Page 1 of 2
WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:09 am
by XLR8
SO i've been trying to buy a Grant 5275 or a MOMO steering wheel adapter since December. I have open orders at three places online and for some reason Grant nor MOMO hasn't made any of these all damn year. These 3 vendors call me monthly asking if i want to keep the order open....i'm like well yeah until i get the part leave it open but no one has any. Got a very nice Momo wheel sitting here since Xmas and no way to mount.
So GD frustrating. I might just have a mount made, might be faster at this point.
Anyone have a line on an adapter i can buy?
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:06 am
by sgerber
Weld on a Sweet Mfg quick release.
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:34 pm
by XLR8
sgerber wrote:Weld on a Sweet Mfg quick release.
Thanks, i just found those online like 30 mins ago. so weld that sucker on and i'm good to go?
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:45 pm
by Becks_Bronco
https://www.jegs.com/i/Grant/470/5275/10002/-1
Jegs says it will ship 5/23? No way to know how they know that lol
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:45 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Yes weld it on and you have the standard racing 3 hole pattern there. You can then adapt to the momo/sparco or whatever pattern easily.
On a side note, what momo adapter are you looking for (part/model #)? I have one here I'm not using right away but I'd need a guaranteed replacement for it. I used to have one of the 92-95 and then another of the 96 if I'm remembering the year breakdown correctly. Can't remember which I have here though now, or where in my hoard it is stashed either though.
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:55 pm
by XLR8
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Yes weld it on and you have the standard racing 3 hole pattern there. You can then adapt to the momo/sparco or whatever pattern easily.
On a side note, what momo adapter are you looking for (part/model #)? I have one here I'm not using right away but I'd need a guaranteed replacement for it. I used to have one of the 92-95 and then another of the 96 if I'm remembering the year breakdown correctly. Can't remember which I have here though now, or where in my hoard it is stashed either though.
Thanks man, it's the 3/4" shaft right? I think after looking at this and knowing a bit how these things work with race cars i'd rather have the weld on. Not sure why i didn't try and search for something like this in the first place. Most of the Grant stuff is junk and the Momo kit is pretty simple as well. I think i'll order the 3/4" 6 bolt one for the Momo wheel but since i want to keep my horn i'll need to make sure i leave enough wire in place in case some idiot pulls the wheel off.
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:19 pm
by ChaseTruck754
If I remember right it is the 3/4" shaft. Been a long time though so don't hold me to that. As far as I remember there is a writeup on here somewhere with pictures of someone adding one. I think it was Matt/Vintageiron Fab in his Marilyn (F-150) project maybe?? You may have to cut the steering shaft down to do it. Can't recall for sure.
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:55 pm
by sgerber
XLR8 wrote:sgerber wrote:Weld on a Sweet Mfg quick release.
Thanks, i just found those online like 30 mins ago. so weld that sucker on and i'm good to go?
You have to make a piece to adapt it still. the shaft on the bronco is to short so you cant just slide the new splined piece over and weld it or your wheel would be to close to the dash.
I cut a piece of 3/4 DOM about 3" long or so and tapped it to M10 same thread as the shaft on the bronco then i screwed a piece of all thread into the tube and welded it flush on one end and left about 3/4" sticking out the other end. Then i screwed this into the bronco steering shaft and welded around it. Then slide the new splined piece on and welded flush with the end and did a rosette weld on the back side onto the steering shaft, if that all makes sense.
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:24 pm
by XLR8
sgerber wrote:XLR8 wrote:sgerber wrote:Weld on a Sweet Mfg quick release.
Thanks, i just found those online like 30 mins ago. so weld that sucker on and i'm good to go?
You have to make a piece to adapt it still. the shaft on the bronco is to short so you cant just slide the new splined piece over and weld it or your wheel would be to close to the dash.
I cut a piece of 3/4 DOM about 3" long or so and tapped it to M10 same thread as the shaft on the bronco then i screwed a piece of all thread into the tube and welded it flush on one end and left about 3/4" sticking out the other end. Then i screwed this into the bronco steering shaft and welded around it. Then slide the new splined piece on and welded flush with the end and did a rosette weld on the back side onto the steering shaft, if that all makes sense.
Yeah that makes sense. I have some spacers that go between the wheel and quick disconnect as well i can use to get it to the right spacing. My column feels a bit worn and the shifter isn't the most secure so might rebuild it as well while i'm in there. Everything from the firewall to the wheels has been redone already. Thanks
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:04 am
by VintageIronFab
MOMO 4535 - just search on EBay - they are all over.
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:55 am
by XLR8
VintageIronFab wrote:MOMO 4535 - just search on EBay - they are all over.
Well sort of. There seem to be 3 models for 90's Broncos and the one for a 95 seems hard to find and isn't being made currently.
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:55 pm
by VintageIronFab
Go to eBay —Type in momo 4535 and it comes up immediately
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:58 pm
by VintageIronFab
I see how it’s listed but there isn’t a column difference in any of the 92-96 Fseries or Broncos.
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:29 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Matt - there are most definitely 2 different hubs offered for the 92-96 broncos/F-150's. I've had both, and still have one of the 2. I forget what the part number is aside from the 4535 now, but I seem to remember holding both side by side and seeing a slight difference in the spline area. It's been years now & I can't recall for sure. Interesting that there isn't a column difference
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:04 am
by VintageIronFab
I’d bet this then- if there’s a spline oddity then I bet the chances of having the odd spline is unlikely- I’d bet the 4535 is the one virtually everyone has.
WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:46 am
by Andy Jones
Hit up Tanner on here. He has the stretched white Bronco. He made this for me.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:47 am
by Andy Jones
It screws into the column. Then you rosette weld it and put a bead at the top and bottom.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:31 pm
by eoffroader
WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:42 pm
by Andy Jones
I have the sweet mfg one. Tanner made a column that screws into the steering column. You then slide the splines over and weld. Works bitchin !
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: WTB: Steering wheel mount - so frustrating
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:57 pm
by eoffroader
Andy Jones wrote:
I have the sweet mfg one. Tanner made a column that screws into the steering column. You then slide the splines over and weld. Works bitchin !
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the sound of that and I lost all the plastic a couple years ago I might just sheet metal it all around the column