Huckfest, anyone going?

Races, meets, etc
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Re: Huckfest, anyone going?

Post by robertcrav »

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I beamed Chevy? Built ford tough with Chevy stuff?
robertcrav
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

It's a Ford F1
drewbee88
Bronco Info: Rhonda the Bronco is her name, shredding dirt is her game.

Post by drewbee88 »

Higgins and chomp stole the show. Event was really unorganized. Who picks weatherman for communications for an event like that. I sure as hell wouldn't. Anyhoot. It was a fun time, the saggy did better than expected for a 30 yr old vehicle! Saw a few broncos and wanted to stop and talk just was always going somewhere and didn't have bs time! Here's the one and only shot I got of it in the dunes
uploadfromtaptalk1377538616176.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377538616176.jpg (74.06 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

SteveG wrote:What were you in, Agui?
I was in my grey '79 Bronco on 35-inch Pit Bull Rockers. First time I've taken it out far. Drove it from Los Angeles to Lompoc (accidentally took the wrong road thinking my buddies were waiting at a gas station around there after crossing the tunnel). Had a 1/4 tank of fuel left and was running hot since Santa Barbara. It was at 200 degrees (220 at one point after going 80 plus for quite a distance. Made it to the gas station at the top of the hill. Filled up and decided to check under the hood just to be safe.

Found the fan belt, which also runs the alternator, completely torn up and laying over the top of my engine. Called AAA and got towed the last 60 miles to the hotel in SLO. Got a fan belt in the morning and then headed for the dunes with the DJ's equipment (sorry about making you guys wait) Spent almost an hour idling in traffic and finally got in and headed for the jump area. I was only aired down to 17 so it started having trouble so I aired it down to 12.5 psi. Did better but it looks like I need to go down to 7 psi the next time. My new Camburg shackles did awesome in the sand and my rear end now stays planted instead of bucking up over the rollers.

I was pretty worried the whole time because my temperature was between 130-150 degrees the whole time in the dunes and I thought it might be completely dry. It was actually full of coolant and just happened to be running really well.

I logged over 450 miles on it this weekend and averaged about 7 mpg on the way to and from Pismo. The poor fuel economy didn't really bother me because I went up every hill (on the road not the dunes) like it was flat ground. The Bronco flew past everyone on the way up the steep grade on the 101 heading home. I had to go to the left lane since I was cruising up the grade at 73 mph. I was very impressed and none of the other cars that were on the highway could keep up with me up the hill.
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

Where's the build thread Agui?

:-)
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

:)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (126.01 KiB) Viewed 529 times
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Rmc wrote::)
I love it. Where are those guys from?
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

SteveG wrote:
Rmc wrote::)
I love it. Where are those guys from?
Portland. That pic looks like the Oregon Dunes.
drewbee88
Bronco Info: Rhonda the Bronco is her name, shredding dirt is her game.

Post by drewbee88 »

Yeah that was at dunefest this year
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

My buddy up in NorCal text it to me, he runs around with the dirt cinema guys. He wants me to beam his d-max and I'm nervous cause that's one hell of a heavy truck to mob through the dunes. I know it's been done already but this dude has no fear of jumping any truck. I've been telling him trophy truck hubs are a must if he's really serious.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Idk if a d50 would survive with that much weight.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

That's more or less what I suggested to him, modified d 50 or d60's (machined for more bolt holes) custom knuckles, and beams with some decent plating and he should be ok. The whole thing will need to be very overbuilt if he plans on abusing it the way he has his 1/2 tons.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

In the mean time I suggested he focus on the engine hop ups, I suggested he call Russ at maximum desiels for some advise, that dude builds some peppy desiel's.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Tell him to call ppe. They did my father in laws' dmax and its down right insane.
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

SteveG wrote:
300 wrote:Well you have the stapler right there...............
My original thought wasn't much better... use a handful of hose clamps to tie a couple rounds together and run it!

I ended up finding a coil at Poly Performance... going back together right now.
uploadfromtaptalk1377270877613.jpg
Wow.....what a weekend! Not sure if Agui gets the prize or we do. One thing is for sure - Steve is the man and just a plain 'ole nice guy. Here's my Part One recap of the events and unfortunately you'll have to wait for the After The Show Show pictures tomorrow.

We load the Bronco on the trailer Wednesday night, and I usually put it in 4 Low just to make it easy. Push the button.....nothing.....no 4WD, no low range and no lights. Up it goes in 2WD no problem and we lock it down. It's hot in Santa Clarita and we're at my hitch builder 8AM Thursday morning and then out of here to the beach! Steve lives right near Pismo and I'll call him to see if he knows anyone at the Ford dealer there so I can get them to look at it. Not knowing him well enough to know better, Steve says "bring it to my place" and I'm thinking he means his house. Not the case.....Steve works at an indy shop right near the dunes! How lucky are we?

We pull the RV and Bronco right in and Steve puts a tech right on it. A short while later they deem the shifter motor bad and there's not a replacement in town. We agree to manually lock it in 4 Hi and we're outta there right? Nope! Steve's tech sees the broken coil on his way out from underneath and now we're really having fun. Of course there are no external numbers and if it's a King coil the engraved numbers are not able to be seen installed.....perfect. I can smell the beach from here and now I'm getting antsy!

Steve asks if I want them to pull it and hopefully find something. I'm thinking we'll just cruise it and deal with it when we get home. I think Steve could see my mind working and somehow I think he knew I wouldn't be able to deal with nursing a broken leg so I took it off the trailer, gave it to them and left for the campground. Paige and I no sooner set up, take a walk and open a few Dos Equis before Steve calls and says he got the spring off, found another he'd have that evening and would have it ready to go in the morning. Are you kidding me??? Steve calls at 8:30AM Friday morning and wants to come pick us up to take us back to his shop and the Bronco. This is pure Customer Service folks.

Paige and I get back to camp and later roll to the dunes. I carefully air down the GSA's, not knowing what they'll do with that stiff sidewall and no beadlocks. We cruise the beach and over to the event area to se who's setting up. They're putting up the orange fence so we head out and need to take out some more air. We're down to 18 PSI now.....still looks full but changing tires is no fun. We pop out of Sand Highway and step in to the vendor area next to BJ's truck and hangout. Not much going on except the 'Billers and I'm thirsty so back to camp we go.

Tired sorry.....4AM comes early tomorrow. Part Two and pictures then.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Randy what city is ppe in? Do they have a website? He was asking about live wire and desiels are not my forte.
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

robertcrav wrote:Where's the build thread Agui?

:-)
No build thread just yet. I'll have to take some pictures and start one when I get the chance.

It's a project vehicle for Off-Road magazine and I've done a few tech stories with it here and there.

I haven't done too much to it other than a Cage Offroad long arm kit that cycles 12 inches of travel. The rear looks to be a 3-inch lift spring with a 2-inch block. It also now has Camburg shackles.

It's powered by a Big Block 460 with a Weiand high rise manifold, Holley Truck Avenger off-road 770 CFM carb and has a full MSD ignition system and distributor. Also cranks much faster and easier thanks to a Powermaster XS starter. Trans is a stock C6 and is backed by an NP205 T-case. It also has 4.56 gears front and rear.

Tires as i mentioned before are 35 inch Pit Bull Rockers on 15x10 Forged Centerline wheels.

That's about all there is to that truck. I've had it since I was 19 and I've logged under 2000 miles on it with the rebuilt 460 that was one of the first things I did when I took ownership.
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Part Two with pictures:

On Saturday morning I'm antsy again and Steve's a bit delayed, so Paige and I hit the beach and tell Steve we'll catch up with them out at the 'Fest. We arrive trackside before 9 and the place is already a zoo. It was hard to see the configuration so we head down to a ridge and find a spot. On the way the front diff is making a few nasty noises so I back it off. We dump a little more air to 15 PSI and pop up on the ridge.....the noise is not good.

Paige and I immediately make friends with these guys who drove all the way from Arizona. I have to say, from first look these cats would not be someone I'd usually warm up to but they obviously weren't scumbags and we laughed and watched Huckfest (aka Waitfest) when we could and the sometimes the more entertaining Stuckfest in the canyon adjacent the rest of the time.
IMG_2844 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2844 (Medium).JPG (176.36 KiB) Viewed 436 times
We talked to Steve but the Bronco was boxed in so we couldn't go looking for him.....later we found out we wouldn't have been able to anyway. We had our beverages, snacks and lunch. Paige took a nap up on the rack (sorry I forgot to take that picture). Eventually folks began to leave and opened the door. We bid the AZ boys goodbye and decided to go look for Steve, Bob & Brandon.
IMG_2846 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2846 (Medium).JPG (177.54 KiB) Viewed 436 times
The 15 PSI was feeling better and we squeezed out into the canyon bottom. I roll it on and the front diff is really banging now. We back it down again and try to ease it out.....no way. By this time our AZ buddies show back up just about the time Paige's dead phone gets an SOS out to Steve. Steve rolls up to the rescue just about the time we're tied up to the AZ boys, I unlock the hubs and we sprint for the top of the canyon.

We park it there and hop in with Steve who takes us to their hangout, about a stones throw from where the Bronco is parked. BJ finally shows up and we watch a bit more before thoughts of BBQ kick in. We agree to pack it in when the show seems to have closed and Bob decides to be the tow master. Steve looks for the best route and we decide it's best to make a 2WD run for it right past the spot where Paige and I hung out most of the day.

Steve and Bob decide to roll the dice for us, and they take my GSA's to 8 PSI. Down we go with Steve clearing the way and Bob running chase. No problem.....the thing actually goes pretty good and tires are still on the bead! Across the beach we go with a few thousand others and agree to meet at camp to get our food & drink on.
IMG_2897 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2897 (Medium).JPG (263.62 KiB) Viewed 436 times
IMG_2901 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2901 (Medium).JPG (270.9 KiB) Viewed 436 times
We fire up the Q and the blender, just ready to go when Steve, Bob & Brandon show up. We had a tasty meal and great conversation.....perfect end to a very nice (though a little long and boring a few times) day in the dunes. Paige would agree that the boys were nothing but gracious house guests.....I'd expect a GFB crowd to be no different. They took their full bellies on home and Paige & I took a nice walk before crashing.

Sorry I lied.....Part Three (Sunday's After the Show Show pictures) tomorrow.
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Part Three - BJ looks like RG:

Paige and I decided to stay until Monday because everything (short of the Bronco's issues) was working out so well. The weather was great and the campground was quiet. After breakfast on Sunday we decide to wheel our new 2WD Bronco back over to the beach and see what's going on. By this time many folks are packing up and already headed out, but the BJ tent still looks somewhat intact so we point it back to the "Fest site.

On the way in we saddle up to another Bronco from OC, looking fairly GoFast with a nice guy and his GF at the wheel. They're struggling a bit so we give them a gage to dump some air from their Toyos and off we go. During our time together I reminded my new Bronco buddy that he needed to join GFB. We pull up to the top of the ramp and find BJ with a few 1400 trucks amongst a small but growing crowd. This is where the trip just went cool. One of the 1400 trucks is just hucking it lap after lap, and BJ begins to play.
IMG_2890 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2890 (Medium).JPG (80.67 KiB) Viewed 409 times
IMG_2864 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2864 (Medium).JPG (86.71 KiB) Viewed 409 times
I give the RG reference because in earlier days we used to watch Robby play really hard and have fun at Glamis during Thanksgiving weekend. BJ looked like he was relaxed and feeling the same way. All bashing aside, I'm sure the Dirt Cinema boys did the best they could with Huckfest and dealing with the State is no party. The entire combination no doubt had a large negative effect on what many of us viewed as a lackluster show. The long arm of the law kept the fun we saw on Sunday from happening on Saturday.

Just about the time these trucks really start rolling them off, BJ and one of the 1400's come up in parallel and rip one off. We were a little further back so I wasn't prepared with the camera.....but got this shot and got some respect back for BJ when I could see him off the nipple and playing with his compadres.
IMG_2878 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2878 (Medium).JPG (75.28 KiB) Viewed 409 times
BJ then took to more RG-like antics, ripping around the bowls and finding all kinds of things to jump and play with.
IMG_2884 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2884 (Medium).JPG (81.12 KiB) Viewed 409 times
I can only put up 4 pictures at a time.....