HDRA Reno 500

Races, meets, etc
TrevorPiggott
Bronco Info: 99 F250 and a 1994 I started building but spends too much time sitting untouched...

HDRA Reno 500

Post by TrevorPiggott »

Curious to see who is coming up north to race/pit/spectate the race. It was awesome last year, can't wait for this time around.
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Re: HDRA Reno 500

Post by Broncodawg »

Being right in my backyard, have to get back on the horse, but only doing a road crossing this year....haha. They are taking a D9 to the nasty hillclimb to mellow it out some, but we'll see how long it takes to turn into a siltbed. Tech downtown should be should be bigger than last year, but sure be nice to see some more entries?
TrevorPiggott
Bronco Info: 99 F250 and a 1994 I started building but spends too much time sitting untouched...

Post by TrevorPiggott »

Broncodawg wrote:Being right in my backyard, have to get back on the horse, but only doing a road crossing this year....haha. They are taking a D9 to the nasty hillclimb to mellow it out some, but we'll see how long it takes to turn into a siltbed. Tech downtown should be should be bigger than last year, but sure be nice to see some more entries?
I'm really surprised that there are not more entries. Last year had its issues but was still an awesome race in my opinion . The spectating was amazing, I was stoked I could watch so much of the race course from our pit at main. The clover leaf setup made pitting amazingly easy as well. Really hoping to see a lot of last minute entries
HOONracing
Bronco Info: 1991 built for SCORE class 3 racing

Post by HOONracing »

We will be out there, I already entered the bronco for the race. We are racing sportsman for this race #2023. This is the first desert race for the bronco, so were hopping for the best. when I will post a pic of the new paint job when I get it all put back together, so you guys could recognize us, but im pretty sure it will be the only bronco racing.
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Heard from the dozer operator himself that the nasty hillclimb is not in the course this year as couldn't modify it to their satisfaction.
Best of luck with the broncos first race, we'll be pulling for you!
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

HOONracing wrote:We will be out there, I already entered the bronco for the race. We are racing sportsman for this race #2023. This is the first desert race for the bronco, so were hopping for the best. when I will post a pic of the new paint job when I get it all put back together, so you guys could recognize us, but im pretty sure it will be the only bronco racing.
Just watched you guys leave the line. Congratulations!! Can't wait to read a race report.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Hoonracing is at RM380. Just got a glimpse of them on the live feed. Good job guys!
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Hoons just went through the start/finish. I believe heading out for their last lap.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

I think they may have DNF'd. Not showing any more progress.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

yikes wrote:I think they may have DNF'd. Not showing any more progress.

According to Facebook, the tracker is off, but they are still running!!
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

What were you watching? Ionearth?
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Rmc wrote:What were you watching? Ionearth?
The Spotlive tracker on the HDRA website. Click on a car and it takes you to trackleaders.com where they have all kinds of cool info on the race progress.
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

They were heading out from main pit at 9:20 for the remainder of their last lap when I left. Everything looked good for a finish. They have a good crew and were doing a great job for a first dezert race.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

I did not realize that they actually had to do 4 laps, not 3. 81 mile laps. (Other pro classes did 5 laps, that's why they finished later than I had calculated) There were no race programs to reference. In any case the Hoon truck left for their last lap some time before the 1 a.m. cutoff after having a strong third lap. Also welded up a broken motor mount (welded it solid) on that last lap. They got stuck for over an hour and ended up pulling off at around RM 51 of the last lap out of time. A great first effort on a gnarly course. They reported there were tons of bent and broken race vehicles still lining the course.

I pulled out at 0400 this morning and got back to Sac before 0700. Kinda of strange coming back from a race without a sore neck or any bruises from the belts though. Enjoyed my time hanging out with the Hoon team, good group of people. Got some group photos, wish it had been up at the finish line. Yes Rick, Lulu was there. Heard Broncodawg on the radio, not sure how, he was many miles from us, his radio was working very well! I am curious to learn more about the new tracking system, especially the price. Seems that it conked out at the end or quit updating because even race operations seemed to be unable to find race vehicles.
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

Awesome effort for a first race there Hoon racing! You guys were pitted next to the 1440 team who are friends from Bishop. Wish I could have met you all, but had a ton of fun doing a checkpoint right where two loops come together. Got to see the unltds. ten times!! Something about bronco racers gets my blood going, so you probably saw me dancing around as you went by at RM 42 and RM 69...haha! Don can tell you more about that...haha.

As it got late, hadn't seen you , but new you were on your last lap, and as we were counting down the sweep cars, there you were, back in it, still running! Gave me a 5th wind, but then you timed out and called it, but excellent effort on a brutal course!!

Shoulda known the Mosses would come over the hill to the race as you guys are as much fans as racers. Didn't get out of there until 4 am either and caught a few zzzzzs before heading home.

Spot trackers worked pretty well considering HDRA stumbling, but the wifi went out late and they were lost with out it, until it came back up near the end. Given the caliber of Weatherman's radio work in Mex. over the years, not sure I'd let HDRA use that moniker at their races if I were Bob, IMHO!

Sam Beri breaking early sucked as he was putting on a clinic for the TTS, but then they took over and put on a good show. Both Herbsts, Green Army, TJ, Juan Carlos, Steele, and Grove among others provided some great entertainment even if passing was tough. The Cops TT 50 got a new tranny at my check that took a few hours. Got to hang with Busby and Dale Dondell who built the car. Their race commentary was epic!

Race retrievers had a rough day with the carnage, so I was glad to be holding down a checkpoint this year. Overall a great race, and I'll work it again.
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

The class 10 team took home a WIN as well as won the Dakar challenge!
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

Congrats on the Class 10 win. Meant to mention what a great race Class ten put on. Good stuff. Does that mean that they have the entry fee for Dakar locked up or more hoops to jump through?
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Watched the HDRA awards replay and the winning Class 10 did indeed win the Dakar entry. Congrats to them!

There were only a handful of the winners there to accept their awards, and none of the unlimiteds were there except for Justin Davis. Those Sunday afternoon awards are hard to make it to when you have your own bed waiting for you at home. Didn't realize that they hand out awards even for DNF's based on how far they went. 2023 and the Hoon team came away with a win! The UTV winner waited to finish their last lap until second place came in, they didn't want to spend any more time then they had to out there.
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Broncodawg wrote:Congrats on the Class 10 win. Meant to mention what a great race Class ten put on. Good stuff. Does that mean that they have the entry fee for Dakar locked up or more hoops to jump through?
I think it means we are going to the Dakar! Not sure on the politics...
HOONracing
Bronco Info: 1991 built for SCORE class 3 racing

Post by HOONracing »

Hoon Racing race report is up on our race vehicle page and we also have pictures of the race up.
heres the link
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 815#p81815