Page 1 of 1

BMX bikes

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:36 pm
by philofab
Long before I ever rode an ATC/Quad/Dirt bike or had a drivers licence I rode BMX. I just bought a bicycle today to help get fit again, and I thought I would see how many of you used to be into it.

I got a Haro Monocoque with spin rims. I think this one is aluminum, I have not picked it up yet. I had one in the 90s but it was carbon fiber, I hope to find another someday.

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:25 pm
by Dezertbronco
I still ride a Haro, Did you buy a cruiser?

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:37 pm
by bajascott
i have been looking for a 24" redline cruiser to ride with my kids,
my poor knees just dont last that long on my skateboard.
bmx bikes are fun!!

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:43 pm
by philofab
Dezertbronco wrote:I still ride a Haro, Did you buy a cruiser?
Nope... a 20", A cruiser would be cool but I have plans to build a fixed gear bike out of a mountain bike for the "other" bike. Two should be plenty.

I had many Haro bikes when I was younger. Group II, Group 1B, Group 1Si, Carbon Fiber Monocoque, ect.

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:01 pm
by magic carpet XLT
for the love of god, don't build a fixie. i hope you meant single speed, in which case, i highly recommend it. it will get you in shape real quick.

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 pm
by philofab
magic carpet XLT wrote:for the love of god, don't build a fixie. i hope you meant single speed, in which case, i highly recommend it. it will get you in shape real quick.
What is the difference? I planned on having a flip flop with a free wheel on one side and a non-free wheel on the other.

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:44 am
by yikes
A fixed gear and clipless. Woohooo! Quick trip to the hospital. Haha! Philo - fixed gear means no freewheel. Had a friend that used to train with them to help his pedal stroke.

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:15 am
by Jasonj105
bajascott wrote:i have been looking for a 24" redline cruiser to ride with my kids,
my poor knees just dont last that long on my skateboard.
bmx bikes are fun!!
Scott, I have a couple of cruiser frames if you want one. A Redline Proline, and a Felt. I also have a complete Intense Sabot 20'' ready to race if anyone wants it. Profile cranks, S&M Slam bars, Sun BFR rims with GT mohawk hubs.

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:49 pm
by Squarehead
Back in the 80's, I used to ride a Diamond Back (can't remember which model) and then a Dyno Pro Comp (which was really more of a freestyle bike than BMX), and I loved those things! My little brother used to ride a Haro Group 1.

My parents made me play little league until I was in 8th grade...and I hated it the whole time. If they would have just taken me to the BMX track and let me be involved in a sport that I was really interested in, I would have been in heaven. A lesson I won't forget when I have kids of my own.

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:00 pm
by philofab
yikes wrote:A fixed gear and clipless. Woohooo! Quick trip to the hospital. Haha! Philo - fixed gear means no freewheel. Had a friend that used to train with them to help his pedal stroke.
I want a fixed gear bike, I rode one last time I was in Seattle and it was way cool. I like riding backwards and it should build my calf up.

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:02 pm
by yikes
So, you are crazy. We used to talk about putting a fixed gear on our downhill bikes for shits n giggles.

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:04 pm
by philofab
yikes wrote:So, you are crazy. We used to talk about putting a fixed gear on our downhill bikes for shits n giggles.
I wouldn't do it for downhill... it's flat around here where I live. I might be a little crazy, I do after all have a titanium plate in my head.

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:12 pm
by Nick
philofab wrote: I might be a little crazy, I do after all have a titanium plate in my head.
Well that explains it! :lol:

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:54 pm
by magic carpet XLT
just dont start wearing neon ass hugger jeans and members only jackets...only real gripe i have about fixies is the emo queers that ride them and think that they are skilled riders when they really aren't and give true riders a bad name when they crash into cars and people because they don't know how to ride a bike without brakes.

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:03 am
by philofab
Haha, the bike will have brakes...

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:19 pm
by slowpoke-rodriguez

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:54 pm
by bajascott
hhaa thats rad, that is a cool movie!!

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:18 pm
by Dezertbronco
bajascott wrote:hhaa thats rad, that is a cool movie!!
Go down to Malcolm Smith motorsports and Buy a copy and Malcolm will sign it and take a picture with you.

Re: BMX bikes

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:44 pm
by bajascott
i shook his hand before.....along time ago, i dont need an autogragh, and i have the movie..lol