Philo's 93 Bronco aka "Lucky Bronco #3"

toddz69

Re: Philo's 93 Bronco aka "Lucky Bronco #3"

Post by toddz69 »

BDKW1 wrote:I just did some bolt on brackets for a buddy, He ran the Dodge rotors and 6 piston CNC calipers with the 5-1/4" mounts. They fit ver well with minimal trimming. I'll see if I can dig up some completed pictures.
Yes please.....

Todd Z.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

BDKW1 wrote:I disagree, but it wasn't My vehicle........... When you bolt it to the spindle, your putting a lot more stress on the bolts holding it in. I would be checking those bolts a lot more often than you normally would.........
Rotational shear that has to overcome friction between the spindle and knuckle, but not much else. 3/8 has a shear strength around 10,000 lbs, multiply by 5 and that's 50,000 lbs. My brakes couldn't do a tenth of that.

Penhall did some back in the day where they welded to the knuckles, owner of the Bronco ripped the calipers off a couple of times, moved the bracket to the spindle and never had an issue again. I doubt Penhall would weld to cast without the proper process and nickel rod.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Your calculations are missing a few factors................

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Cool part, I like it.
toddz69

Re: Philo's 93 Bronco aka

Post by toddz69 »

philofab wrote:
BDKW1 wrote:Rotational shear that has to overcome friction between the spindle and knuckle, but not much else. 3/8 has a shear strength around 10,000 lbs, multiply by 5 and that's 50,000 lbs. My brakes couldn't do a tenth of that.
Philo - is your bracket picking up 3 or 5 spindle bolts? I can't tell from the pictures.

If they're using 5 or 6, there should be no issues whatsoever with a bolted on bracket as it mimics what Ford did on their solid axle trucks prior to 1980 and what GM did with theirs through '91. When I ran the numbers awhile back, the 2 piston PBR calipers exerted a similar brake torque with the 13" rotors as the stock Ford/Chevy single piston calipers did with the stock 11.75" rotors.

I'd have to back and review the mounting configuration of the PBR calipers on the Mustang Cobras but I think they used 3 bolts on a smaller bolt circle in their setup.

Todd Z.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Come to think of it, the one pictured is nearly identical to a vw bug front caliper bracket but overgrown.
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

Rmc wrote:Come to think of it, the one pictured is nearly identical to a vw bug front caliper bracket but overgrown.

The bolt on combo spindle brake brackets do not hold the spindle in too, just hold the bracket on. With the shock loading from the brakes, the chanses of the bolts which are all ready under a pretty good load loosening up are greatly increased. The one above got 180KPSI allen bolts to hold the snout in, torqued down with top locks and red locktite for good measure...............

Anybody wants to get some more of those cut out, I can send you a DXF file for them. Can also do the standard 3.5" caliper mounting spread, but I'm not sure how the clearance to the upright would be with those. Can also do 5 bolt ABS spindle pattern..............
philofab
Basura Blanca

Re: Philo's 93 Bronco aka

Post by philofab »

toddz69 wrote:Philo - is your bracket picking up 3 or 5 spindle bolts? I can't tell from the pictures.

If they're using 5 or 6, there should be no issues whatsoever with a bolted on bracket as it mimics what Ford did on their solid axle trucks prior to 1980 and what GM did with theirs through '91. When I ran the numbers awhile back, the 2 piston PBR calipers exerted a similar brake torque with the 13" rotors as the stock Ford/Chevy single piston calipers did with the stock 11.75" rotors.

I'd have to back and review the mounting configuration of the PBR calipers on the Mustang Cobras but I think they used 3 bolts on a smaller bolt circle in their setup.

Todd Z.

These are using three of the five bolts. I am planning on making a bracket that uses all five and possibly has an "ear" that comes off the front side to make the steering double shear. I may pick up on a couple of the dust shield bolt locations (drilled and taped larger or through bolted) to give some extra strength. Also thinking about running Scott's reinforcement plate on the backside.

The original plan for the three bolt mount was to be able to remove and replace a spindle/hub combo without dis-assembly. Then use my spare tire mount to store the spindle, hub, lockout, and five studs as the actual mount for the spare. The limited space between the studs and hub are going to make that difficult to keep the assembly together for repairs.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Brian those pics from Kevin's bronco? I want to get that file from you guys. I have all the parts just not ready to jump to a 17" wheel.
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

Yes, Kevin's Bronco. Matt has the files and can cut them for you.......
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Are the CNCs pretty standard caliper mounts. I have wilwoods haven't measured them yet.
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

Most Wilwoods are 3.5" mounts.
yogib

Post by yogib »

Who, our how, can a guy get a set of those brackets ?? BDKW1 ?? And Price?? I upgraded my calipers but still not enough brakes yet. And I have a feeling when the 427w goes in. I for sure will need to be able to reign the beast in, with some better brakes.
yogib

Post by yogib »

Or if you can E-mail me the DXF file (PM me) I would greatly appreciate it.
yogib

Post by yogib »

http://cncbrakes.com/bac.asp?grp=bac&su ... subseries= Wondering if this is the caliper you were speaking of for your bracket. BDKW1 ? And this for the rotor? http://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotor ... ?did=33017 2,000 dodge 1500 4wd 12.11" dia. with 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern. Year 2,000 seem to be the newest and largest I came across.
yogib

Post by yogib »

yogib wrote:http://cncbrakes.com/bac.asp?grp=bac&su ... subseries= Wondering if this is the caliper you were speaking of for your bracket. BDKW1 ? And this for the rotor? http://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotor ... ?did=33017 2,000 dodge 1500 4wd 12.11" dia. with 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern. Year 2,000 seem to be the newest and largest I came across.
http://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotor ... p?did=9223
EDIT: 2013 dodge 1500 4wd,s are 336mm or 13 15/16" by 139.7mm or 5 on 5 1/2" size. these the ones ???
yogib

Post by yogib »

OOPS . Edit my Edit . 13 15/64,s "
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

yogib wrote:OOPS . Edit my Edit . 13 15/64,s "

That is the size. I would not go with drilled rotors. Slotted yes.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

No real reason not to run factory style non drilled/slotted rotors.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Can't decide between gloss Black or Mettalic Blue paint... that is what happens when you machine uniball spacers too wide and have to wait for that to be fixed before you can mock front suspention up....