Page 1 of 4
Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:31 am
by BajaBronco13
Hello everyone,
Here is a few pics of my 1989 Ford Bronco Magnum four door. My plans are to build a mild four seater prerunner. I would like to run extended beams. I will retain the rear leaf springs to keep this a budget build. Lets see how this rig progresses:

Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:57 pm
by BajaBronco13
I have ordered my Beard seats for the four door but still haven't received them from Dezert Nation. I've heard that is common when ordering Beard seats so in the mean time I had the powder coater take care of my wheels and figured I'd mount one of the 315/75/16 BFG All Terrain tire that I had. Can't wait to get all four tires mounted and the seats put in:

Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:19 pm
by BRONCONUT
I love the 4-door broncos, that would be bad ass with sloped roll bars and a bikini top.
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:26 pm
by rezrider
BajaBronco13 wrote:Hello everyone,
Here is a few pics of my 1989 Ford Bronco Magnum four door. My plans are to build a mild four seater prerunner. I would like to run extended beams. I will retain the rear leaf springs to keep this a budget build. Lets see how this rig progresses:
Is the Magnum pre-Centurian time? I remember see a few stretched Bronco's with the Centurian badge on the side...I'm anxious to see it when you're done. I too am wanting to build mine into a mild Pre-runner / Rock Racer...I don't plan to haul azz or crawl VW sized rocks but would like to be able to have some fun in comfort and know it'll make the trip...
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:10 pm
by ChaseTruck754
From what I remember Magnums were around in the beginning but didn't last as long or do as many conversions as Centurion. I don't think Magnum was "pre" Centurion time though.
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:51 am
by BajaBronco13
From the information I've gathered from the members at FourDoorBronco.com Magnum and Centurion were only a few miles away from each other in the midwest. Centurion did have the longest run (over 15 years) with Magnum lasted less then 7 years. There is no solid numbers on how many four doors were built but people have guessed that Centurion produced about 5000 units with Magnum only producing 1500. I've been told that my Magnum has a rare combination of an F350 460 with a two wheel drive front end. Not that it's rare for an F350 but that it is rare for Magnum to have built off that platform.

Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:57 am
by BajaBronco13
Here is a picture of the floor section showing the merge between the original Ford F350 front crew cab section and the rear grafted Bronco section:

Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:45 am
by 7D6F250
dig the 8 lug. I've only seen 1/2 ton versions.
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:02 pm
by philofab
We both need to get going on our four doors! I want to race!
I'm thinking about repowering mine with a Cummins though.
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:27 pm
by ChaseTruck754
philofab wrote:We both need to get going on our four doors! I want to race!
I'm thinking about repowering mine with a Cummins though.
I told Chris he should do that with his! I've got a 2nd cummins sitting here that my buddy is trying to convince me to throw in my 38 Ford pickup.
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:57 pm
by BajaBronco13
Diesel would be nice. I know previous owner Baja Chris wanted to drop a diesel in this four door but at this point I'm hoping I can just get this thing to make a long distance run to Baja for now before I start on the cage and then move forward from there.
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:10 pm
by BajaBronco13
philofab wrote:We both need to get going on our four doors! I want to race!
I'm thinking about repowering mine with a Cummins though.
Philo,
It's funny you mention that as Tony and I had talked about how cool it would be to have the cage built to Score regulations and run it in a sportsman class or something like that in an MDR race.
It will be a four seater with four Beard Ultra Pros. I went over to Dezert Nation to pick up two of my Beard seats but they did black piping instead of the double stitching I wanted so they sent them back. Can't wait to mount those up on the four door.
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:40 pm
by philofab
Plans are for mine to have legal caging.... Will take whoop sections with ease as long as your not needing to turn.
I really need a 8" wider rear axle though!
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 pm
by BajaBronco13
philofab wrote:Plans are for mine to have legal caging.... Will take whoop sections with ease as long as your not needing to turn.
I really need a 8" wider rear axle though!
Same game plan here, 4" over per side on the i beams and 4" over per side on a Camburg or Currie rear end. I'll be keeping the rear leaf sprung though.
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:18 pm
by philofab
BajaBronco13 wrote:philofab wrote:Plans are for mine to have legal caging.... Will take whoop sections with ease as long as your not needing to turn.
I really need a 8" wider rear axle though!
Same game plan here, 4" over per side on the i beams and 4" over per side on a Camburg or Currie rear end. I'll be keeping the rear leaf sprung though.
Mine has a set of Nationals with spring under, and I plan on keeping that way. The truck worked really well with just Ranchos on it so I hoping to improve it with 2.5 coilovers in the front and 2.5 resis in the back with a way lower ride height. The front will be equal length with D60 snouts.
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:37 pm
by BajaBronco13
Philo,
What are you running in the front?
Chris
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:19 pm
by philofab
BajaBronco13 wrote:Philo,
What are you running in the front?
Chris
Giant engine cage, SAW 16" 500/600 rate, Glassworks fenders, H2 wheels, 37" Toyos, Giant equal length pivots, and my own radius arms/beams with a Dana 50 end/spindle/knuckle. 4" over per side and 1" forward.
I'm not sure what I will do for steering yet...
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:41 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Chris - good choice on the double stitch vs. piping. Double stitch will last a lot longer.
Philo - you mention the d60 snouts. This is something I have been meaning to look into but a buddy has been LAGGING on getting me a snout so I can take some dimensions.
Do you know if the d60's have the same dimensions as a "GN" snout for a floater rear hub? I have heard the d60 snouts were 2.5" but I'm not sure on dimensions other than that.
What hubs are you running with them? D60 hubs drilled out to 5x5.5 or is yours 8 lug as well????
*edit* - just noticed the H2 wheels comment so forget this portion of the question.
Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:11 pm
by BajaBronco13
DezertNation really came through with my Beard Ultra Pro seats, DN ordered them 2" wider per side and 2" taller and they are way comfortable. I have two seats now and will order two more next week and my eight seater Four Door Bronco will now be a four seater ride:

Re: Christopher's 1989 Four Door Bronco
Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:22 pm
by BajaBronco13