Page 1 of 1

Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:02 pm
by mgobaja
I'm wanting to block off / cover the factory AM/FM radio antenna mounting location. Has anybody seem something already made for this, or made something yourself ?

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:35 am
by PaulW
put your VHF antenna there?

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:07 am
by mgobaja
that is an idea. but those were planned to go through the roof.

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:49 am
by PaulW
I drove my Bronco with the whip removed for years and Now Rugged has one of several antennas there VHF's there. My new F150 - same deal I just removed the whip and replaced it with a proper threaded plug.
Maybe you could find a less conspicuous cap/cover for the hole after you remove what Ford provided? A flat - thin metal plate with the correct color bonded over the hole?
Or weld the hole and repaint?

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:51 am
by mgobaja
I have done the whip removal on other vehicles, and that works, but was hoping there was some type of " delete " plug / cap to fill the hole. when paint prep time comes in likely about 12 months, then it will get a welded type of permanent cap

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:32 am
by VintageIronFab
Best way to do it and do it at your pace is go to your local pick and pull— in the appropriate color— very very VERY slowly weld a filler in and then body work it- do the paint work - maybe $100 at a shop and re install. Very little down time and work at a pace to make perfect.

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:37 am
by sydude
I’d cut out a rectangular plate of .0625 aluminum, round the corners smooth and rivetit right over the hole. Brush the aluminum with a scotch brite pad and it’ll look rad. That’s what I did as a base plate for my non-oem antenna.

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:02 pm
by SteveG
https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php? ... ts_id=2923

Can be used for a UHF antenna, too. I put a little stubby antenna on there... looks cool and fills the hole.

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:18 am
by sydude
Quick and easy!

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:31 am
by Wrightracing.net
SteveG wrote:https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php? ... ts_id=2923

Can be used for a UHF antenna, too. I put a little stubby antenna on there... looks cool and fills the hole.
I really like those antenna mounts. I will be running a Kenwood TK-790H dual band TK-890H radio setup and a high power 10/11 meter radio in the Bronco. I would love to get a all band all mode radio that would be in the 100-200 watt range, but most antennas that will cover 25mhz to 500mhz don't look to durable for off road. Some all band radio's have a automatic antenna tuner built in. We will see. I would like to cover all band's friends might have. I should just carry a couple loaner hand held VHF radio's. Me and my mom already run helmet kits a Yaesu VHF hand held radio's in our Camel packs. I even put a quick disconnect PTT switch on the handle bars of both of our quads.


David


Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:45 am
by PaulW
Always looking for education on antennas. To many of them out there to digest all the hype.
Steve,
Does Rugged have VHF/UHF gain comparisons for antennas and their location.

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:34 pm
by SteveG
Wrightracing.net wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:31 am
I would love to get a all band all mode radio that would be in the 100-200 watt range, but most antennas that will cover 25mhz to 500mhz don't look to durable for off road.
That's the problem with multi-band antennas. We designed a great dual band (VHF / UHF) antenna years ago but have been hesitant to take it to market because a lot of our customers play off-road and it will very likely break when you slam it into a tree... get a three or four band antenna off-road and it will break in no time.

If you need to run two bands at a time (few non-ham radio users do), use an antenna switch.

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:43 pm
by SteveG
PaulW wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:45 am
Always looking for education on antennas. To many of them out there to digest all the hype.
Steve,
Does Rugged have VHF/UHF gain comparisons for antennas and their location.
Hi Paul, we don't. Data sheets on our offerings are available separately but there is no single document to compare on. As far as UHF and VHF antennas, I always recommend our two main Non-Ground Plane offerings. They're, by far, our most popular antennas and the most forgiving as far as mounting location. They work best on a metal roof, but still offer excellent performance mounted on roll cage bars, roof racks and even fender mounts. In fact, the VHF version is so good that we shelved our laser-accurate, super-tunable race antenna. In concept the race antenna is a great idea, but when you factor in the typical racer that can barely manage to power on their comms before race day, forgiving is much better answer.

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:24 pm
by PaulW
SteveG wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:34 pm
Wrightracing.net wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:31 am
I would love to get a all band all mode radio that would be in the 100-200 watt range, but most antennas that will cover 25mhz to 500mhz don't look to durable for off road.
That's the problem with multi-band antennas. We designed a great dual band (VHF / UHF) antenna years ago but have been hesitant to take it to market because a lot of our customers play off-road and it will very likely break when you slam it into a tree... get a three or four band antenna off-road and it will break in no time.

If you need to run two bands at a time (few non-ham radio users do), use an antenna switch.
=== =
I gave up now I have two antennas one for each radio. I tried a high gain no-ground plane and broke it on the first off road trip. The high mounted coil was up to the abuse and just broke in two.

Re: Antenna Delete Ideas

Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:56 pm
by mgobaja
@steveG - is there a 1/4 wave non ground plane antenna that can be used on the Bronco / F150 mount the rugged offers ?