Jim's going back to Baja.....and other places too

Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Jim's going back to Baja.....and other places too

Post by Rmc »

I was yet agian checking out your ride and I noticed the front bump stop appears to be in contact with the beams at ride height, I was poking around YouTube the otherday and found this, it may help slow speed ride quality.
http://youtu.be/UbuBTrF9RZ8
User avatar
1Hondalover
Posts: 819
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....
Location: Santa Clarita

Re: Jim's going back to Baja.....and other places too

Post by 1Hondalover »

Pretty good work there bud. You're right it does touch.....I'm a bit new to this setup but assume it may have been adjusted to keep the tires away from the fan coil box as well as the UMP housing under the left front. Thanks for the bump vid showing how to install the longer spacer aka shortening the travel. Does this change the progressive rate of the bump?
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Jim's going back to Baja.....and other places too

Post by Rmc »

Not shure on rate change but the full bottom out placement remains the same. I had the same issue on a truck I have and purchased 2 1/2 inch stroke to put up front. If I had to do it over I would have shortened the 4 inch ones I already had. Reason being the cans are identical length, but the exposed piston was shorter. im willing to bet its the same inards just with an added spacer. i diddnt take them apart to check.What I can say is overall ride quality is greatly improved when not " bumping out" on small stuff. It allows a progressive resistance on up travel and u don't feel the engagement of the bump, kinda let the springs slow the uptravel beam speed before bumping. Currently I have 2.5 stroke bumps on the front of my bronco and I cannot feel the bump engagement point. U can crank up the coilovers but the down side will be higher center of gravity( needs to be avoided),Hope it helps.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Jim's going back to Baja.....and other places too

Post by Rmc »

Anyone know if the bump rates are different between a 2&1/2 and 4 inch stroke bump? I'm thinking they would be due to gas compression rate changes, but they may have different guts.
Post Reply