New Welding gear

User avatar
Wrightracing.net
Posts: 2235
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.
Location: San Diego
Contact:

New Welding gear

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I just say the new Miller Weld-Mask with auto-darkening goggles.
Since I started welding as a teen, I have hated welding upside down and
In tight spaces. This finally seems like a solution. What do you think?

Image
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: New Welding gear

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

looks rad. My buddy had a leather hood with the typical screen/small window that we'd use when welding upside down. Pretty basic, but it worked. This looks way nicer, but I'm sure comes with a larger price tag.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
Wrightracing.net
Posts: 2235
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Post by Wrightracing.net »

$190 from Cyber Weld and free shipping.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: New Welding gear

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

That's not horrible, but still a lot for a just wile welding upside down hood. I think the leather hod was $40-60, but this was 10+ years ago now. Damn I'm getting old...
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
Wrightracing.net
Posts: 2235
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I know how you feel, I turned 44 this year. I know that's not old, but I feel old.

That is not bad on price. Now I say that after spending over $200 on a Miller Elite 10 or so years ago and I had problems with it and went to a cheap $50 big window no name non auto darkening helmet that Is great for bench welding. For me, another issue has been light coming in from behind me and making it hard to see. The one you mentioned would help that also.

It's time I try something new again. I really want an auto darkening one and maybe this time it will work. The one helmet I had looked at was almost $400. I don't weld enough right now to justify the price. I did just get asked if I wanted a job with Pro Comp as a welder, but it would be a cut in pay. They only pay $11-$13 an hour.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: New Welding gear

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Agreed the price isn't bad when compared to my Miller Elite (which I have had for 10 or so years now & love), but for something I wouldn't be welding in very often it's semi hard to justify. Now if this was going to be your only helmet & you'd be using it for everything then I could see it. Not sure I'd want to deal with putting that on every time as it seems like it may be a bit of a production. With the way I've been welding in recent years it's few & far between & little bits at a time. Almost hard to justify putting that contraption on for a 1 minute or less weld. Again if you're welding more consitantly & for longer periods your needs may vary greatly.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: New Welding gear

Post by Rmc »

I checked it out at the welding supply house about 2 days after it was debuted. Super Cool product but only good for quickly stuff. I'd sweat to death in it if used for long periods. It's absolutely perfect for tight spaces though and I will get one at some point when I need one.
Post Reply