Fitness / Good livin' thread

User avatar
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Posts: 4313
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 am
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies
Location: South O.C.
Contact:

Post by robertcrav »

Hey Matt..that's awesome and best of luck! My wife has been a personal trainer/group fitness instructor for 15yrs. Send me an email, I will hook you up with a buddy of mine starting a new fitness company to help those in the industry
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Fitness thread?

Post by yikes »

I F'ercise. That's all. Need Rick to elaborate on his plan. Sounds like it's more for me.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Fitness thread?

Post by SteveG »

Someone the the training group I follow online posted that they did 600 sit-ups in an hour. A year ago I would have simply laughed it off and moved on to something much less productive. These days I'm a lot more... "why the hell not?" 10 sit-ups a minute, fingers laced behind the head, for an hour. Performed right in the living room with Mama and the kiddos, so I didn't lose family time. I'm happy to say it wasn't all that bad. I lost my decent form at about 450 and extend my hands to finish the last few of every set then on all of them toward the end... but it's done and it was something different.

Brian, quit sandbagging. I know you've been out there killing it on the hiking and backpacking. Show us some of those photos, man!
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Not a bad way to hike. I'm sure it's lighter than a ruck, but more entertaining for sure. Especially with the up close & personal sound of crackers being munched right in your ear!
7-10-15 Hiking - Bend.JPG
7-10-15 Hiking - Bend.JPG (162.19 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
User avatar
93Broncobuff
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:18 pm
Bronco Info: 1993, 351w, K&N,4" Bilstein 5100 lift, procomp coils, SSFAB Beams, Giant R/A's
Location: Huntington Beach, California

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by 93Broncobuff »

Thats bitchin Steve!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by SteveG »

That's the BEST way, Steve.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Fitness thread?

Post by yikes »

SteveG wrote:Brian, quit sandbagging. I know you've been out there killing it on the hiking and backpacking. Show us some of those photos, man!
Sandbagging? When I'm in shape and 175lbs you can call it sandbagging. Right now, not so much. Haha!


I started getting a little exercise after my wife told me I wasn't allowed to move up to the next pant size. It was a bit of a wake up call and I realized how much fitness I've lost over the past decade since quitting the mtb thing. We started hiking the local "hill" after work back in Jan/Feb. It was painful. Frequent stops; heart rate through the roof; burning muscles; dizziness and all sorts of uncomfortable. Stuck with it and started to feel stronger after 3 weeks or so. 6 weeks in I had lost about 15lbs, was feeling like a million bucks and started planning a weekend backpacking trip with some friends. At that point I began hiking trails with over 20% grades and carrying weight from 15-30lbs...back to dieing on the trail. Wow! Slowly built up strength and in June hiked San Gorgonio. That was painful, once again. Carried an uncomfortable 40lb pack for 18 miles the first day, but made the summit. Check that off the list.

Since then I typically hike 4-5 miles 4-5 times a week, with 800-1200 ft of elevation gain. Weekends I might get a longer hike in, but it's tough to carve out time. Also started doing push-ups a few months back...hate the gym. I'll typically do 150 in the morning and 150 in the evening. I've always told my son that everything is good as long as the chest is in front of the gut. Haha! So I'm trying to practice my preachin. Should put more emphasis on the gut though, so recently I started doing a little ab work, but long way to go there. To date, I've lost about 15lbs and my belt is on the last loop. My goal is to get under 200lbs. Long way to go, but enjoying the ride.


My weekday gym...

Image
Image

My weekend gym...

Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by tcm glx »

That's freakin Cool B. That picture of you and Jose is the best!! What a killer way to spend time with him.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by SteveG »

I think that qualifies as killing, Brian. I think it's just a matter of getting out and doing something. We get stagnant if we don't push ourselves and stagnant is boring! We need to hook up one of these days for a backpacking trip.

I've yet to decide on today's PT but tomorrow I'm hitting the road at 5am for a ruck to SLO... gotta prep the shoulders for the Heavy.
nubreed71
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by nubreed71 »

Great pics Brian! Those weekday trails look awesome. We were supposed to do San Gorgonio but never got around to it. Looks killer!
User avatar
crisis88
Posts: 758
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:17 pm
Bronco Info: 94 fsb stock

Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by crisis88 »

Great idea on this thread Steve!! I started getting back in "shape" in March. March 16th to be exact. I started out at 222 lbs. I was feeling sluggish and unhealthy. 1 year to my 40th, I decided I would be in my best physical shape by then. I am right now at 185 and holding. 7 months to go!!

I changed my whole lifestyle and eating habits. Portion control and clean eating were the key!! I do hit the weights and cardio 6 days a week. I took a break from social media as part of my transformation. But those who follow me can tell you my level of commitment. Meal prep, portion control, clean eating, exercise, no junk, and one cheat day. My recipe for success.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by SteveG »

Damn, Jose! Well done! Clean eating is where it's at. Looking back now, it's amazing how much crap I used to put into my body. The funny part is how I used to view "radical" diet changes as crazy and for weirdos... now I'm totally one. When I first started, I cut out all starches and sugars and was super strict about it. I wasn't doing it for weight loss but between better eating and a little working out, I shed a bunch of fat. I am now not quite as strict but still eat Paleo-esque about 90% of the time. I actually end up eating more, a lot more, than I used to but I'm eating better and my metabolism has gone up... interesting as I've never been one of those guys.

I'm glad to see activity on this thread. I've thought about posting it for a long time but didn't know how many would be into it. Keep sharing, brothers. It helps keep those that are already working, in the game and might inspire someone that's just been thinking about it to get off his but and improve his life.

Iron sharpens iron.
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by tcm glx »

262 down to 244. Still have a longggggggg ways to go!! Jose pushed me when we went to Ocotillo back in March. He clearly is doing a better job, but im taking baby steps!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by SteveG »

There's nothing wrong with a long way to go as long as you're working for it. Fitness is a marathon, not a sprint... and not my quote.
User avatar
crisis88
Posts: 758
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:17 pm
Bronco Info: 94 fsb stock

Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by crisis88 »

Dang Tony!!! That's great!! We are going to have to start have gym or trail meets.. Haha.
User avatar
93Broncobuff
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:18 pm
Bronco Info: 1993, 351w, K&N,4" Bilstein 5100 lift, procomp coils, SSFAB Beams, Giant R/A's
Location: Huntington Beach, California

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by 93Broncobuff »

You guys are awsome! Brian thats n excellent hike! Tony your doing amazing! Im just wondering is anyone trying to gain weight though? My goal is to be 200lbs n 5% body fat.....im currently 187 and 10%...... anyone out there tryin ta make those gainz?


Also, those who go to gyms, which gyms do ya'll go to?



Matt
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by SteveG »

Just got home... 14 miles from my house to Mitchell Park in SLO with 45 lbs in my pack (plus 4 liters of water) and a 15lb kettle bell in my hands. Damn good livin', if you ask me.
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by Nick »

Holy crap! I'm tired and hungry just reading about all this stuff!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by SteveG »

Good food goes right along with working out (AKA: Good livin'). I eat some variation of this virtually every morning. The veggies change depending on availability but the idea is the same. Today it was sweet potato, broccoli, bell pepper, jalapeños, spinach, squash, turkey sausage and cauliflower and bacon (added after this photo). All pan fried in coconut oil or butter then scrambled with a few eggs... great way to start the day.
image.jpg
image.jpg (564.42 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
PaleRider
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:40 am
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco with aftermarket lift, BroncoAir bumpers

Fitness / Good livin' thread

Post by PaleRider »

Looks yummy.
Post Reply