Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Races, meets, etc
User avatar
SuperSixAxis
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:11 pm
Bronco Info: 1996 5.8, E4OD
Location: Honolulu, Hi(Vegas 2012)
Contact:

Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by SuperSixAxis »

Okay, I am a pretty worldly guy but this will be my first Baja 1000. I was blessed enough to be able to afford the trip home from Hawaii and will land at LAX on WED.

Does anyone have any pointers for making the trip and is anyone willing to let me ride along. I will definately pitch in with my share of gas and supplies! Would rather not drive the new 96 Project but if I have to I will :o

If not just advice on where to watch from, where is it safe to camp in the truck. Is it cool to drive to San Felipe to spectate or is the Start Finish line the best viewing area?

Will my stock 96 Eddie Bauer have a solid shot of winning the Class 3 title? (I have custom dents in the roof that allow more downforce!
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by philofab »

Make sure you go with someone else who has been down there before. The drive to SF from LA can be dangerous (twisty roads and sketchy truck drivers).

Going alone on your first trip is not recommended.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I definately agree. Keep with someone who knows exactly what their doing. If your going with people from this site you are in good hands. My first trip was the Baja HID Excursion and these guys know what their doing.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
SuperSixAxis
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:11 pm
Bronco Info: 1996 5.8, E4OD
Location: Honolulu, Hi(Vegas 2012)
Contact:

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by SuperSixAxis »

I got a cool PM from Andy(SilverSlk) about linking up. I really am bummed but it looks like without a Lowrance/Radio/Co-Rider plus I don't know the history of the new project I am having to sit a few hours north of the border and watch on RDC the race unfold!

It just is not smart this year.-James
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by tcm glx »

James, heading down thursday is a non option? The guys Andy is going down with are a pain in the a$$ but you would be in good shape, great hands, and for sure have a good time.... just a thought.
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by tcm glx »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote: My first trip was the Baja HID Excursion and these guys know what their doing.

Thumbs up!!!
User avatar
SuperSixAxis
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:11 pm
Bronco Info: 1996 5.8, E4OD
Location: Honolulu, Hi(Vegas 2012)
Contact:

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by SuperSixAxis »

Yeah, Thurs is a No-Go.

Starting next year I will be at these events regularly, this 1000 was a rush attempt that was too hasty!
User avatar
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by flyinbronco »

SuperSixAxis wrote:Yeah, Thurs is a No-Go.

Starting next year I will be at these events regularly, this 1000 was a rush attempt that was too hasty!

If you had posted this a week ago I would have given you a tour of Baja but my right seat got filled last Saturday. Sorry.
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by shockseals.com »

If youre going to spectate...just go to san felipe. The 500 and 1000 are not that great for spectating.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
User avatar
SuperSixAxis
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:11 pm
Bronco Info: 1996 5.8, E4OD
Location: Honolulu, Hi(Vegas 2012)
Contact:

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by SuperSixAxis »

flyinbronco wrote:
SuperSixAxis wrote:Yeah, Thurs is a No-Go.

Starting next year I will be at these events regularly, this 1000 was a rush attempt that was too hasty!

If you had posted this a week ago I would have given you a tour of Baja but my right seat got filled last Saturday. Sorry.

Looking forward to that trip sometime! I will ask sooner next time or better yet, I will get my GFB built and can follow you!!! :mrgreen:
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by tcm glx »

SuperSixAxis wrote: I will get my GFB built and can follow you!!! :mrgreen:
Good luck... we have all tried to follow Rick and he has a habit of well, just haulin the mail. hahahahaha!!! HUCKMASTER Rick can scoot in his Bronco!!!
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

He does more than scoot Tony, he flat hauls a$$.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by AussieRod »

It aint called the "Flying Bronco" for nothin'. It doesnt leave many tyre tracks to follow either. Just ask Tony when Rick and I had point on Saturday arvo in Baja. :lol: :lol: :lol:
James, if you ever have the chance and are real nice to Rick, he might let you have the jump seat one day. Then you will understand. :D :D Autofab did a great job setting up Rick's Bronco, and Rick knows his beast well, and pushes it to its maximum all the time. In fact, if I was forced to choose between the rides in Bill Varnes' Silverado pre-runner and Rick's Flying Bronco, I would be in a real pickle. Plus, Rick is such a great, personable guy and real fun to be around. There wouldn't be many drivers better to co-dog with. :mrgreen:
User avatar
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by flyinbronco »

come on guys your making me blush. :oops:
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by AussieRod »

Dont be modest, Mate, just tellin' it like it is :lol: :lol:
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by BajaBronco13 »

X2 on Rick hauling the mail. On the second day of the BajaHID Excursion run well Rick was leading and I was the second vehicle, Agui and I lost sight of Rick so we followed the dust clouds he created, lol. Man o man was he moving.

Chris
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by AussieRod »

Chris, you know it! It was a fun ride, until the rear shock mount cried enough. Then we turned to helping Jackie get the Jeep rolling again, and then we all teamed up to help get the Frankenbolt onto White Lightning's loose radius arm and bring it home.
User avatar
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by flyinbronco »

BajaBronco13 wrote:X2 on Rick hauling the mail. On the second day of the BajaHID Excursion run well Rick was leading and I was the second vehicle, Agui and I lost sight of Rick so we followed the dust clouds he created, lol. Man o man was he moving.

Chris

Looks like all these years at the Moss Brothers Racing School is paying off. I'll have my Masters Degree hopefully by this time next year.
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
User avatar
SuperSixAxis
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:11 pm
Bronco Info: 1996 5.8, E4OD
Location: Honolulu, Hi(Vegas 2012)
Contact:

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by SuperSixAxis »

Looks like I will be going after all! Meeting up with Chris and driving the new project down!

I am so excited!!!!
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Baja 1000 tips for a new guy spectator! Please advise!

Post by tcm glx »

SuperSixAxis wrote:Looks like I will be going after all! Meeting up with Chris and driving the new project down!

I am so excited!!!!

A good time will be had, no worries about that James!!
Post Reply