Page 1 of 2
Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:07 pm
by SuperSixAxis
Okay, I am a pretty worldly guy but this will be my first Baja 1000. I was blessed enough to be able to afford the trip home from Hawaii and will land at LAX on WED.
Does anyone have any pointers for making the trip and is anyone willing to let me ride along. I will definately pitch in with my share of gas and supplies! Would rather not drive the new 96 Project but if I have to I will
If not just advice on where to watch from, where is it safe to camp in the truck. Is it cool to drive to San Felipe to spectate or is the Start Finish line the best viewing area?
Will my stock 96 Eddie Bauer have a solid shot of winning the Class 3 title? (I have custom dents in the roof that allow more downforce!
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:08 am
by philofab
Make sure you go with someone else who has been down there before. The drive to SF from LA can be dangerous (twisty roads and sketchy truck drivers).
Going alone on your first trip is not recommended.
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:47 am
by hobbyturnedobsession
I definately agree. Keep with someone who knows exactly what their doing. If your going with people from this site you are in good hands. My first trip was the Baja HID Excursion and these guys know what their doing.
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:09 pm
by SuperSixAxis
I got a cool PM from Andy(SilverSlk) about linking up. I really am bummed but it looks like without a Lowrance/Radio/Co-Rider plus I don't know the history of the new project I am having to sit a few hours north of the border and watch on RDC the race unfold!
It just is not smart this year.-James
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:23 pm
by tcm glx
James, heading down thursday is a non option? The guys Andy is going down with are a pain in the a$$ but you would be in good shape, great hands, and for sure have a good time.... just a thought.
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:24 pm
by tcm glx
hobbyturnedobsession wrote: My first trip was the Baja HID Excursion and these guys know what their doing.
Thumbs up!!!
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:54 pm
by SuperSixAxis
Yeah, Thurs is a No-Go.
Starting next year I will be at these events regularly, this 1000 was a rush attempt that was too hasty!
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:04 pm
by flyinbronco
SuperSixAxis wrote:Yeah, Thurs is a No-Go.
Starting next year I will be at these events regularly, this 1000 was a rush attempt that was too hasty!
If you had posted this a week ago I would have given you a tour of Baja but my right seat got filled last Saturday. Sorry.
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:20 pm
by shockseals.com
If youre going to spectate...just go to san felipe. The 500 and 1000 are not that great for spectating.
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:27 pm
by SuperSixAxis
flyinbronco wrote:SuperSixAxis wrote:Yeah, Thurs is a No-Go.
Starting next year I will be at these events regularly, this 1000 was a rush attempt that was too hasty!
If you had posted this a week ago I would have given you a tour of Baja but my right seat got filled last Saturday. Sorry.
Looking forward to that trip sometime! I will ask sooner next time or better yet, I will get my GFB built and can follow you!!!

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:33 pm
by tcm glx
SuperSixAxis wrote: I will get my GFB built and can follow you!!!

Good luck... we have all tried to follow Rick and he has a habit of well, just haulin the mail. hahahahaha!!! HUCKMASTER Rick can scoot in his Bronco!!!
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:51 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
He does more than scoot Tony, he flat hauls a$$.
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:35 am
by AussieRod
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:09 am
by flyinbronco
come on guys your making me blush.

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:48 pm
by AussieRod
Dont be modest, Mate, just tellin' it like it is

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:02 pm
by BajaBronco13
X2 on Rick hauling the mail. On the second day of the BajaHID Excursion run well Rick was leading and I was the second vehicle, Agui and I lost sight of Rick so we followed the dust clouds he created, lol. Man o man was he moving.
Chris
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:09 pm
by AussieRod
Chris, you know it! It was a fun ride, until the rear shock mount cried enough. Then we turned to helping Jackie get the Jeep rolling again, and then we all teamed up to help get the Frankenbolt onto White Lightning's loose radius arm and bring it home.
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:11 pm
by flyinbronco
BajaBronco13 wrote:X2 on Rick hauling the mail. On the second day of the BajaHID Excursion run well Rick was leading and I was the second vehicle, Agui and I lost sight of Rick so we followed the dust clouds he created, lol. Man o man was he moving.
Chris
Looks like all these years at the Moss Brothers Racing School is paying off. I'll have my Masters Degree hopefully by this time next year.
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:46 pm
by SuperSixAxis
Looks like I will be going after all! Meeting up with Chris and driving the new project down!
I am so excited!!!!
Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:03 pm
by tcm glx
SuperSixAxis wrote:Looks like I will be going after all! Meeting up with Chris and driving the new project down!
I am so excited!!!!
A good time will be had, no worries about that James!!