Mark's Arizona Bronco

nosamax4444
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco XLT 5.8

Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by nosamax4444 »

Hey All,

I got my Bronco Aug 2013 with the intention to use it as a hunting/shooting truck and to take my kids offroad. Well similar to many of you guys, my passion for the truck has progressed much further than i would have expected. It started with simple coil spacer, then by dec 2013 quickly progressed to cut and turn beams (the right way :D ) and procomp springs with plated rancho radius arms and custom shock mount for 10" 2.0 fox shocks. For the rear to got a custom 10pack deaver setup from a guy on craigslist that had it on a 91 f150 he raced in short track. Perfect spring rate and stockish ride height. but droops like no other with a fox 2.0x12.

Image

Image

Cut and turn the right way + clock diff = happy ball joints
Image


I wheeled her like this for 6-7 trips in march-may 2014 then under the knife again during the summer.... This time roll cage and coilovers. I spent lots of time on this site checking out everyone's setup and saved photos of the stuff i liked. I ended up taking the truck to a buddy of mine's fab shop to have him fab up the things i wanted done. I am very inexperienced with a welder and he is a master at tig welding and also very well priced so i left my truck with him for the past 4 months. I got the truck back last week and am super excited. like i said i went a little overboard. Ended up with 2.5x12 king tripple bypasses in the rear and 2.5x12 king coilovers in the front

full droop mockup
Image

rear travel
Image

full droop mockup 2
Image

1.25" Heimed radius arm in progress
Image

coilover mounts are beautifully done.... I was most pleased with this
Image

all finished with fox 2.0 bump
Image

Rear setup
Image

some travel pics (not fully drooped out)
Image

Image

I also got suspension seats built into the cage, i'll take pics soon and am working on tying up loose ends (vacuum canister relocate, new over flow reservoir (stock one is ugly), etc. I did take her out this past weekend and she feels great. Just a quick shake down, no jumping yet until i get everything sorted but I am super excited. I bought almost everything on craigslist and did this build relatively cheap (believe it or not).... I am very thankful for this site, as I have learned almost everything about how to modify broncos on here. Feel free to ask any questions. In the mean time, i am hunting for used 35s and a place that will regear my diffs for a good price. Also have to do bumpers and tire carriers.... the list keeps growing. :lol:

Thanks,
Mark
nosamax4444
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco XLT 5.8

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by nosamax4444 »

for some reason this picture didn't post

Image
dtbback
Posts: 1677
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:45 am
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by dtbback »

Couldn't see any of the pics. Sounds like a cool build.
nosamax4444
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco XLT 5.8

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by nosamax4444 »

User avatar
Tanner287
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:36 pm
Bronco Info: 95 351 4.5" beams full cage front to rear 9" q80 deavers
Location: Acton ca

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by Tanner287 »

It sounds pretty sweet I wanna see pictures, using photobucket is really simple to upload pictures on here. Make an account, then upload the pics to photobucket, then press the "copy" and then you copy the img link and post in on here
nosamax4444
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco XLT 5.8

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by nosamax4444 »

2nd try with photobucket :)

I got my Bronco Aug 2013 with the intention to use it as a hunting/shooting truck and to take my kids offroad. Well similar to many of you guys, my passion for the truck has progressed much further than i would have expected. It started with simple coil spacer, then by dec 2013 quickly progressed to cut and turn beams (the right way :D ) and procomp springs with plated rancho radius arms and custom shock mount for 10" 2.0 fox shocks. For the rear to got a custom 10pack deaver setup from a guy on craigslist that had it on a 91 f150 he raced in short track. Perfect spring rate and stockish ride height. but droops like no other with a fox 2.0x12.

Image

Image

Image

Cut and turn the right way + clock diff = happy ball joints
Image


I wheeled her like this for 6-7 trips in march-may 2014 then under the knife again during the summer.... This time roll cage and coilovers. I spent lots of time on this site checking out everyone's setup and saved photos of the stuff i liked. I ended up taking the truck to a buddy of mine's fab shop to have him fab up the things i wanted done. I am very inexperienced with a welder and he is a master at tig welding and also very well priced so i left my truck with him for the past 4 months. I got the truck back last week and am super excited. like i said i went a little overboard. Ended up with 2.5x12 king tripple bypasses in the rear and 2.5x12 king coilovers in the front

full droop mockup
Image

rear travel
Image

full droop mockup 2
Image

1.25" Heimed radius arm in progress
Image

coilover mounts are beautifully done.... I was most pleased with this
Image

all finished with fox 2.0 bump
Image

Rear setup
Image

some travel pics (not fully drooped out)
Image

Image

I also got suspension seats built into the cage, i'll take pics soon and am working on tying up loose ends (vacuum canister relocate, new over flow reservoir (stock one is ugly), etc. I did take her out this past weekend and she feels great. Just a quick shake down, no jumping yet until i get everything sorted but I am super excited. I bought almost everything on craigslist and did this build relatively cheap (believe it or not).... I am very thankful for this site, as I have learned almost everything about how to modify broncos on here. Feel free to ask any questions. In the mean time, i am hunting for used 35s and a place that will regear my diffs for a good price. Also have to do bumpers and tire carriers.... the list keeps growing. :lol:

Thanks,
Mark
User avatar
RyanDS650X
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 am
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact:

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by RyanDS650X »

Sounds nice! Im in mesa.
nosamax4444
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco XLT 5.8

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by nosamax4444 »

awesome. Are there ever any AZ meetups? If not, we should.
User avatar
RyanDS650X
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 am
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact:

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by RyanDS650X »

Im going to the sand drags tonight in AJ at ET Motopark if you want to come.
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by VintageIronFab »

About your "pie-cut" cut & turn-- now I have only done the C&T process once and it was the pull the bottom out. With that said I wouldn't do it again. I have seen a couple of really good fab guys do it that way and to me there is just way too many possibilities for error where with the Pie-cut method there almost can't be an issue with getting anything crooked or not in place properly. I guess you need some very mild clocking-- one idea I had was to take a solid axle Dana 44 diff cover place it where the third member would bolt up, tack weld it in place 3 or 4 spots, take a brand new cobalt bit and redrill the holes. Seems to me to be a almost no-brainer and virtually zero fail.

Nice work so far-- I wish I was in AZ now to see your truck!
nosamax4444
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco XLT 5.8

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by nosamax4444 »

vintageironfab - Im actually a big fan of your build and got lots of inspiration when doing mine. Did you move out of az?

Ryan - im in the northwest valley, aj is like 1hr+ from me. Maybe another time with better planning.
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by VintageIronFab »

Thanks Mark--I was inspired by the Yikes build :-). The only thing I did that others may not is just put a crazy high effort into cleaning every inch of the chassis and drivetrain to the point of insanity :-). Well I moved sorta to North Dakota to get a piece of the oil boom going on out here (which has financially be very good) but all my stuff is still in AZ awaiting my full time return in 2 years, 159 days and 11 hours .. Lol :-)
dtbback
Posts: 1677
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:45 am
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by dtbback »

If cutting and turning the entire knuckle mount to keep the ball joints in alignment is best, why don't people incorporate the difference into the portion they use to extend their beams? Seems like cutting some C shaped steel a and angle shouldn't add too much difficulty to the process.
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by VintageIronFab »

I think there are a couple guys who build a decent amount of beams do have a pair of proper sized channel bent professionally then cut to length with a horizontal bandsaw
dtbback
Posts: 1677
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:45 am
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: Mark's Arizona Bronco

Post by dtbback »

If you're out there guys, let me know.
Post Reply