renovation I decided to buy a $2k runabout that usually sits unless I need it.

3) 1989 Toyota 2wd regcab/longbed auto trans pickup with overload springs and no AC...

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:44 pm
by Agui-E7TE
I tend to switch off daily drivers just to keep it intersting.

Lately I've been driving an '03 F350 Super Duty 6.0L crew cab short bed 4x4 on 39's. It's got 5.13 gears and gets 18 mpg.

'91 Ford Mustang notchback with a loud and rowdy 5.0L V8 (not sure if it's a stroker or just a 306 with alumiunum heads and a big cam), high stall torque convertor and 295 drag radials. It was my daily driver until I got a speeding ticket (for $441) for exercising my right as an American to make some noise while exceeding the posted speed limit on my way to work in an industrial area. I was getting 16-17 mpg with this combo unless I hit bad traffic in which case it would drop to 12 mpg average.

'89 Ford Bronco with a 5.8L and a C6. Stock gears and 35's. I was averaging 10 mpg but it's always a fun ride.

'79 Ford Bronco with a 460 big block with a C6, 4.56 gears, 35-inch Pit Bull Rockers and a 770 cfm Holley Truck Avenger off road carburetor. This one is super fun to drive but has a lot of slop in the steering box right now. It was getting 8-9 mpg on the highway when I kept my foot out of it.

'71 GMC C25 prerunner project with a 350 c.i. V8, TH350 auto, Dana 60 rear with 4.11 gears and 35-inch tires. I don't really drive this one much and it's been more of a money pit than anything but it's probably going to be the worst one after I install a set of 5.13 gears to get it moving much faster.


Thinking about buying a first gen Tacoma 4x4 as a fuel efficient daily driver.

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:29 am
by PaulW
We recently gave up on the 03 VW TDI. To small and to expensive . The 45+mpg was nice , but by the time I added up all the repairs it was a wash. I hear the late model TDIs are much more reliable, but get slightly less MPG?
Now we have a new Honda CRV and are averaging close to 30mpg and always 31 on the hwy, and hopefully no more repairs. A comfortable car with lousy rear vision and at least twice as big as a Jetta wagon. Seems to be a good compromise? I use the 06 Rubi Jeep when both of us have to drive. The Jeep is a 14-15mpg rig driven as a DD.

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:50 am
by robertcrav
With the revision of diesel smog laws, what's the trick to a big diesel truck getting good mileage and being legal? For years I've lusted after an Excursion diesel on 37s thinking it'd be possible to get close to 20mpg ... Is it unrealistic nowadays?

I've bounced between trucks, Jeeps and Mustangs since I first got my license, and a Notchback Fox Body Mustang is one I haven't had yet, but isn't the most 'practicle'

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:01 am
by ChaseTruck754
Agui-E7TE wrote:Thinking about buying a first gen Tacoma 4x4 as a fuel efficient daily driver.
Mine will be for sale soon I think. Although even with the 4 banger and 5 speed it's not a super gas saved. It does have 33's a heavy footed driver & is not geared though.

Re: What's your DD ... if it isn't your Bronco

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:17 am
by Rmc
robertcrav wrote:With the revision of diesel smog laws, what's the trick to a big diesel truck getting good mileage and being legal? For years I've lusted after an Excursion diesel on 37s thinking it'd be possible to get close to 20mpg ... Is it unrealistic nowadays?

I've bounced between trucks, Jeeps and Mustangs since I first got my license, and a Notchback Fox Body Mustang is one I haven't had yet, but isn't the most 'practicle'

You can pull those numbers but only on the highway at 1800 to 2k Rpm's. I drove from menifee to Tracey ca. And still had 1/4 tank in my 6.0 f250 crewcab.