Carly's 96

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

entity-unknown wrote:Even a knock off should be good :) Just a suggestion but do what you're gonna do and get it in spec hopefully in 1 shot. Since you want this to be the last time you have to pull the diff, set it too far out, and then too far in and read patterns each time. You'll walk away knowing more but really, you'll have more confidence you did it right when you set the final depth because checking patterns never gives the same clear pattern the Photoshop quality pix and drawn images set your expectations to see. It's worth the extra 1-2 hours to do it a few times ;)
P.S. only paint about 3-4 teeth in 3 areas, not the whole ring and just a dab of paint will do'er each pattern run :)
Yessir I agree. I'm going to use shims instead of the baffle for setup just in case. I'm also contemplating making a setup bearing for the outer pinion bearing. I have seen that the thinner the better. If not you can't read the markings.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
entity-unknown
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco 302 HO w/ MAF/AOD owned since 2001.

Post by entity-unknown »

I can't remember if you need the baffle in but I think you do.... Either way, yes def do setup bearings to both sides of the pinion too. It's the D44 so you have 4 points of adjustment and each one will change the other when reading your pattern. That's why I suggested going too far in and out, basically do it 7+ times so you can walk away with the warm and fuzzies :)
hobbyturnedobsession

Carly's 96

All the diff parts showed up so the diff is complete with the ring gear. I am still waiting on pinion shims so I made a shim stack to see if my numbers were correct. The diff fits nice and snug before adding preload shims. Also a buddy of mine has an arbor setup so on his advice I am going to borrow it to figure out pinion depth.Image

hobbyturnedobsession

Carly's 96

Also has anyone ran a Yukon duragrip? I'm thinking of putting one in the rear since it'll be less abrasive vs a locker. They sell a spring version with standard clutches and another with the s spring and carbon fiber clutches. It was either that or rebuild the posi with Ford racing carbon fiber clutches.

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

I ran one after running the Detroit and loved it.....much better manners than the Detroit in my opinion, super quiet and very streetable.
hobbyturnedobsession

tcm glx wrote:I ran one after running the Detroit and loved it.....much better manners than the Detroit in my opinion, super quiet and very streetable.
I was thinking that too. Did you notice a difference climbing?

tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Not a single difference Randy. I remember using that at KOH and in the sand it felt every bit as good as the Detroit....
hobbyturnedobsession

tcm glx wrote:Not a single difference Randy. I remember using that at KOH and in the sand it felt every bit as good as the Detroit....
Thank you Tony. I kept the front open since I had issues with a posi in the front on my last one. I wanted to make sure I put something in the rear that Carly could drop the kids off at school but still be able to make it through the trails.

tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

That’s exactly what I ran Randy, open front...to my recollection, I got stuck once, in soft sand, in 2wd. Put myself in 4wd and popped myself right out. I think that setup truly works great for 99 percent of the wheeling. That and carry a strap. Haha
entity-unknown

Post by entity-unknown »

The Auburn Pros I have up front and rear really do lock up the whole time except when you need them to release in a turn. It's also rebuildable. I'm pretty sure an open carrier will get you out of most anything with the right line and driver skillz tho ;) I watched my Auburns a few times when the tires were slippin but never did they unlock and I crawled right up once I throttled down each time. I'm still gettin out and learning but I've had the rig for 19 years and the Auburns are lovely :) My buddy Brian at Brian's Bronco Restoration recommends them to all his customers too which was nice to hear since I got to say I already had it :)
I have a factory 4.10 carrier/gears with some new Aussie lockers tho if someone needs em :D
hobbyturnedobsession

Carly's 96

Ok so I have not made an adjustment yet but I needed a starting point. I need to move the pinion depth in and backlash was off but not nearly as bad as I was expecting.ImageImage

hobbyturnedobsession

Carly's 96

I had a moment. Pinion depth is good backlash is off. Almost took a step back.

entity-unknown

Post by entity-unknown »

Don't worry about the backlash until you're at the last steps and get that pattern lookin spot on. Just focus on that pinion and pattern otherwise It'll keep you there for hours if you're changing the carrier shims. You're so close! This is also why I suggested to go to deep and shallow so you get a better feel. Seriously though, you're so close :)
entity-unknown

Post by entity-unknown »

Once you get the pinion, you'll adjust the carrier shims for backlash. This will change some things and might require you to change your pinion shims again. But that's why you only focus on the pinion given you set your carrier shims roughly close and tight. So after the pinion adjustments, it's game time and you really get to dial this all in shim by shim. Do it right and you'll be tellin your buddies for years how you did this job cuz it won't break ;)
hobbyturnedobsession

Carly's 96

Well she should be good to go. Pattern rides in the center of the gear backlash is in the middle of the range and drive and coast look good from what I can see. If I didn't have setup bearings, the carrier would've become a lawn ornament after I chucked it out of the garage. ImageImage

entity-unknown

Post by entity-unknown »

That looks spot on. Congratulations and hope you never see those gears again :)
hobbyturnedobsession

entity-unknown wrote:That looks spot on. Congratulations and hope you never see those gears again :)
Thank you sir! I promise I asked multiple others more experienced than myself before posting. I'm not too proud. Man I hope so. I told my wife I'm not guaranteeing shit until it gets put in 4wd and it doesn't grenade.

hobbyturnedobsession

Carly's 96

Ok well here it is. Don't look like much but I'm pretty happy with it. Backlash set at .007 ring gear preload set at 28 in lbs with new seals bearings and carrier. Should be able to put it in this weekend if I get the time.ImageImageImageImageImage

Pickuptrucker
Bronco Info: 1982 c6, 9" gears, lockers,

Post by Pickuptrucker »

Nice work
hobbyturnedobsession

Pickuptrucker wrote:Nice work
Thank you