Page 1 of 7
Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:27 am
by AussieRod
Well, guys, as some of you already know, I finally bought a Bronco in CA. I found this on CL in Oceano, and with SteveG's generous help, have purchased, smogged, insured and tagged it. Its missing the rear seat, has some leaks in the cooling system and trans, and is dirty from sitting for a while. The driver seat is ripped but the dash looks ok and the engine is strong. In fact, the smog tech was impressed it passed with flying colours. The rear window doesn't open and some other minor issues, but its not a bad buy. Now I am thinking about some sensible mods to make it more user friendly and able to handle the rough stuff with reliability. Any suggestions?
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:31 am
by Nick
Fuzzy dice and dingle balls.
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:34 am
by AussieRod
Nick wrote:Fuzzy dice and dingle balls.
Like f*#k! This ain't no poofdah-mobile

Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:47 am
by Nick
The eye-talians would dig it!
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:48 am
by AussieRod
HAHAHAHAHA
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:53 am
by tcm glx
gold spinners are the only way to go!
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:57 am
by AussieRod
tcm glx wrote:gold spinners are the only way to go!
inside 24"ers

Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:42 am
by BajaF250
Hey Rod,
Great deal... so, the real question is, what will you do with it? Will you ship it back to Aus eventually?
The very first thing I'd do is go over it with a fine tooth comb... make sure the drive train is solid, check the diff, axle bearings, seals; go over the transfer case; go over the tranny, replace all drive train fluids. Then give the engine a solid tune up, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, replace all filters, oil and air, etc.
Check all the hoses, replace all of the coolant hoses, drain, flush and fill the radiator, replace the thermostat etc. Then, run and check all the vacuum lines to ensure you won't have a vacuum problem. Make sure the engine runs smoothly.
I'm a big Autofab fan so I'd go with a travel kit and bypass the drop down bracket avenue (not a big fan of drop down brackets for various reasons) and then a two link kit for the rear. Good place to start...
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:28 am
by damon1272
I could be wrong on this but I think Aus. vehicle code requires suspension changes to be engineered or that is what I have read. Not bad mouthing John's product (as I own plenty of Autofab parts) but i don't think he has an engineers stamp on it?
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:07 am
by philofab
damon1272 wrote:I could be wrong on this but I think Aus. vehicle code requires suspension changes to be engineered or that is what I have read. Not bad mouthing John's product (as I own plenty of Autofab parts) but i don't think he has an engineers stamp on it?
Well done cut and turn beams with Superduty radius arms. I doubt an inspector would spot anything questionable.
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:40 pm
by AussieRod
BajaF250 wrote:Hey Rod,
Great deal... so, the real question is, what will you do with it? Will you ship it back to Aus eventually?
The very first thing I'd do is go over it with a fine tooth comb... make sure the drive train is solid, check the diff, axle bearings, seals; go over the transfer case; go over the tranny, replace all drive train fluids. Then give the engine a solid tune up, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, replace all filters, oil and air, etc.
Check all the hoses, replace all of the coolant hoses, drain, flush and fill the radiator, replace the thermostat etc. Then, run and check all the vacuum lines to ensure you won't have a vacuum problem. Make sure the engine runs smoothly.
I'm a big Autofab fan so I'd go with a travel kit and bypass the drop down bracket avenue (not a big fan of drop down brackets for various reasons) and then a two link kit for the rear. Good place to start...
Gentleman SteveG has it in his care right now, giving it a good once over. He is replacing the radiator and lower hose, coolant, etc and giving the trans a service (at his leasure). He will update me on whatever it needs and I will get er done from there. Apparently, it runs great so a tune might be on the cards to keep it running good.
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:03 pm
by 300
Originally you were looking for a an 80-81. Since this is a 94, will you have to change it to right hand drive, or are you even shipping it over there?
OK, I just read the title again, sounds like you are going to use it here?
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:00 pm
by shockseals.com
Ive got a rear seat out of my 96. It doesnt have the quick release bracket on it but otherwise complete. Its yours if yo uwant it...you must pick up. Its mint. I am tossing it otherwise.
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:04 pm
by Silverslk
A 1994 with Mass Air Flow, cool!! Should run real good (my 95 does). I bet you can't wait to get over here and drive it. What are the plans for suspension, tires/wheels, etc?
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:36 am
by AussieRod
300 wrote:Originally you were looking for a an 80-81. Since this is a 94, will you have to change it to right hand drive, or are you even shipping it over there?
OK, I just read the title again, sounds like you are going to use it here?
Actually, I probably paid less for this 94 than I would have for a good running 80 - 81. Beside, I would still have to convert it to RHD, even thou its 30+ years old. Because it is newer than 1988, I have to jump thru a lot of hoops and pay tons more cash to get it here. I will use it in the US of A, and eventually ship it home for a race rig only. I am considering mods that will make it a good race rig, rather than a DD, so I don't have to spend money twice or redo work already done.
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:51 am
by AussieRod
damon1272 wrote:I could be wrong on this but I think Aus. vehicle code requires suspension changes to be engineered or that is what I have read. Not bad mouthing John's product (as I own plenty of Autofab parts) but i don't think he has an engineers stamp on it?
You're right there, our rules here are ridiculous to say the least. Coil overs are out, due to the spherical bearings in the ends, as are heim jointed or welded radius arms with spherical bearings, any welded suspension or steering component will need to be 100% X-rayed and engineer approved and only rubber or urethane bushing are allowed. I plan eventually to bring it back only for racing.

Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:56 am
by AussieRod
Silverslk wrote:A 1994 with Mass Air Flow, cool!! Should run real good (my 95 does). I bet you can't wait to get over here and drive it. What are the plans for suspension, tires/wheels, etc?
I was pleasently surprised to find it was mass air, which opens some doors for performance improvement. I abso-f-ing-lutely cannot wait to get over there and drive it around in company with you guys

I have some plans, still working them out now.
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:15 am
by ChaseTruck754
Nick wrote:Fuzzy dice and dingle balls.
You forgot - he's Austrailian - that should read "dingo" balls...
Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:26 pm
by AussieRod
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Nick wrote:Fuzzy dice and dingle balls.
You forgot - he's Austrailian - that should read "dingo" balls...
Kangaroo balls, Mate, kangaroo balls

Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:14 pm
by Nick
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Nick wrote:Fuzzy dice and dingle balls.
You forgot - he's Austrailian - that should read "dingo" balls...
