08-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Gotta figure out where to put the resi.
08-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I think I'll need to change the resi line to have a 90 coming out of the shock top. Right now it won't clear pointing forward unless I trim the bucket and I'm not sure it will clear the A/C box on the pass side this way. I should have gotten piggy backs, as it would have saved me a bit of time.
09-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Did a bunch of work this weekend. Passenger side coil bucket and shock is in.
I modified the coil bucket so I could point the resi hose forward. Piggybacks would have been easier. I'll have to put a piece of hose on it so it doesn't rub through. It's fairly close to the A/C dryer but it should be ok even with body movement taken into consideration.
Stock brake lines seem to more than long enough which is good because the ones I ordered from JBG have the wrong ends on them. I bent the stock j-hook spring retainer and used it. Not the best way of holding the spring in but it will work.
The coil seems to be the limiting factor for droop. I still need to put limit straps on and paint everything black.
09-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Oh, I forgot. I fixed a horrible exhaust leak from the passenger manifold while I had the bucket off. Lots of room! I also had to relocate the vacuum resi.
09-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Well, the front shock upgrade made a huge difference! Night and day! I only have one issue, looks like I put the passenger spring in a little bit wrong and I need to turn it 180 degrees. Right now it's rubbing against the bolts that hold the bucket on. I'm going to fix it tonight when I put the rear bypasses on and do an oil change. This thing should really scoot once I have valving dialed in!
09-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I went to Long Beach this weekend for a motorcycle swap meet/show and while I was there I stopped by Yucaipa and met Yikes! (Brian) to buy a set of poly body mounts, three Toyo tires, and his front bumper. He also gave me a front third member so I can set one up on the bench without disassembling my truck! I also stopped by Giant Motorsports and picked up a truss for my 9". Rumor has it Geoff has found a way to build a custom shock that will fit under the back of a Bronco that has 14" of shaft travel. Can you say two more inches of droop! To bad mine is already setup or I would go with that shock and a pair of his 64" springs. Now, here is the eye candy:
Dana 44 HP third member, Thanks Yikes!
Yikes! built front bumper.
Giant Motorsports 9" truss.
10-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Update... I drove the Bronco to Phoenix last weekend and had a noise develop from the front right of the truck. I first thought it was a wheel bearing but when I checked it at GunIt's house I found I had a damaged brake pad. No wanting to mess with it down there I drove it home.

Passenger side brake pads, the chewed up one is from the inside.

Caliper after it spit the friction backing plate out. Piston was cocked and jammed fully extended.

Rotor, missing chunks are from me removing the caliper.
10-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Update: More carnage! I drove the Bronco to the Pomona Offroad Expo this weekend. I had plans to do other things but my truck developed a nasty coolant leak from the front of the motor. Not sure quite where... possibly the water pump or thermostat housing. The rear end also started making a serious howling noise, so I think the 8.8 has given up the ghost. It did get home ok without any real problems. I've got to get my 9" rear done now!
I sold my Camburg beams at the offroad expo and I had expected to pick up the beams Brian just got from him but I didn't dare drive the Bronco more than needed.
Before I left I also finally installed the rear bypasses on Friday night. I also removed the door panels and installed insulation/sound deadening to quiet the doors down. Most of the door panel tabs/fasteners are broken, and the new ones from the autopart store are very brittle and many broke during install. Does anyone know where to get high quality panel fasteners?
Last weekend while in Phoenix I swapped out the rear window glass and tailgate panel with Bronco #2 that I had given my cousin. He never did anything with it and it just sits next to his house. I post some pics later.
10-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Did my little bit for today. Welded up some of the truss for the rear.
10-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Well, I welded up the truss on the 9" housing. Came out really nice, no warping on one side and only 3/8 on the other. I cured that with the torch. I'm going to send it to get sandblasted since it's so nasty looking. I wish I could have done it first but my closest blaster is an hour away and I was impatient. I have all new brake hardware, drums, bearings, and seals for it. I also bought a third member on eBay from West Coast Broncos, 4.56 gears and Detroit Locker for $510. I'll post pics when it's all painted and assembled.
I also sold my Camburg beams off and bought the set Brian (Yikes!) had. These are Mark Newhan style where the whole end is rotated so the balljoints stay inline. They also are boxed and have uniball pivots. I also had Brian put a Sick Gnar truss on the front to drop some panties. I'm going to cut the other shock mount off tomorrow and paint them. I've got to buy some uniballs, new Napa balljoints, and gears for the front still.
10-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I wish my 9" was done...
My 8.8 has been getting quite loud for about 2 weeks now. I was expecting to see a loose pinion or a trashed ring gear. The thing hums on load from accel or deaccel. Sound is definitely from the rear and goes away with the clutch in (rules out wheel bearing). So I pop the cover off tonight to see if I can fix it since I really want to drive it around in Glamis this weekend. What do I find??? A super clean ring/pinion pattern and a nice tight pinion bearing. However the spider gears are warn like crazy. There is 3/16 gap between the case and side of the gear that sits on the cross shaft. I'm not sure how spider gears can cause noise when driving in a straight line. I also had thought spider gears were only weak in Tracloc carriers? Could this be caused by my big heavy 35" tires and general lack of driving ability?
10-30-2009, 05:25 PM
I decided against going to Glamis this weekend and I have to many other things going on and all my toys are down.
Looks like my steering is getting loose... anyone have the info and part numbers for the ambulance tie rod upgrade? Is it stronger than if I just bought F250 stuff? Do I need to ream the spindles and pitman arm out?
11-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Since I'm lazy and have not done anything to the Bronco lately here is a pic with 17s on it. Toyo short course tires and 17" Ultras.
I can't stand being on the second page.
11-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I started assembling the rear axle. Had two setbacks though... one, I am missing the little springs that go on the parking brake spreader bar and two, I can't get the old bearings off the axle to replace them. I'll have to get another bearing remover as I killed my old one on the first axle.
11-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Did a bit of work to the new rear end today.
Finally got my beefy Currie axle retainers:
Installed a filler/inspection cap:
Finally did the VSS install, here is the Detroit with a notch for the reluctor ring:
Here is the ring test fitted:
Tabs I modified to hold the ring on:
Carrier install in the case, I had to clearance it a little for the ring:
More to come!!!
11-21-2009, 08:16 PM
It's done! Hopefully I can install it tomorrow. I'm hoping the VSS works like it's supposed to. I tested it on the bench with my meter...
11-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Rear end is in, the speedo works great. No bouncing and I will verify it's accurate with my GPS asap. 4.56 gears sure feel nice!
11-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Speedo is correct, although it jumps a little around 50 mph. The truck really needs a two link now, and I didn't even get on it much since these gears are not broken in yet. I also need to get to the shackle install as I still have another 1" of shaft at full droop right now. I also will be installing an 8.8 style flange in place of the standard yoke thats on there right now. I like the bolt on driveshaft for some reason.
11-23-2009, 07:55 PM
A couple of pics of the rear end installed. I also finally put the last bolt in on Yikes! bumper.
11-23-2009, 08:30 PM
I think I'm going to add a skid to the diff, built off the pinion guard from Ruffstuff. I'll just add to it like the way Autofab builds them...
I need to add driveshaft loops too... last time I lost a shaft sucked big time.
11-25-2009, 08:46 PM
I just bought a carrier for 4.56 gears in the front from Hefty. I just need to get gears now. I am working retrieval at the Snore race here so it would probably be good if I get 4wd working....