Page 1 of 2
72 f100 4x4
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:08 pm
by Orange Gold
Hello, names Eric. Picked up this truck from my buddy couple weeks ago.
72 body on a 80's f150 frame. 351w stoked to 396 ( lightning cam and crank with gt40 heads), built aod to handle the extra power. Progressive coils up front and national leafs in the rear. 50/50 weight distribution as it sits.
Plans for it are to copy my brothers (turf tamer) front end and cage when money allows it.

- image.jpg (132.71 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:12 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Awesome truck & thanks for making a "build" thread on this! This truck is close to what I have wanted to do for a long time. You mind snapping any pics of how they did the body mounts? I figured with the frame differences between the 70's (that is a 73-79 cab by the way) and 90's the body would have to sit a lot higher than it looks like yours sits. I'd be interested to see how they did it!
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:40 pm
by SC150
Is it registered as a 72?
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:04 pm
by Orange Gold
No problem I'll get some later today.
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:05 pm
by Orange Gold
SC150 wrote:Is it registered as a 72?
Yes, it has a section of a 72 frame
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:14 pm
by robertcrav
Orange Gold wrote:SC150 wrote:Is it registered as a 72?
Yes, it has a section of a 72 frame
thats awesome! Nice Truck
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:59 pm
by Orange Gold
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:34 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Perfect! Thank you! That answers my questions as to the front cab mounts. I've seen a couple threads on other websites where guys have done similar, but no one ever seemed to take pics, and their cabs always sat so high on the frame for some reason
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:47 pm
by Wrightracing.net
That is a nice truck. Last night I just got offered a deal on a 75 super cab basket case project. I am so on the fence with it.
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:32 pm
by jkrell
I dig this thing! Cool truck.
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:08 pm
by SteveG
HELL YES!
Years ago I was tempted to buy an F100 on a Bronco chassis with a big block... I'm not a big block guy, so I passed but an engine swap would have been easy... oh well. Nice truck. There are so many simple things you could do to that to make it ridiculously fast. Please keep us updated on it.
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:54 pm
by Orange Gold
Ok guys, need some advice. Found a good deal on a set of 2.5 x 12 coilovers. I had planned on copying my brothers set up, but two new 12s for the price of one new 14in has me thinking. So the question is, what is max useable travel out of the 12s w/ stock width beams? Or should I just save some more for 14s?
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:00 pm
by zachwabbit
Jeez that things awesome!
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:23 pm
by dtbback
I think a lot of the stock width guys are getting 16".
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:04 pm
by dtbback
Pretty sure it requires clocking the diff in addition to clearancing the slip yolk forax articulation.
72 f100 4x4
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:21 am
by cs_drums
Depends on shock position but you should be able to get 16-18"
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:51 pm
by dtbback
Also, to Otter and a few other sources a 14" coilover gives you more mounting options but most produced engine cages are for 12" coilovers.
72 f100 4x4
Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:21 pm
by bpburnard05

it’s still getting used.... got to see it today as a Christmas tree hauler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:15 pm
by Pickuptrucker
Nice looking truck!
Re: 72 f100 4x4
Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:40 pm
by Turf Tamer
Now that Ken has started on my build, my giant engine cage will be up for grabs. I still think you should leave the truck as is though. It drives so nice around town town. You have plenty of space at your house. Buy a Ranger, Bronco or f150 and build that.