Page 1 of 2

1996 sleeper build

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:09 pm
by 1996sleeper
Hey everyone had a build goin of dezertrangers but wanted to share here as well. Turned 18 few months back and picked my self up a 1996 f150 2wd 351 auto xlt extracab shortbed. Was exactly what I was looking for and 180,000 miles on its ticker. Jumped back and forth between full build or sleeper due to I would be building the whole truck with my own money with my weekend jobs while in highschool. Decided to go sleeper build for cool factor and got all my parts collected and ready to take in the fab shop this month (I hope lol). So far to the truck has had full fluid flush and tune up. 2 high flow cats to a flow master super44, slot and drilled rotors and pads and wheel bearings. New bilstein 8125 12" coilovers up front with 400/500 spring rate, autofab 4" lift bent stock beams, procomp brake line and straps, Nexgen heims 1.25 heims, rebuilt deaver f53 back, trussed 8.8 with Currie axles, 4.56 gears mag-hytec diff cover and believe a Yukon locker but have no idea so please correct me if the pic shows differnt, bilstein 8125 10" shocks for the back and have all the stuff to do expo disc brake conversion for back, 5 bfg all terrains on 5 alcoas, full stereo and sub. Optima battery and box with a sweet custom airfilter haha. So now with that endless list hope to have the truck go under the knife soon for radius arms built, Coilover cage built with shocks installed and rear shock mounts and both bumpers done, debating weather to have a cross brace added between radius arm brackets across the undercarriage if you guys have advice on this let me know please now time for what everyone came for haha the pics ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Re: 1996 sleeper build

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:50 pm
by dtbback
That's a really great start!!! Can't wait to see what you have planned for the bumpers. Oh, and I'm not sure but I think that Taylor's bed might be available for sale since he swapped to a bed with glass.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:57 pm
by RyanDS650X
Great start and more than enough to get you in trouble!

Re: 1996 sleeper build

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:01 pm
by 1996sleeper
I believe it sold it was a clean bed just didn't have the money for it at the time and as soon as I got some in he was sold but thanks tho I did buy my gauge pod from him really cool guy with super clean f1!

Re: 1996 sleeper build

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:16 pm
by tcm glx
Looking forward to seeing this, build sheet looks like a great start.

Re: 1996 sleeper build

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:17 pm
by dtbback
Not sure if your interested but I have an Autofab bolt on bumper/Frame Horn kit that I am not going to be using.

Re: 1996 sleeper build

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:20 pm
by 1996sleeper
Yes I'd be interested you wanna shoot me a text 619-607-6909, and thanks everyone for the kind words means a lot coming from guys with some very nice builds

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:56 pm
by cwrisley
Very cool, man. I dig it.

Re: 1996 sleeper build

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:09 pm
by keenanduran1
Can't wait to see it done!

1996 sleeper build

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:10 pm
by Tchajagos
I like that truss on the axle.

Re: 1996 sleeper build

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:07 pm
by 1996sleeper
Thanks! One side was hit by a rock and was cracked and dented so either wanna fix that side or take them both off and do Giants style truss for the 8.8 with removable trussed diff cover

1996 sleeper build

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:08 pm
by 1996sleeper
Trucks progress has been moving along greatly! Got it back with deavers and axle installed and came out great, Giant style truss with full bottom truss and expo rear brake upgrade and 5/8 studs. Also picked up and installed my gauge pod and bench I picked up from nubreed!!! Thanks again! Also had an awesome time hanging out at the swap meet hanging with all the bronco guys was so nice meeting you guys and scored big time out there! Picked up some bilstein 9300 17" 3 tube bypasses with upgrades knobs and ACV resi that I polished up, battery box and heims for my radius arms, bbk throttle body, bbk fuel rails and differnt style upper manifold, hanneman hood, a mastercraft rs seat then picked up a matching one local new off of craigslist! Also stepped up to 14" coilovers front for better positioning and also some bumps for the front as wellImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Re: 1996 sleeper build

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:44 pm
by robertcrav
Nice meeting you out at LeDuc... looks like a great start. I like the rear truss...and a solid list of parts

Re: 1996 sleeper build

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:42 am
by Seabass
I did not have good results with the spectre filter I ran. Found a whole bunch of dust in the induction system. Just a heads up. Cool project.

Re: 1996 sleeper build

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:39 pm
by 1996sleeper
Seabass wrote:I did not have good results with the spectre filter I ran. Found a whole bunch of dust in the induction system. Just a heads up. Cool project.
Thanks Seabass! I'll probably go get a k&n for it then and put a prefilter on it to just to be cautious.

1996 sleeper build

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:50 pm
by cs_drums
All the oiled filters are bad. They flow a lot about let slot through as well. Check out AEM dry filters

Re: 1996 sleeper build

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:55 pm
by Seabass
I'm an amsoil man nowadays.

1996 sleeper build

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:52 am
by 1996sleeper
So late update: truck has been dropped off at the shop, the glass and suspension has been mocked up just finishing the final touches on shock mounting points, trying to get pics of the progress and truck will have a few different things done then as planned but I think everyone will like it and oh had to pick up a new daily driver since I've been waiting on the truck and scored this little gem (1973 VW thing) that I've been driving around now, once the truck is back I will have a build thread on this one laterImageImage

1996 sleeper build

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:46 am
by 1996sleeper
Well guys here she is, sleeper look totally went out the window when I found some awsome deals, truck has fiber werx front fenders, hanneman hood and rear fenders thanks to nubreed71! Camburg 4.5 over kit with 9100 bumps, 8125 bilstein on 350/450 spring rate, might bump up to 500 on the bottom, simple bedcage with bilstein 9300 triple bypass, truck is amazing and beyond any of my wildest dreams, will deff get some more pics and video up soon, I plan on painting it the same green with all black accent and these sweet rims I picked up. Beyond happy with the truck and so much more to come now ImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1996 sleeper build

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:49 am
by cs_drums
Looking good!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk