looking for work
- navynuke
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 pm
- Bronco Info: 82 Bronco with some goodies
- Location: Durham, NC
- Contact:
looking for work
It sucks, been looking since April, just graduated, and so many people are applying for jobs they are overqualified for, I get declined for jobs I should be able to at least interview for, but I apply to jobs a few steps down and get told I'm too over qualified.
right now looking at being a correctional officer near kingman, or may a VA disability rep in Flagstaff/Prescott.
Just needing to vent a bit.
Ken
right now looking at being a correctional officer near kingman, or may a VA disability rep in Flagstaff/Prescott.
Just needing to vent a bit.
Ken
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
-
PELLEY
- Posts: 137
- Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:30 am
- Bronco Info: 1990 5.8L, auto, roll-a-long.
- Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Re: looking for work
Bad news Ken. I am in the AF and loath the day I have too look for a job... If your willing to move to CA Edwards AFB is something like 70% civilian contractor and civil service. Many great opportunities for retired service members.
Also more important, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!!
Also more important, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!!
- BajaF250
- Posts: 2430
- Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
- Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
- Location: San Diego, CA
- Contact:
Re: looking for work
Hey shipmate... thanks for your service! Well done! I know the job market is tough, but hang in there. There are jobs out there for vets...
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: looking for work
The VA job is rough... The job at the prison is pretty good though. If your any good with heavy equipment the mine outside Kingman pays ok. 18+ an hour or so.
I looked for a job for a few days. Not a single call so I just decided to start my own business and do odd jobs to survive.
I looked for a job for a few days. Not a single call so I just decided to start my own business and do odd jobs to survive.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- bajascott
- My belly is my best friend
- Posts: 2006
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
- Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
- Location: southern oregon
- Contact:
Re: looking for work
i know the feeling, i have been out of work since nov 28 2010.i have applied for for tons of jobs,and all i get is " you are overqualified for the postion" or no responce at all! i mean all i want to do is beat duck work together or weld stainless kitchen equipment. i gues 20 years as a tinner i cant even get job as a helper in a sheetmetal shop.
been trying to get on with the BLM so thats where my heart is right now...
good luck in your search!
been trying to get on with the BLM so thats where my heart is right now...
good luck in your search!
- navynuke
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 pm
- Bronco Info: 82 Bronco with some goodies
- Location: Durham, NC
- Contact:
Re: looking for work
yeah, I havn't given up yet, heading to bullhead Wednesday for something with Hertz rentacar, I keep going through the motions. The VA job may stink, but it would be a start, and Flagstaff isn't so bad.
Glad you are making do with your business/odd jobs Philo, I am getting them too, driving Fedex trucks for a maintenance contract, and occasional motor swaps etch, just not enough to feel good about.
Glad you are making do with your business/odd jobs Philo, I am getting them too, driving Fedex trucks for a maintenance contract, and occasional motor swaps etch, just not enough to feel good about.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: looking for work
I will keep my eyes out Ken, Hang in there you are a talented guy something will work out. Have you taken a look at TVA especially the Y-12 facility. With your background there may be something there but it would mean relocating?
Jeremy
- navynuke
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 pm
- Bronco Info: 82 Bronco with some goodies
- Location: Durham, NC
- Contact:
Re: looking for work
I have not looked into the TVA since I got out in 2005. I will look into it though, I kinda figure I will be relocating from Havasu anyway, east coast isn't high on my list but I hear the TVA is a good place to be.
Thanks for the well wishes.
Thanks for the well wishes.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
- BDKW1
- Posts: 1518
- Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
- Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
- Location: Not Socal
Re: looking for work
That's what I was doing for the last 6 months. I think I applied to more jobs in a week than I had in the 20 years previous to this last hunt. I started noticing that adds would pop up on CL for a couple hours and be gone, probably due to the amount of responses they got. Started at the new place monday, from shop foreman to manual machinist/welder/ all around fill in guy..............philofab wrote:I looked for a job for a few days. Not a single call so I just decided to start my own business and do odd jobs to survive.
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: looking for work
Kinda funny the questions I get when applying for jobs. I think being over qualified was actually hurting me. No matter, this is the first time in 13 years I haven't had to listen to anyone else and I really like it.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- navynuke
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 pm
- Bronco Info: 82 Bronco with some goodies
- Location: Durham, NC
- Contact:
Re: looking for work
interviewed with Hertz today in Bullhead, they all but offered me the assistant manager/trainee job after the initial interview, but with a reservation about the pay. 9.50 an hour is a hard pill to swallow, especially with a 60 mile each way commute. They said you can move up fast in bigger cities, but not rural areas like here.
Gonna ask about bigger cities, or a position in Havasu itself maybe.
Gonna ask about bigger cities, or a position in Havasu itself maybe.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
Re: looking for work
May be a good foot in the door for a year or so and then a transfer if this is a company you are looking to work for.
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: looking for work
I have a room for rent...
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- navynuke
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 pm
- Bronco Info: 82 Bronco with some goodies
- Location: Durham, NC
- Contact:
Re: looking for work
I have a dog and a woman that are part of my package. Mostly the dog
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: looking for work
Let me know if you do my father in law works in the Y-12 facility and even though I am not a big east coast fan either the knoxville/oakridge area is pretty nice. I am not sure if he can help as a reference but he would be a friendly face and he also a retired "squid" Lol from the nuke community.navynuke wrote:I have not looked into the TVA since I got out in 2005. I will look into it though, I kinda figure I will be relocating from Havasu anyway, east coast isn't high on my list but I hear the TVA is a good place to be.
Thanks for the well wishes.
Jeremy
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: looking for work
Its something and maybe you can transfer??? Congrats on something positive even if its not the greatest.navynuke wrote:interviewed with Hertz today in Bullhead, they all but offered me the assistant manager/trainee job after the initial interview, but with a reservation about the pay. 9.50 an hour is a hard pill to swallow, especially with a 60 mile each way commute. They said you can move up fast in bigger cities, but not rural areas like here.
Gonna ask about bigger cities, or a position in Havasu itself maybe.
Jeremy
- navynuke
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 pm
- Bronco Info: 82 Bronco with some goodies
- Location: Durham, NC
- Contact:
Re: looking for work
Sorry for the slow update, the Hertz thing fizzled when I asked about other regions or moving up stuff, they just talked circles and circles till I gave up in frustration.
On the upside, Have an Interview in Durham, NC on Wednesday with Cree LED's, then fly back and interview with the city here in Lake Havasu for a waste water lab tech position.
Been working in a shop here in town to keep me busy/put some money in my pocket, but I'm ready to really find a job and get back to work.
On the upside, Have an Interview in Durham, NC on Wednesday with Cree LED's, then fly back and interview with the city here in Lake Havasu for a waste water lab tech position.
Been working in a shop here in town to keep me busy/put some money in my pocket, but I'm ready to really find a job and get back to work.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
Re: looking for work
Good luck on the interviews. I know it's not the west coast but the Raleigh area is a really cool place. I am down there every other month for work and thoroughly enjoy it.
- navynuke
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:24 pm
- Bronco Info: 82 Bronco with some goodies
- Location: Durham, NC
- Contact:
Re: looking for work
Interviews both went well, although the rest of my trip to NC was a disaster.
The 2 hour drive to the Vegas airport Tuesday morning took 3.5 because of flowing water/accidents in the rain
Got through the Vegas airport and barely caught my flight(they started boarding before I got through security even)
Then the hotel shuttle that was going to take me to the interview per the email instructions I received, would not so I had to pay for a cab to/from
Found out that morning that our favorite politician was not only visiting Raleigh on Wednesday, but doing a speech AT the place I interviewed
I got in, had a tag team interview of several important people and a few hours of questioning done, got out as the roadblocks were being set up so I could catch my flight home
get home finally at 1230am Thursday morning, after getting up at the equivalent of 3:30 am for an interview on the east coast, conck out get some sleep get up and have an interview locally today.
After the whole ordeal, I came home and took a nap, as I was straight wore out from all the travel/being cooped up in little airline seats ect.
Wake up to a voicemail from the company in NC offering me a job that I am seriously thinking about taking. 90% of what I made at Intel with all the same benefits/bonuses, even with the economy in the dumps
Gonna pester the city see if they will offer me the job here in Lake Havasu, but not holding my breath, and probably a 20k a year difference in pay between them too.
Tough decisions, anyone know how the go-fast/wheeling is in the Raleigh Durham area of North Carolina is?
The 2 hour drive to the Vegas airport Tuesday morning took 3.5 because of flowing water/accidents in the rain
Got through the Vegas airport and barely caught my flight(they started boarding before I got through security even)
Then the hotel shuttle that was going to take me to the interview per the email instructions I received, would not so I had to pay for a cab to/from
Found out that morning that our favorite politician was not only visiting Raleigh on Wednesday, but doing a speech AT the place I interviewed
I got in, had a tag team interview of several important people and a few hours of questioning done, got out as the roadblocks were being set up so I could catch my flight home
get home finally at 1230am Thursday morning, after getting up at the equivalent of 3:30 am for an interview on the east coast, conck out get some sleep get up and have an interview locally today.
After the whole ordeal, I came home and took a nap, as I was straight wore out from all the travel/being cooped up in little airline seats ect.
Wake up to a voicemail from the company in NC offering me a job that I am seriously thinking about taking. 90% of what I made at Intel with all the same benefits/bonuses, even with the economy in the dumps
Gonna pester the city see if they will offer me the job here in Lake Havasu, but not holding my breath, and probably a 20k a year difference in pay between them too.
Tough decisions, anyone know how the go-fast/wheeling is in the Raleigh Durham area of North Carolina is?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
