Page 1 of 3
Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:14 pm
by fixxor
So here is my build. I have a 86 Bronco EB that I bought and already had a 4 inch lift, 35 tires, and geared to 4.56's. Plan is just for a mild build and here is what I want to do:
Front end:
Solomotorsports cut & turned beams + radius arms -
done
5100 Bilstiens (one each side) -
done
New balljoints -
done
New braided hose lines -
done
New rotors/pads maybe calipers -
done
Make bumper -
done
Rear end:
New leafs J40's -
done
New shocks 2.5 SAW + Fox resi's -
done
Shock mount relocation -
done
2 Link (In future)
Rear bumper w/ tire carrier (Will start soon)
Maybe get glass in the future if I upgrade more or need the clearance. Alright here is the pictures:
When I got it:
The goods:
Sandblasted:
Started plating beams a bit:
Installed:
So now I have some questions. I was gonna use the swaybar bracket under the coil to attach a limit strap to, have an adjustable clevis going through the front shock hole on the bucket would that be ok? I was just gonna get one shock for each side and put it in the rear what valving should I get for the Bilstien 5100(or +) shock? Thanks.
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:02 am
by BajaBronco13
Nice Bronco Carl. Totally dig your 86 EB.
Chris
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:04 am
by tcm glx
Looks like a really good start Carl!! Welcome!
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:25 am
by Polarcub
Looks like a great plan...you will enjoy the set up. Welcome
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:34 pm
by shockseals.com
My beams have started to crack right where your gusset ends on both beams. Caught it about an hour ago while going over everything one last time before heading to baja.
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:26 pm
by SteveG
shockseals.com wrote:My beams have started to crack right where your gusset ends on both beams. Caught it about an hour ago while going over everything one last time before heading to baja.
Nice catch. They're cracking on the pivot end gusset?
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:31 pm
by shockseals.com
SteveG wrote:shockseals.com wrote:My beams have started to crack right where your gusset ends on both beams. Caught it about an hour ago while going over everything one last time before heading to baja.
Nice catch. They're cracking on the pivot end gusset?
Correct. Drilled the crack and welded up today. One of our fab guys who preruns in a leduc built bronco and says its common on that as well. I will need to start working on building a plated set everywhere these ones crack.
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:29 am
by fixxor
Thank you. Man that sucks on the plating, I will keep an eye on it and probably extend them more.
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:36 am
by fixxor
Got a little bit done on it. Finished the bumper just need to get a skidplate. What does everyone use? 3/16 thick aluminum? What type?
I decided to go with the quad bilstien setup and need to make sure to use 255/70 valving in the rear and 175/? in the front? Is the front the auxiliary? Where can I get the piece to convert the shock to use the stud instead of the eyelet? And I was looking at other peoples setup and I see most people using the 5.5 deaver coils for the front, should there be any reason to choose those over personal preference, better ride, ride height? Thanks.
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:37 am
by tcm glx
Looking good. Which bilsteins are you planning on running?
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:42 am
by fixxor
The 5100's. Any advice on those?
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:28 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
I've got a set of the deaver 5.5's for sale that're a year old. They work really good pm me if your interested.
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:42 pm
by tcm glx
There are specific 5100s that work with a 4"lift, those have the correct stems so you can just drop them right in. Work really really well for what you spend.
Many of us here started with tose, myself included, and I was blown away.
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:23 pm
by fixxor
Thanks hobbyturnedobsession but I think i'll just stick with the 4" coil for now. tcm you happen to have part numbers for those specific shocks? I would not need to measure travel and compressed lengths then would I? Thanks for the help.
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:39 pm
by tcm glx
I have to look em up, ill dig them up for ya.
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:04 pm
by fixxor
Thanks appreciate it.
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:57 pm
by tcm glx
fixxor wrote:Thanks appreciate it.
Found it here:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/sho ... 840&page=2
Post #34 (minihorns works for Bilstein)
Front Main: BE5-6243-H5 (Extended: 19" / Collapsed 12.17") Valving: 389/94
Front Auxillery: BE5-6238-H6 (Extended 21.5 / Collapsed 13.27) Valving (84/30)
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:01 pm
by ChaseTruck754
fixxor wrote:Got a little bit done on it. Finished the bumper just need to get a skidplate. What does everyone use? 3/16 thick aluminum? What type?
If it is just flat (meaning you don't have to bend it) go 1/4" 6061.
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:19 am
by fixxor
Thanks tcm. Yeah I made it so the skidplate will be flat since I had no way of bending it. Thanks.
Re: Carl's 86 EB Build
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:42 pm
by fixxor
Alright well I wanna get this thing together for the MORE race next weekend. So I got passenger side done and half way done with the drivers side. I put on the front aux shock first and then the main one after that the H5, seemed a little too short. Jacked it up to bolt it on and need to get limit straps, but I could have more droop if it was not for the shock.
