Freedom 250

Races, meets, etc
crisis88
Bronco Info: 94 fsb stock

Freedom 250

Post by crisis88 »

Did anyone go? I saw a few really nice broncos out. I even parked next to a really nice one. I said what's up to the owner, but I didn't see the GFB sticker until I started to drive away.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Re: Freedom 250

Post by Polarcub »

I was there....you should have stopped by the pits and said hi man.
crisis88

Post by crisis88 »

Damn I wish I would have known. I was at main in tonelli's camp for a while.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

crisis88 wrote:Did anyone go? I saw a few really nice broncos out. I even parked next to a really nice one. I said what's up to the owner, but I didn't see the GFB sticker until I started to drive away.

You parked next to mine (1995 green/tan eddie bauer) and said hi, but mine isnt really nice.... haha
crisis88

Post by crisis88 »

Silverslk wrote:
crisis88 wrote:Did anyone go? I saw a few really nice broncos out. I even parked next to a really nice one. I said what's up to the owner, but I didn't see the GFB sticker until I started to drive away.

You parked next to mine (1995 green/tan eddie bauer) and said hi, but mine isnt really nice.... haha
Haha. Yes it looked very clean and capable. I wish I would have seen your GFB sticker when I pulled up. I would have been a little more social.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

crisis88 wrote: I wish I would have seen your GFB sticker when I pulled up. I would have been a little more social.
GFB Snob
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

How did Matt do? I wasn't able to make it out and haven't heard anything.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

yikes wrote:How did Matt do? I wasn't able to make it out and haven't heard anything.
5th place..........a few minor issues with the suspension, a flat, and en late in the night while Jer was driving, they got lost. All in, still was running super fast, this car has some serious potential!
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

LOL. Let's pitch in for a GPS. Jer! What do you have to say for yourself?! Haha!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Bummer. Still better than a DNF!

As for the GPS - Matt & I were talking one for him not too long ago but he had to buckle down finances wise for a bit so the talks went on hold.
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

yikes wrote:LOL. Let's pitch in for a GPS. Jer! What do you have to say for yourself?! Haha!

oh Geez.....I knew this was coming :lol: ...For the record I had not been around the course at all.....That being said....Matt and Gary did a great job! The first 4 laps we basically led the race both physically and on time. Lap 1 no issues, Lap 2 the right side wheel bearing was loose I tightened it and the left front torsion springs started breaking (left side was relying strictly on shock) Lap 3 left side flat and discovered the left spring plate was bashed bad (bending outer plate)...Lap 4 Matt was not doing well in the heat car beat up and I was given the word to get ready...Lap 5 I hop in and drove way too conservative ( I was really worried about the rear end and left front) Lap 7 Feeling better about the status of the car and worried about time started pushing a bit on the car (had to really restrain even sick she handles so good)...somewhere around mm 12-13 Dad and I blew a turn we continued a bit realizing we were not on course back tracked and could not find the course (hind sight we should have gone farther) Course was very quiet as well as it was late and attrition this year was high. Gary and I got our bearings and finally were able to make our way back we crossed and were given the checker our snafu cost us 2 spots....Both Dad and I are still unsure of exactly how we got ourselves off track a rookie mistake. A gps is in the plans to prevent such mistakes in the future (Steve I was going to give you a shout) We will be looking for a 5" the 7" is too big for the car...so you I Fd up and I am not happy about it. Dmaage is still being assessed on the car and the hope is we will be ready for September.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

You guys are going to get a win soon and you know I'm just giving you a hard time Jer. Keep at it! Sorry I couldn't make it.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Vroooom vroom

yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Some awesome shots of Matt at the above link.
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

yikes wrote:You guys are going to get a win soon and you know I'm just giving you a hard time Jer. Keep at it! Sorry I couldn't make it.
No worries B, the win is coming we have just had some bad luck in a few areas and I knew you were just busting my chops...its kinda funny when you werent driving LOL haha
fixxor
Bronco Info: 03 Ranger 4x4 no more bronco :(

Post by fixxor »

990 looked good every time it went by us. Good to see you again Jermey, car looked real nice. Just need to finish my 11!
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

Thanks Carl....The new car is awesome it drives so nice its almost scary! Get that 11 out it will be good to see it running!
mrmatt
Bronco Info: I don't have a bronco but all of my chase crew does

Post by mrmatt »

Well, Jeremy summed it up pretty well but I will post anyways.....

I would like to thank our sponsor ServPro of Apple Valley/Hesperia for their continued support of Kaveman Motorsports!

Thank you to everyone who made it out! With out you guys and girls their is no team and I couldn't be happier with our teams pit and chase talents. Always great pit stops and finding problems before they cause us a BIG problem on the course!! You are the best crew out there!

Also, I would like to thank all of you who follow us on Facebook, Go Fast Broncos and anywhere else. All the continued support from everyone weather it is in the pits or just on the computer means so much to all of us!! I am very proud of this team!

On to the race....

Friday.....Jeremy, Riley, Gary, Floy, Kayla and myself arrive in Barstow around midday and get camp and pits set up. Because of how stupid hot it is we decide to hold off on a test run until after tech. Tech went well as usual aside from the heat. We took Bettie to PCI to have the antenna and radio tuned (finally) and after that was done we loaded up and headed back to camp. Since we still had to adjust the lights it worked out great. Got the lights adjusted and took Bettie out for a 3 mile test run. We made some adjustments to the light bar and headed out for another 3 mile test run. Everything went well and after some mental conflict on my end....we make the call that Bettie is good to go! Time to relax as the evening cooled off well and made for a nice evening.

Saturday....

The morning and early afternoon were pretty uneventful as the race didnt start until 430 pm. Some people went to the hotel pool to cool off and some stayed and sat under Jason and Christine's mister system. I was pounding water all day long (which I believe proved to be a mistake). Around 3 pm the rest of the crew begins to arrive and now the excitment is building. Gary and I hit the drivers meeting and the return to main pit to get suited up. Just as we are getting in the car we get informed of some great news....Christine is on her way!!!

Off to the starting line we go. Lap 1, we start 5th of the line with Dennis Peterson in front of us. The field of swingers was a tough one for this race including Peterson, Torres, Taranto, Brown and Vizzio. We leave the line and very quickly the battle is on. We catch up to Peterson and the two of us start working our way to the front with Torres on our heels. Lap 1 went great with 990, 904 and 989 running up front, all 3 cars very close on time.

Lap2 started and very quickly I started making mistakes while trying too hard to chase down 904 and get in front of him (was tired of driving in his dust), I made a mistake right at the end of the pits and thanks to some luck and an incredible car, we didn't roll. I made several more mistakes early on in the lap and it took me a while to recover and get my groove back. We were still running up front (1st or 2nd on time) but the car was taking a pounding as well as Gary and I. After watching the GOPRO footage I realized I was trying way to hard.

We pit at the end of the lap. We dump fuel, and check over the car. The crew found a loose axle nut and Jeremy got it tightend up. Also, we found that we broke some springs up front.

Lap 3 started out much better than lap 2 and we were back in the groove and were setting down a good lap. Towards the end of the lap though the rear torssion bars began to sag out and the ride height of the car was lowered considerably causing us to start pounding the skid plate. We went on to get a flat tire as well. So we pull into the pits, get the tire changed and find that the left side spring plate stop is bent, bad. We decide to continue as the car was still working OK. And we are holding onto 3rd place still.

Lap 4 started well but between the broken front springs and the sagging torsion bars we were hitting the skid plate all over the place. All in all the car was still doing good though. Halfway through the lap we began to have what we thought was a shifter problem. We had to pull over twice on the course to get the car into gear. we get around to Hodge road where the Wood brothers are at and we have a long stop while I am trying to adjust the shifter. After getting it to where we think it is good we leave the pit and continue on. After a few miles we realize we are actually losing the clutch.We complete the lap (coming very close to rolling the car at the big sweeper turn, still trying to find the photog that was there in the corner! lol) to and pull into the pits for another long stop for Gary to look at clucth adjustment and I get out as well to look at the bent spring plate stop as it had gotten worse. After looking at the stop and getting a second opinion from Tut we elect to keep motoring on. Nothing could be done about the clutch so we crossed our fingers that it would hold on long enough to finish the race.

Lap 5 and frustration had set down on my side of the car. I was tired, sore and because I believe I over hydrated myself, was very nauseous. At the end of lap 5 I got out of the car and Jeremy took over the driving duties.

Lap 6 Jeremy and Gary did a great job of wheeling a bruised car around the course and holding onto 4th place. The clutch continued to get worse on Jeremy but he did a great job of getting Bettie around the course. Jeremy and Gary decide not to stop at the end of the lap an continue on to the finish.

Lap 7 brought a few new "issues" to compound the the existing issues for Jeremy and Gary to contend with and the race ended with 990 in 5th.

Once again I am so proud of this team and never giving up despite whatever issues come our way.

I am still so impressed by Bettie, even when she is not working perfect she is still fast and awesome to drive! Thank you Mike Cote for creating this incredible car. Thank you Tut for all your effort on her. Bettie is AWESOME!

Thank you again everyone for making Kaveman Motorsports a sucsesful race team!!