Page 1 of 3

7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:34 pm
by Travisfab
This was an unexpected project. A co worker actually found it & knew about my weird obsession with Explorers. The truck was 2 hours away, and I decided to roll the dice and see if it was decent. The Craigslist ad hinted at the owners knowledge; key points were "Won prerunner class in Baja", "Totally caged", & "Very fast". I figured the lack of knowledge would either work greatly in my favor, or greatly against it. As we drove through the port of Long Beach to pick up the truck in San Pedro, the rain intensified to a solid down pour, awesome! I hate to pre judge, but pulling up to an apartment complex, and having an eccentric 65+ year old man come out to greet me did not exactly give me the most confident feeling.

The truck was tucked in the back of an underground parking structure, and had accumulated a fair amount of cob webs and dust. Initial inspection was pleasantly surprising. Decently tucked 2" cage, decent welds, and brand new BFG 33x10.50's. Chassis inspection revealed a leaky diff, blown shocks, but there was not a drop of oil on the ground below it. About this time the owner's 30ish year old son came by to give me the run down. All fluids were excellent, and the truck fired off with ease, idled smooth, and had zero abnormal noise coming from the engine. A quick test drive sealed the deal for me.

The next stage of this journey was getting this beast back to San Diego 100 miles down the 405/5 (yes I should have brought a trailer!). Keep in mind, the atmospheric river was at full pour at this point. Episodes of Roadkill played in my head as I squinted through a terribly blurry window, being smeared by decade old wiper blades. The driver rear window was not working and left me with a nice 8" gap of constant air flow. 4 blown shocks made the ride nice and springy, and the typical Ford power steering allowed 3" of steering wheel play in either direction. All minor inconveniences for a hardened off roader, and the beast was running like a champ down the freeway at 70+.


The rain has been relentless, and I am still revealing details about this truck, but here is what I have found.

- 4.0, runs excellent, mileage unkown, broken speedo/odometer, I can see that the intake manifold has been replaced, havent dug any further
- 5 speed with about 12" of play in the shifter, shifts good otherwise, good clutch
- Cab cage is 2" laced in with 1.5. An X crossmember was put through the rear passenger area. I am thinking this was a parking lot fix to pass tech at some point. This will be one of the first things I cut out and re do.
- Engine cage is all 1.5" tube, kind of funky/fugly, but lands on the frame enough times to be decently strong. This will be an area that I will revisit when suspension upgrades start to happen
- Front suspension is built to the classic 7s specs. Bent beams, lift coils and the stock radius arms, all controlled by 2.5x12 Sway Aways
- Rear suspension looks like a bastard pack, it could be from the National Spring days. It's a nice thick pack with about 10 leafs. It surprisingly uses the stock shackles. Rear shocks are also 2.5x12 Sway Aways

Misc Details
- Howe Power steering pump and reservoir
- Brand new 33x10.50R15 BFG tires on Outlaw 2 style wheels
- Stock location fuel cell (I think they may have just covered the stock gas tank with sheet metal, lol!)
- Functional heat, AC, gauges, power door/locks (luxury prerunner)
- A faint remnant of a BITD tech tag
- An even more faint name on the passenger door. Anyone know Joe Haight? The previous owner also mentioned Dennis Confrontino. Any of these names ring a bell?


My plan is to make this truck functional, clean, comfortable, and modernized. The immediate goals other than the standard clean up/zip tie treatment are to rebuild the shocks, cut the rear X out, add a bench, and add longer radius arms (I happen to have a pair). There is also a cracked tube going from the engine cage through the firewall, I'll unfortunately have to pull the dash for that. I also need to address the rear axle, and cross my finger that it's only the diff cover leaking.

Here are the photos from the ad
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


I'm holding off on any bigger goals/plans with the truck until I get it out in the dirt, hopefully it works good!

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:37 pm
by Travisfab
No edit button sucks!
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:05 pm
by Becks_Bronco
Cool! Just looks like it needs a GOOD scrubbing and some details addressed. Could be a fun cruiser.

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:02 pm
by Travisfab
Here are some pics after I got it home

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:24 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Nice score. I emailed him a month or so back and held back on looking as he said "2wd" to my 1st question, and I wasn't sure I wanted to find what you found. Let me rephrase that... I was nervous for the sake of my marriage I would find what you found! No pics in the ad when I saw it, and the Dad couldn't email or text them so that helped my case for holding back as well. I totally would have converted that to 4wd for the price he was asking. It's even the color of my old one (pic for nostalgia sake). Again, glad I didn't go look as I'm currently still married LOL.

Looking forward to see how you clean this one up & what you do with it.
S & B cars2.JPG
S & B cars2.JPG (132.63 KiB) Viewed 6713 times

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:12 am
by Pickuptrucker
That thing had good potential for sure, very neat!

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:07 pm
by Travisfab
The not so awesome 90's bumpers fell victim to the saw zaw the day after I got it. I'm ditching the stock bumpers & building new tube bumpers for the front and rear.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:57 pm
by AussieRod
Best mod so far! :)

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:56 am
by toddz69
Congrats on the purchase! Looks like a neat starting point for a project - I'm a sucker for first gen Explorers too.

I know, or should say, knew, Joe Haight. I probably haven't had any contact with him in over 20 years. I did some pitting with the Andataco, and later, Ace Racing, teams in the late 90s/early 00s when they raced Stock Full F150s and an Explorer (2nd gen). Joe was around in the Andataco days and I think had some aspirations of racing on his own. No idea what he's up to now but he was a good dude back then.

Todd Z.

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:45 am
by Travisfab
Would be pretty cool to track him down to figure out some history on this thing

Next up was addressing the shocks. They have suffered for many years in ignorant hands! Zero nitrogen in all 4, multiple shaft caps loose, oil caked on thick, good times! Brought them over to my buddy john at Keen Shock Works. I'm assuming at one point some time was spent getting these valved to proper specs, so just a clean up/rebuild this time around, I am also going to hit the bodies with Steel-It when I get them back.

Image

Image

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:25 pm
by Travisfab
The seats and harnesses were dated, so out with the old, in with the new. I also cut the rear X out to accommodate a bench seat.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:53 pm
by Travisfab
The wiring in this truck is pretty much all stock other than a few things that were done at one point to make it race legal. The ignition, fuel pump, & stereo are on switches, as well as the push to start. The trailer wiring harness was a highlight, along with way too many exposed live leads!! This mess will all disappear and end up in the dash, & the battery will be relocated to the rear cargo area & replaced with an AGM unit.
Image
Image
*note the "support" tube under the rear seat bar, lol!

There was also a tube from the engine cage to the dash bar that was completely cracked through and rattling around. Dash had to go, to get to this, and everything is all cleaned up and ready for repair.
Image
Image

Happy to say that it has sat on concrete for over a week now and is only leaking from the rear diff.
Image

7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:52 am
by S00TLYFE
Great score, I was considering scooping this thing up as I’ve wanted to build an expo for awhile now. I know you’ll get it where it needs to be!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:52 am
by S00TLYFE
Great score, I was considering scooping this thing up as I’ve wanted to build an expo for awhile now. I know you’ll get it where it needs to be!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:19 am
by Travisfab
Working on something here

Image

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:11 pm
by Travisfab
Front suspension is coming together
Image

7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:14 pm
by Travisfab
Got it all back up & running and took it in for a real alignment.
Image
Image

Interior is cleaned up pretty good. The blacks seats sat too high and will require cutting out/replacing tubes. I’m going to get some dirt miles in before I dive into that project.
Image
Image

Last big thing on the list is to replace the bent rear axle housing.

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:10 pm
by Becks_Bronco
Travisfab wrote:Image
Woooweee! That green one is spotless.

Re: 7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:17 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Nice!

Random side track, but you know anything about the green & gold one at the alignment shop? Any clue on tire size (guessing 35's) and who makes that glass?

7s Explorer Revival

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:14 pm
by Travisfab
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Nice!

Random side track, but you know anything about the green & gold one at the alignment shop? Any clue on tire size (guessing 35's) and who makes that glass?
Yeah he’s my good buddy. 37’s & Fiberwerx