Page 1 of 1

SAMSON build!

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:05 pm
by samson
hey everyone, first post other than intro.
So I figured I would start me a build thread.
First off I started with an 83, sporting the original 300 and c6.
I payed 75 for it, it was sitting for about 12 years. Read 78k on the odometer
Thinking it was more like 175k. But I got it running and found a slew of problems.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was 275k on it. But I put an old set of tires on and
putted around in it until there was no more go left in it. So I did "do-nuts" until the engine seized.
And here I am.
Image
Here is one shortly before the motor gave
Image

More to come soon... I'm still learning all this forum business.

Re: SAMSON build!

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:44 am
by samson
my goal is to get it driveable again and then make it bigger and better from there.
parts list.
of course i have no budget, with the family and all so everything is hand me downs and bargain finds...

i had an 88' f250, so it is going to be the doner for alot of the drive train
356w (been sitting a while so im taking it apart tomorrow)
zf5
i am contemplating using the sterling, i also have a 14 bolt and a 9" available
and im swapping the 2wd over as well..

Image

i know many of yall will say its blasphemy but i am using the 2wd beams/springs/arms/steering box from the 250.
already started that...
Image

Image

Image


all together now, (roughed in, no engine and the box is just setting up there)
Image

Re: SAMSON build!

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:55 am
by ChaseTruck754
Not blasphemy to use 2wd stuff, it's just nice to have 4wd when you need it every now & again. It's your truck though so no one will talk down to you about the 2wd here.

Good luck on the build!


Oh and sterling or 14b are a good choice for the rear especially since you've already gone 8 lug up front! Both of those are strong axles. A bit heavy, but still great axles. Dump the drums on either for disks when you get the funds (or sell the 9" to fund it!) and you'll drop some weight quick.

Re: SAMSON build!

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:33 pm
by samson
Thanks 754 I'm going to start search the archives to see who, if anyone here, has ventured in to the two wheel territory.

Re: SAMSON build!

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:39 pm
by ChaseTruck754
A few of um have been done here & there. I think Brian (CS+Drums) may be 2wd. Can't remember for sure.

The build will be very similar to a 4wd you just don't have to worry about axles binding like in the D44 TTB.

Re: SAMSON build!

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:35 pm
by cypher
If I had to do it all over again I would go 2wd. Not everyone needs 4wd and 2wd with a rear locker is very capable.

Re: SAMSON build!

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:41 am
by robertcrav
My last trip out we did a good section of the course out in Barstow and I ran it in 2wd with rear Detroit...Brian (Yikes) ran it in 2wd also

Re: SAMSON build!

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:32 pm
by ChaseTruck754
2wd is a 99% of the time thing.

4wd comes in handy when your buddy's 9 car is stuck in a sand wash on the back side of the Barstow course & you get to go on retrieval duty.

Like I said - it's not always needed, but it is nice to have at times.

Re: SAMSON build!

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:47 pm
by Silverslk
ChaseTruck754 wrote:2wd is a 99% of the time thing.

4wd comes in handy when your buddy's 9 car is stuck in a sand wash on the back side of the Barstow course & you get to go on retrieval duty.

Like I said - it's not always needed, but it is nice to have at times.
And then the first 4wd digs in getting up and out of the wash and you have to strap a 2nd 4wd to that to get them all out!!! Not that this has happened.... just saying. ;)

Re: SAMSON build!

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:20 pm
by RyanDS650X
Unless said 4x4 is locked up fron and rear ;-)

Re: SAMSON build!

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:16 pm
by Wrightracing.net
It is nice to have 4wd but besides Chris Wilson's old Class 4, F150, all the race vehicles I have been in have been 2wd. That being said my F350 4wd is the one pulling the guys out of the silt and when they brake.

Re: SAMSON build!

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:05 pm
by samson
Awesome thanks for the input guys. I'm in central Texas so not much sand near hear. It will be a weekend warrior. Blasting county roads and whatnot. Locker for sure though. Hopefully get some more work done this weekend.