Carly's 96

User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Image
1.75 .120 sleeved with 1.5 .120 wall should hold. There will be tabs with 3 7/16 bolts that will hold the tube to the plates. Waiting on more tabs and avoiding leaf disassembly like the plague.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
zachwabbit
Posts: 800
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:48 pm
Bronco Info: '93 F150 4x4, ‘23 Bronco 2dr
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by zachwabbit »

If the VW electric calipers are anything like the ford ones, you really only need power and ground to actuate the parking brake so it’s not a bad idea, I feel like this could effectively solve a lot of people’s parking brake issues when they swap axles.
And it’s not the “correct” way to do it but I’ve reset newer Transit 350 e-parking brakes with my power probe when I didn’t have a Ford IDS handy lol so I wonder if the vw one would be more finicky or not


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Potato.
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

zachwabbit wrote:If the VW electric calipers are anything like the ford ones, you really only need power and ground to actuate the parking brake so it’s not a bad idea, I feel like this could effectively solve a lot of people’s parking brake issues when they swap axles.
And it’s not the “correct” way to do it but I’ve reset newer Transit 350 e-parking brakes with my power probe when I didn’t have a Ford IDS handy lol so I wonder if the vw one would be more finicky or not


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol from what I’m gathering, its simple. I have some ideas. If it works itll be worth putting kits together. I would imagine it would be more than strong enough to hold. Monster trucks only use 2 brake rotors to control the truck before the gear ratio.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
Becks_Bronco
Posts: 1275
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:12 pm
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8
Location: Antioch

Re: Carly's 96

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Let me know what you end up finding out. I'm running GM style rear calipers with no e-brake, and though I haven't had any issues, I don't love not having that extra margin of safety.
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Becks_Bronco wrote:Let me know what you end up finding out. I'm running GM style rear calipers with no e-brake, and though I haven't had any issues, I don't love not having that extra margin of safety.
Definitely. Like usual itll take a bit and be sporadic because of my stuff.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Tree trunk
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 01, 2025 1:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1987 bronco “garage art”

Re: Carly's 96

Post by Tree trunk »

Cool build I wish I had joined up with go fast broncos a while ago. Lots of good information on here.

Anyways- I’ll be tracking along with the progress


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Tree trunk wrote:Cool buildImage I wish I had joined up with go fast broncos a while ago. Lots of good information on here.

Anyways- I’ll be tracking along with the progress


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! Just garage stuff. Nothing fancy. It is a wealth of knowledge here. Thank you! Hoping to speed up the progress soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Image
Image
Image
Image
Spent a bit of time working on Carly’s bronco this weekend. Finished the shock mount minus the actual shock tabs. Its tight but it fits and bolts up. Also deleafed the rear and started cycling suspension. Need to clearance the mount underneath. Trying not to completely cut it out and cover it back up.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Tree trunk
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 01, 2025 1:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1987 bronco “garage art”

Re: Carly's 96

Post by Tree trunk »

Image

What are you planning for shocks?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Tree trunk wrote:Image

What are you planning for shocks?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive got some 12” 2.5 bypasses squirreled away thatll work out. The fronts are only a 2.5. One of these days ill be able to go 3” but just not in the cards right now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Tree trunk
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 01, 2025 1:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1987 bronco “garage art”

Re: Carly's 96

Post by Tree trunk »

Any idea on the valving? I’ve been poking around the archives to see what other guys are are running for shocks the under the bed.

While you have the springs apart and cycling the rear end…. Might not be a bad time to set up some hydro bumps…..

Image

Just so you don’t have to do it again some day Image

That’s where I’m at right now, I’ve got bump stops sitting on the shelf, but I’m not ready to pull the springs apart again 🫣


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Tree trunk wrote:Any idea on the valving? I’ve been poking around the archives to see what other guys are are running for shocks the under the bed.

While you have the springs apart and cycling the rear end…. Might not be a bad time to set up some hydro bumps…..

Image

Just so you don’t have to do it again some day Image

That’s where I’m at right now, I’ve got bump stops sitting on the shelf, but I’m not ready to pull the springs apart again 🫣


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish I did. Unfortunately I’m going to be in the dark on what is needed. Ive dealt with non bypass shocks so this will add a learning curve.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Five long years but the bypasses are on. Got the shock mount done and cycled the suspension. Flattened i still have 5.5” of space so im going to let the springs go negative just a bit to get a little extra.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Tree trunk
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 01, 2025 1:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1987 bronco “garage art”

Re: Carly's 96

Post by Tree trunk »

Very cool what’s next on the list?

Also I’m not sure if you had posted a picture or talked about it, but what are you doing for front inner fender wells? Are you using the stock fenders wells cut out around the shock?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Tree trunk wrote:Very cool Image what’s next on the list?

Also I’m not sure if you had posted a picture or talked about it, but what are you doing for front inner fender wells? Are you using the stock fenders wells cut out around the shock?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you sir. I dont have hydro bumps yet, so i have some other bumps for now but i figured out what id need when i do go hydro in the rear. No worries, i used the inner fender wells and cut around the shocks and cage. Its in there somewhere buried in the thread. I hated not having them with my last bronco.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Image
Image
Image
Alright 1 caliper bracket down. The wheel fits and i glued the outside down. I need to remove the axle and weld the inside but ran out of time. I know its not big 11” rotors but i still think the rear calipers will help alot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Tree trunk
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu May 01, 2025 1:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1987 bronco “garage art”

Re: Carly's 96

Post by Tree trunk »

Right on

Yo- looks like everyone is over at bad lines good times, you ever go in that site? I started a thread over there as well. But I’ll keep this one rolling as well


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Tree trunk wrote:Right on Image

Yo- looks like everyone is over at bad lines good times, you ever go in that site? I started a thread over there as well. But I’ll keep this one rolling as well


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ill check it out more. I havent been on that site, although this is the only site I have posted on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Image
Image
Brakes on the axle are done. Pulled and installed axles more times than I want to admit but they’re solid.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Image
Image
Finished the shock mounts on the axle and one of the two bump pads. Itll have a 1/4” gusset internally thatll get welded on before the pad. Theres a slot the gusset will get welded to.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Post Reply