95 Bronco Build!

User avatar
Wrightracing.net
Posts: 2235
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Has anyone used a F150 frame under a Bronco and stretched the body to it? That seems an easy way without cutting and sectioning in part of the frame like on Paul's white Bronco?
User avatar
ESHALLBETTER
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Rmc wrote:Travis do you know how to lay glass? I've seen 3 versions of stretches done in the shell vs all the metal work. I saw one they stretched at the rear shell seam just behind the side window ( looked the easiest cause ford already has a seam there) one they stretched the glass windows and one in front of the side window, & glens handy work where they took the metal route. Bedsides look good just figured I'd plant a seed of thought in your build. Eyeball the seam I'm speaking of, a skill saw and 4 hrs you'd have a shell to match if you can find a cheap donor shell. Looking good man.
The fiberglass work shouldn't be a problem. I think he knows a guy. :D
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

1st - sorry for the off topic travis - let us know if we should take this elsewhere.
Wrightracing.net wrote:Has anyone used a F150 frame under a Bronco and stretched the body to it? That seems an easy way without cutting and sectioning in part of the frame like on Paul's white Bronco?
While I haven't looked extensively at this, I have looked briefly... F-150 frames have a kick up in the back whereas the bronco frames go flat in between the front & rear seats if I remember right. So to use the F-150 frame you'd either have to chop the top of it to get the body down, or put a bit of a body lift on from what I could tell.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by Travisfab »

A frame swap would be WAY too much work. My inspiration for the stretch is Bill Varne's truck. I just dont like the little window in his, im going to have flat "panel" there instead. Ive always liked the look of the B pillar stretch, but the sheet metal work always kept me from going down that road. Im hoping with how I'm doing it, it will still have that feel though. I've never been a fan of the window stretch, or the C pillar stretch, just looks wrong for some reason.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Travisfab wrote:I've never been a fan of the window stretch, or the C pillar stretch, just looks wrong for some reason.
agreed!


for the b pillar stretch - cut the back of the roof/cab/shell attachment point out of a donor truck. Keep your shell attachment point on your truck & add the new one. Bolt the shell to the new piece & set on the truck. Set cage tubes up at this point to tie the new donor piece to. You then just fill in with sheet metal between the 2. The structure of the stock sheet metal where the shell bolts on is thick/strong and gives a good attachment point for new sheet metal & helps keep it flat when welding up.
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by tcm glx »

Some inspiration.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (163.18 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by Rmc »

ESHALLBETTER wrote:
Rmc wrote:Travis do you know how to lay glass? I've seen 3 versions of stretches done in the shell vs all the metal work. I saw one they stretched at the rear shell seam just behind the side window ( looked the easiest cause ford already has a seam there) one they stretched the glass windows and one in front of the side window, & glens handy work where they took the metal route. Bedsides look good just figured I'd plant a seed of thought in your build. Eyeball the seam I'm speaking of, a skill saw and 4 hrs you'd have a shell to match if you can find a cheap donor shell. Looking good man.
The fiberglass work shouldn't be a problem. I think he knows a guy. :D
I only asked so he could save a buck and I'm not sure what terms he left Fiberwerx under.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by Travisfab »

tcm glx wrote:Some inspiration.
That is exactly my motivation, my besides already fit better though!
User avatar
BDKW1
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
Location: Not Socal

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by BDKW1 »

Interesting, I like the extracab window look, had not seen that before.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by Travisfab »

Rmc wrote:I only asked so he could save a buck and I'm not sure what terms he left Fiberwerx under.
I left on good terms, but I am so picky when it comes to fiberglass that I am just going to do it myself.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by Rmc »

Travisfab wrote:
Rmc wrote:I only asked so he could save a buck and I'm not sure what terms he left Fiberwerx under.
I left on good terms, but I am so picky when it comes to fiberglass that I am just going to do it myself.
Gotcha
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Obviously that's the front of the shell stretched with another front of the shell added on. Not sure I'm in love with the looks.

I'd like to see what a different type/shape of window in that area would do.

I love the looks of the Herman and Goodwin broncos with the body stretch there, I just wonder if one could add a small window & make it look good.
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by tcm glx »

Travisfab wrote:
tcm glx wrote:Some inspiration.
That is exactly my motivation, my besides already fit better though!

Have you seen this truck in person? The picture is decieving in that the front of the fibeglass looks like it doesnt fit flush.... it actually is slotted behind a piece of sheetmetal, and slides into that. Was done that way for a few different reasons, primarily preference and protetction from ripping the glass off at race speed. Fit around the top and rear is really tight though......
User avatar
Cactus Cooler
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:04 pm
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by Cactus Cooler »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Obviously that's the front of the shell stretched with another front of the shell added on. Not sure I'm in love with the looks.

I'd like to see what a different type/shape of window in that area would do.

I love the looks of the Herman and Goodwin broncos with the body stretch there, I just wonder if one could add a small window & make it look good.

It does look good in person. I all ways thought if they ever put windows in it, that the small window would look good as a wing vent.
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by VintageIronFab »

There seem like some good arguments for the body or the hardtop stretch. I am guessing the hardtop stretch being glass is easier to work with then the steel if you are wanting less body work. A stock top and a body stretch is also a good idea should the top or glass get broken you can get no custom parts. Stretching the body seems like it might give you a bit of a bad blindspot due to metal not glass being there. However you do it -- its a hellovalot of work :-) There was another post about using the F150 chassis and then stretching the body. That to me is also a great idea if the body mounts can be lined up right.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by Travisfab »

Image
big-d
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:29 pm
Bronco Info: 1987 F150, 351W/418 Stroker, E4OD, F250 1356 W/fixed yokes, Sterling 10.25, D50 TTB 4" over

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by big-d »

Decided to do the body drop and make a low rider out of it?!? lol
User avatar
ESHALLBETTER
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

That appeared to be a tailgate, but then I was certain it was not, as there was no rust on it?
User avatar
RyanDS650X
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 am
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact:

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by RyanDS650X »

What is rust??
cs_drums
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: 95 Bronco Build!

Post by cs_drums »

Talk about a tease....
Post Reply