Page 1 of 2
1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:14 pm
by Firetwig
Hey guys, I'm here for some help. When I joined this site it was for help building my 1991 Bronco which has been totaled.

However, I own a 1996 Ford Bronco, a 1990 Pontiac Firebird Formula, a 1993 Mustang convertible and my daily driver as well as the main topic of discussion... A 1991 Ford F150 Custom 300 I6 mated to a M5OD, It is 2WD, single cab, and short bed. It has airplane gears in the rear and knocks back some bomb gas mileage. However, I would like it to have some off-road capability while retaining 2wd. I have done minor things to it. I replaced the busted headlights and tails with ones from my old Bronco. Pretty chrome. Swapped my porno red Bronco dash and Carpet in as well as gauge cluster. I have a locker to put in the rear shortly. Hoping to have a tube bumper and HIDs before too long.
Now, it is currently sitting on 31 A/Ts out back and bald 30 A/Ts up front. Going too limp those tires a long for as long as possible. I have some used but good shape 30s to go up front at the last minute and then 33s ultimately but not sure what kind. I need tires for street duty 60%, sand/pea gravel 30%, mild trails 10%. What do y'all suggest?
This is my budget truck as I devote most of my money to my Firebird. (Built motor, 5 speed, new interior, currently building suspension and paint.) I will be tinting the windows an cosmetic things but I want some things done that actually help.
I would love links by the way.
As you can tell, there is a Honda 300EX TRX 2WD in the back. It is always in the back because every day off it and me are playing in the sand. I want to be able to get my truck down on the sandbar with it...
1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:51 am
by robertcrav
So what's your question besides tire recommendations? Which I would say the standby BFG AT...
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:02 am
by Firetwig
I guess at 4 AM I am not always as clear... I want to know what you all suggest for the entire truck with it being a 2wd platform for my driving conditions. More than just tires....
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 am
by RyanDS650X
Firetwig wrote:I guess at 4 AM I am not always as clear... I want to know what you all suggest for the entire truck with it being a 2wd platform for my driving conditions. More than just tires....
So what are your driving conditions?? Where do you live? Whats your budget?
Have you read these...
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... ?f=15&t=10 Front suspension
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... ?f=15&t=12 Rear suspension
Any of the companies in those threads have 2wd setups. Tons of options, you just have to read.
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:45 am
by Firetwig
RyanDS650X wrote:Firetwig wrote:I guess at 4 AM I am not always as clear... I want to know what you all suggest for the entire truck with it being a 2wd platform for my driving conditions. More than just tires....
So what are your driving conditions?? Where do you live? Whats your budget?
Have you read these...
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... ?f=15&t=10 Front suspension
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... ?f=15&t=12 Rear suspension
Any of the companies in those threads have 2wd setups. Tons of options, you just have to read.
My driving condition involves street duty and every weekend and sometimes every night playing on the sandbar with real fine sand and pea gravel. I'm the type of guy that sees what may have been a trail twenty years ago so I'll slam on the brakes turn around and go explore it.
I live in Arkansas. We do have sand you may be surprised.
Budget uhhh... No set budget really just want cheap because I have a vehicle that takes priority. The Bronco and the Mustang are staying stock, my Bird is always getting new stuff and the scraps for his truck. It's not a trophy or show truck so wanting to make it a cheap rig to beat on when I clock out you know.
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:00 am
by RyanDS650X
Gotcha. Well cheap and go fast shouldnt be used in the same sentence haha.
Sounds like you just need to get that locker in and air down when you hit the sand.
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 am
by robertcrav
I'd say 2" or 3" coils, some shocks, the locker and some BFGs and have some fun
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:09 pm
by Firetwig
RyanDS650X wrote:Gotcha. Well cheap and go fast shouldnt be used in the same sentence haha.
Sounds like you just need to get that locker in and air down when you hit the sand.
Not even caring bout the go fast part really... Just if I get down on the sandbar with my friends to pop open a few I want to be able to drive it out.
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:51 pm
by RyanDS650X
Fullsizebroncos.com
They might be more your "speed" over there.
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:24 pm
by Firetwig
I have been on there for two or three years now. I have a straight six so speed is not important a this moment. It hauls enough ass over rough terrain.
One day maybe but right now 55mph is the fastest I can go down there so you see how this is not an issue? I need to be able to not get stuck at low speeds pretty much.
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:39 pm
by ChaseTruck754
As others have said then - locker & air down.
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 pm
by Firetwig
That is what I plan on then. 33inch BFGs and with 3 inch coils, some Bilsteins, do I need other lift parts?
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:51 pm
by SteveG
Firetwig wrote:RyanDS650X wrote:Gotcha. Well cheap and go fast shouldnt be used in the same sentence haha.
Sounds like you just need to get that locker in and air down when you hit the sand.
Not even caring bout the go fast part... Just if I get down on the sandbar with my friends to pop open a few I want to be able to drive it out.
If that's all you want, just keep it as it is and air down. You should be able to put around just fine and you can save money for other projects.
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:03 pm
by Firetwig
Yes, and still launch it up in the air a few feet?
Who has the coils, and which Bilsteins?
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:18 pm
by AussieRod
Firetwig wrote:I have been on there for two or three years now. I have a straight six so speed is not important a this moment. It hauls enough ass over rough terrain.
One day maybe but right now 55mph is the fastest I can go down there so you see how this is not an issue? I need to be able to not get stuck at low speeds pretty much.
4WD TTB, it virtually drops in and you wont get stuck any more.

Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:31 pm
by Firetwig
AussieRod wrote:Firetwig wrote:I have been on there for two or three years now. I have a straight six so speed is not important a this moment. It hauls enough ass over rough terrain.
One day maybe but right now 55mph is the fastest I can go down there so you see how this is not an issue? I need to be able to not get stuck at low speeds pretty much.
4WD TTB, it virtually drops in and you wont get stuck any more.

I toyed with the idea but I am wanting weight down and have never owned a 2wd "truck" so I kind of and to keep it that way... I like the idea of a 2wd whooping 4wds ass. I may do it down the road though.
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:35 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Firetwig wrote:I like the idea of a 2wd whooping 4wds ass. I may do it down the road though.
In sand? Better have a LOT of HP. Not sure that inline 6 will do this for you.
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:08 pm
by Silverslk
If you want to play in sand with 2wd. LOCKER and 12.50 tires. Forget 31's... straight to 33's or 35's with a regear. At bare minimum for suspension, I would say coils up front and decent shocks all way around (Bilstein 5100's would work fine due to use).
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:13 pm
by Firetwig
I'm getting 33s when I decide on stepping up to 17s or not. Gonna roll with what I got till they pop lol. I'm locking the rear and if I regear, would 3:55s or 4:10s work? I could get those for free. I have a Ford 9 inch from a van too....
Re: 1991 Ford F-150
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:17 pm
by Silverslk
I would NOT run 17's and 33's. There is not enough sidewall protection. Regear... lets get Philos opinion. I don't know enough about your transmission.