Page 1 of 1
ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:06 pm
by mobil1syn
ford really needs to make this a CARB legal crate motor for the 1/2 ton GVWR.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/engines/#godzilla
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:41 pm
by Wrightracing.net
I like the Idea of that engine with the 10 speed transmission in my Bronco.
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:13 am
by PaulW
Or you need to figure out how to register a modified Bronco/pickup that does no have a CARB legal motor.
Sure enough it is being done.
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:16 am
by Wrightracing.net
Ha ha, my Bronco is going to be Registered as a 1972, so I think I am good


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:10 pm
by mobil1syn
PaulW wrote: ↑Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:13 am
Or you need to figure out how to register a modified Bronco/pickup that does no have a CARB legal motor.
Sure enough it is being done.
there are plenty of ways around the emission side of things, but they take time and not every paper pusher is aware of the rules, which means arguing and taking up more of my time. if FORD offered an engine swap kit with the CARB EO then there is no argument. meet the requirements, get sticker, be on my merry way. gm had a CARB legal 5.3 for GVWR up to 7200lbs but discontinued it. the current selction of ERODs are only good for up to a GVWR of 5700lbs.
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:27 pm
by ChaseTruck754
mobil1syn wrote: ↑Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:10 pm
there are plenty of ways around the emission side of things, but they take time and not every paper pusher is aware of the rules, which means arguing and taking up more of my time. if FORD offered an engine swap kit with the CARB EO then there is no argument. meet the requirements, get sticker, be on my merry way. gm had a CARB legal 5.3 for GVWR up to 7200lbs but discontinued it. the current selction of ERODs are only good for up to a GVWR of 5700lbs.
Random, but it seems you have some knowledge here, so I'll ask. Do you know what GVRW the LS3 Erod chevy motor is good to? This whole motor having to be same class or GVRW thing is frustrating. I used to know the smog rules, but everything has changed so much in the last 15+ years. When I put the supercharged 3.8L Ford in my ranger back in 2001 or so none of this same vehicle class BS existed. I'd now love to shove a 5.3L LS in a 1st gen exploder but I don't think I can.
And yes, as you mention the work of trying to work through/around the alternate registration procedures are annoying and super time consuming. As it was when I tried to smog my ranger I'd get sent to a BAR referee just for a basic, annual smog as none of the regular smog guys wanted to touch it with the CARB sticker on it. Sounds like some of that fear of the CARB sticker is going away, but maybe not enough.
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:52 pm
by mobil1syn
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:19 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Thank you! I thought the EROD was good, but hadn't found confirming info yet. I really want a cheap swap, meaning a junkyard LS series I swap in, but it seems like that's a no go from what I've been reading due to it not coming in a light enough vehicle that is comparable to the 1st gen exploder. Found something on the EROD and it seemed good - so thanks for verifying that. Now just to get over the sticker shock of the thing lol...
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:20 pm
by mobil1syn
ChaseTruck754 wrote: ↑Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:19 pm
Thank you! I thought the EROD was good, but hadn't found confirming info yet. I really want a cheap swap, meaning a junkyard LS series I swap in, but it seems like that's a no go from what I've been reading due to it not coming in a light enough vehicle that is comparable to the 1st gen exploder. Found something on the EROD and it seemed good - so thanks for verifying that. Now just to get over the sticker shock of the thing lol...
if you wanted to try the junkyard angle, h3 alpha and trailblazer SS might be the ticket.
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:38 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Awesome - thanks. I was racking my brain trying to think what would have come with a v8 in the smaller package. I Thought of the S-10 typhoon, but that's a truck. This while "same platform, same GVWR" BS kills a lot of the fun.
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:48 pm
by mobil1syn
ooh and colorados as well.
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:14 pm
by 24hours
GMC cyclone too.
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:17 pm
by 24hours
Nevermind. The cyclone and typhoon both had v6’s.
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:20 pm
by 24hours
No edit sucks. Chasetruck can’t you swap in a V8 into a first Gen Explorer since the second Gen Explorers had the v-8 option?
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:53 am
by ChaseTruck754
I'd want an LS series, not the 302 that came in the 2nd gen. With the way the current rules were reading I wasn't sure that was possible as the motor being used for the swap has to come from a vehicle in the same class and weight / same GVWR.
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:03 pm
by mobil1syn
24hours wrote: ↑Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:20 pm
No edit sucks. Chasetruck can’t you swap in a V8 into a first Gen Explorer since the second Gen Explorers had the v-8 option?
buddy had one of those in his exploder and it was not impressive and had almost no aftermarket support
Re: ford CARB legal crate motor
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:53 pm
by 24hours
Gotcha