Page 1 of 1

84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:53 pm
by Caleb4130
So figured I would start a build thread on my bronco now. I’m slowly collecting parts and coming up with questions haha. A little about the bronco.

1984
4.9 inline 6
C6 trans
Manual transfer case
8.8 rear end
Motorcraft 2150 carb swap
Efi manifolds
Duraspark ii conversion
Recurved distributor

It’s pretty well stock as of right now, has later model wheels on it with 33x12.50r15 mud claw tires and sway bars removed. It’s going to haul ass by any means, but I still plan on playing in the desert with it. It’s going to stay my DD, so road manners are semi important, also so prerunning/chasing, trail driving/rocks and open desert. The plan as of now:

Pro comp drop brackets (scored some at pick a part over the weekend)
4” coils (not sure what ones I’m getting yet)
Dual 5100 front shocks
Threat radius arms (most cost effective)
Drop pitman
Ambulance steering
Q80 leafs with 5100’s
Full interior cage

My question is should I post questions here, or in the tech section? ImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: 84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:06 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Here or the tech section. More may see it in the tech section but who knows. Lots of info floating in there already

I will admit I'm not typically a fan of the 80-86 front end, but your truck is lookin good to me for some reason. I dig it.

Re: 84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:26 pm
by S00TLYFE
Bullnose with an 8.8? Damn that’s a new one!

Cool truck I love the bullnose. 4”
Pro comp coils are solid, I’d just throw those in there.

84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:35 pm
by Caleb4130
S00TLYFE wrote:Bullnose with an 8.8? Damn that’s a new one!

Cool truck I love the bullnose. 4”
Pro comp coils are solid, I’d just throw those in there.
I’m pretty sure the 8.8 was swapped in at some point. I’d like to find a 9, but am in no rush to do so.
I was thinking pro comp coils as well. My questions comes down to the 5100’s. Are the ones desolate and solo sell different at all, or can I just pick up the 4” ones from oreillys?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:37 pm
by Caleb4130
Thank you. Truthfully I had wanted a brick nose, but this has grown on me for sure. I’m in the process of designing a bumper for it, hopefully to accentuate it and not take away from it. Basically going for an 80s bronco race/prerun look at stock width


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: 84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:08 pm
by ChaseTruck754
If it's a true '84 then the 8.8 was swapped in. 8.8's started showing up as early as some 86.5's if I remember right. And 9" stuck around until some 87.5's. At least that's what I remember seeing and reading. Been a while since I actually paid attention enough to remember all the quirks in the dates though

Re: 84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:14 am
by AussieRod
S00TLYFE wrote:Bullnose with an 8.8? Damn that’s a new one!

Cool truck I love the bullnose. 4”
Pro comp coils are solid, I’d just throw those in there.
My 84 F truck had a 8.8 in it. :roll: :lol:

Re: 84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:33 am
by ChaseTruck754
Yeah, but you're in Oz - you don't count as "normal" :?

84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:59 pm
by S00TLYFE
Caleb4130 wrote:
S00TLYFE wrote:Bullnose with an 8.8? Damn that’s a new one!

Cool truck I love the bullnose. 4”
Pro comp coils are solid, I’d just throw those in there.
I’m pretty sure the 8.8 was swapped in at some point. I’d like to find a 9, but am in no rush to do so.
I was thinking pro comp coils as well. My questions comes down to the 5100’s. Are the ones desolate and solo sell different at all, or can I just pick up the 4” ones from oreillys?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No 5100s are 5100s just figure out what part number you need. It’s been so long since I had mine I doubt I have the part numbers saved anyways.

By the way, if you go the swap meet this weekend I bet you’d find some coils I think desolate had some in their truck


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:00 pm
by S00TLYFE
AussieRod wrote:
S00TLYFE wrote:Bullnose with an 8.8? Damn that’s a new one!

Cool truck I love the bullnose. 4”
Pro comp coils are solid, I’d just throw those in there.
My 84 F truck had a 8.8 in it. :roll: :lol:
Damn, another one I wasnt aware of


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:53 am
by dan240
ChaseTruck754 wrote:If it's a true '84 then the 8.8 was swapped in. 8.8's started showing up as early as some 86.5's if I remember right. And 9" stuck around until some 87.5's. At least that's what I remember seeing and reading. Been a while since I actually paid attention enough to remember all the quirks in the dates though
We bought our 1983 new it came factory with a Ford 8.8. As far as I know 1983 was the first year for the 8.8 at least in the trucks.

Re: 84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:12 am
by chucks187
Caleb4130 wrote:
S00TLYFE wrote:Bullnose with an 8.8? Damn that’s a new one!

Cool truck I love the bullnose. 4”
Pro comp coils are solid, I’d just throw those in there.
I’m pretty sure the 8.8 was swapped in at some point. I’d like to find a 9, but am in no rush to do so.
I was thinking pro comp coils as well. My questions comes down to the 5100’s. Are the ones desolate and solo sell different at all, or can I just pick up the 4” ones from oreillys?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have a set of 4" Pro Comp Coils and the Bilstein 5100"s you are looking for, hit me up if your interested

Re: 84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:30 pm
by ChaseTruck754
dan240 wrote:
ChaseTruck754 wrote:If it's a true '84 then the 8.8 was swapped in. 8.8's started showing up as early as some 86.5's if I remember right. And 9" stuck around until some 87.5's. At least that's what I remember seeing and reading. Been a while since I actually paid attention enough to remember all the quirks in the dates though
We bought our 1983 new it came factory with a Ford 8.8. As far as I know 1983 was the first year for the 8.8 at least in the trucks.
Interesting. I'd always read the common thought was 9" in up until 85 or so. I had an '86 bronco with a factory 9" in it. People thought that was late. I've had a buddy with a 9" factor in his early '87 though.

Maybe the trucks did get them earlier than the broncos but who knows. Ford has a track record of using whatever is left on the shelf or odd parts at odd times. Saw that a lot in the 70's trucks

Re: 84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:00 am
by AussieRod
S00TLYFE wrote:
AussieRod wrote:
S00TLYFE wrote:Bullnose with an 8.8? Damn that’s a new one!

Cool truck I love the bullnose. 4”
Pro comp coils are solid, I’d just throw those in there.
My 84 F truck had a 8.8 in it. :roll: :lol:
Damn, another one I wasnt aware of
The F100 is a 11/84 build date, (a Kanuck CKD) almost an 85, so it is possible that some time in 84, the six cylinder trucks and Broncos got the 8.8 over a 9".

84 bronco family ride (slow build)

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:06 am
by S00TLYFE
Not sure where you’re located, but there is a 4.9 Saginaw pump at the santa fe springs junkyard, text me if you want me to grab it while I’m there for you message me for my number


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk