Page 1 of 1
Different Use for Tire Swing Hinge?
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:54 pm
by robertcrav
I know it's not a 'new' idea, but since most of us ditch the factory tire swing, has anyone removed the tire carrier part and left the hinge mounted to the body to use as a whip and/or antenna mount? Like maybe just the upper hinge?
Re: Different Use for Tire Swing Hinge?
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:12 pm
by 95bronco12
Re: Different Use for Tire Swing Hinge?
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:33 pm
by robertcrav
Exactly!
Re: Different Use for Tire Swing Hinge?
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:26 pm
by Rmc
Cool idea!
Re: Different Use for Tire Swing Hinge?
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:40 pm
by tcm glx
I have been working an idea to use mine to build a tower for long range race radio. Back in the day, when my dad and I use to char, we would set up a tower for longer range reception.
Re: Different Use for Tire Swing Hinge?
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:46 pm
by robertcrav
Nice....year or so ago I had seen a pic of a guy that used the hinge pin hole for a whip and drilled another hole closer to the body for a cb antenna...and I saw a cb mounted 'normally' to a tire swing on the freeway so wanted to bring it up and document it.
Tony would the long range just be for when you are parked?
Re: Different Use for Tire Swing Hinge?
Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:59 pm
by tcm glx
robertcrav wrote:Nice....year or so ago I had seen a pic of a guy that used the hinge pin hole for a whip and drilled another hole closer to the body for a cb antenna...and I saw a cb mounted 'normally' to a tire swing on the freeway so wanted to bring it up and document it.
Tony would the long range just be for when you are parked?
Yup. We carried three poles that were 5 ft talk each. The slid into each other. My dad had a mount clamped to the rear tire swing. I'd like to do it more permanently into the swing portion. I have two spare tire carriers at home for it.
When you set up a remote pit, pull out the poles and run a second antenna. Ez pz.