How dare you mention firsthand knowledge that is actually related to this incident?? You sir are out of lineAndy Jones wrote:Right on... I was just saying, what they thought started the fire.. That's all..MOSS2 wrote:Bottom line it makes no difference what sparked the fire. You just cannot hose down a hot race car with gallons of fuel and expect things to be okay. Making sparkless impact wrenches and anti static pants is not the answer.
2012 SCORE Baja 1000
- economig
- Posts: 1101
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:15 am
- Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L
- Location: SW Riverside County
Re: 2012 SCORE Baja 1000
T H R E A T Motorsports
- Andy Jones
- Posts: 2209
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 pm
- Bronco Info: In the Works!
- Location: Canyon Lake,ca
- Contact:
Re: 2012 SCORE Baja 1000
My Bad!..economig wrote:How dare you mention firsthand knowledge that is actually related to this incident?? You sir are out of lineAndy Jones wrote:Right on... I was just saying, what they thought started the fire.. That's all..MOSS2 wrote:Bottom line it makes no difference what sparked the fire. You just cannot hose down a hot race car with gallons of fuel and expect things to be okay. Making sparkless impact wrenches and anti static pants is not the answer.
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
-
300
- Posts: 647
- Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:44 pm
- Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.
Re: 2012 SCORE Baja 1000
Remember all electric impacts have brushes in the motor and there are always tiny sparks when they are running. Accidents are made up of a chain of events leading up to the actual accident. Eliminate the links in the accident chain with planning and preparation.
- AussieRod
- Posts: 2818
- Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
- Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
- Location: Downunder
Re: 2012 SCORE Baja 1000
In Aus, all off roading events have a seperate area cordoned off for refuelling ONLY. No work is allowed in that area, and only the required personnel are allowed in there. The engine must be turned off, and driver (and co-driver if applicable) MUST be out of the vehicle during fuel transfer. No ifs or buts. ANY breach of these rules mean immediate DQ. Officials are ALWAYS monitoring refuelling, and a dedicated fire crew is on hand to tackle any fire issues.
- economig
- Posts: 1101
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:15 am
- Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L
- Location: SW Riverside County
Re: 2012 SCORE Baja 1000
After that video and several other fires, I think this would be a good rule. Hard to coordinate in remote locations but doable and it should take priority over pit strategies IMO.AussieRod wrote:In Aus, all off roading events have a seperate area cordoned off for refuelling ONLY. No work is allowed in that area, and only the required personnel are allowed in there. The engine must be turned off, and driver (and co-driver if applicable) MUST be out of the vehicle during fuel transfer. No ifs or buts. ANY breach of these rules mean immediate DQ. Officials are ALWAYS monitoring refuelling, and a dedicated fire crew is on hand to tackle any fire issues.
T H R E A T Motorsports
- AussieRod
- Posts: 2818
- Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
- Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
- Location: Downunder
Re: 2012 SCORE Baja 1000
It only takes 1 SCORE official with a Satphone and radio to oversee a refuelling point at each pit area. Pit areas need to be combined and properly supervised to keep crowds out and allow vehicles to be serviced safely. I know it's Mexico, but like I said before, just 1 local needs to be seriously hurt or worse, and its all gone. I dont care if its gringo or Mex, if they get hurt in a fire, all hell will break loose. I'd prefer to err on the side of safety every time. I have a story to tell about vehicle fires, but it can wait.economig wrote:After that video and several other fires, I think this would be a good rule. Hard to coordinate in remote locations but doable and it should take priority over pit strategies IMO.AussieRod wrote:In Aus, all off roading events have a seperate area cordoned off for refuelling ONLY. No work is allowed in that area, and only the required personnel are allowed in there. The engine must be turned off, and driver (and co-driver if applicable) MUST be out of the vehicle during fuel transfer. No ifs or buts. ANY breach of these rules mean immediate DQ. Officials are ALWAYS monitoring refuelling, and a dedicated fire crew is on hand to tackle any fire issues.
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: 2012 SCORE Baja 1000
I'd LOOOOVE to see 1 score official controlling all that in Mex.
I don't disagree that it's a good idea, but the reality of it is a long ways out IF it ever comes to SCORE. I can see it coming to the US races, but Mexico is just a different beast - especially the 1k.
I don't disagree that it's a good idea, but the reality of it is a long ways out IF it ever comes to SCORE. I can see it coming to the US races, but Mexico is just a different beast - especially the 1k.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: 2012 SCORE Baja 1000
It takes 2-4 people just to control the crowd around the Yokohama Semi truck when a TT comes in.AussieRod wrote:It only takes 1 SCORE official with a Satphone and radio to oversee a refuelling point at each pit area. Pit areas need to be combined and properly supervised to keep crowds out and allow vehicles to be serviced safely. I know it's Mexico, but like I said before, just 1 local needs to be seriously hurt or worse, and its all gone. I dont care if its gringo or Mex, if they get hurt in a fire, all hell will break loose. I'd prefer to err on the side of safety every time. I have a story to tell about vehicle fires, but it can wait.
*** EDIT ***
At 2AM in Borrego, miles away from any city. Zoo road, Encenada, and other areas are even crazier.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
- economig
- Posts: 1101
- Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:15 am
- Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L
- Location: SW Riverside County
Re: 2012 SCORE Baja 1000
Yeah, my experience in Baja makes me think too objectively. Seen way too much retarded stuff down there, too big of crowds, too much crime to believe it will ever realistically change in *CERTAIN* ways 
T H R E A T Motorsports
