Page 1 of 10

"Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:23 pm
by Quailhunter
It all started back in the early 70's. I always liked the look and front end of the F-100. I had a Chevy 2wd, but always loved the Ford. I would go to the races in the late 70's and loved the golden age of class 8.
Jump ahead thity-some years and I found myself in a rough patch (lost friends right and left). It was suggested to me to pursue what brought me great joy as a young man. And that was off-road trucks. So I visited with Darin and John at Autofab. Told them what I wanted to do, but that I needed their help. The search was on for a clean stock truck that was not cut up, rusted up, or f'ed up. Found mine in Everett, WA. I asked the seller "Would it make it back to San Diego?", he said "There and back".

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:47 pm
by Quailhunter
I asked John to start on a front end (Deluxe Pkg) 18" travel 3" shocks 1Ton I beams and bumps.
I set up a little space at my yard and started stripping down the front end.

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:01 pm
by Nick
All these great 70's truck builds, we may have to re-name the site.

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:04 pm
by Quailhunter
It had been a long time since a really wrenched on anything so getting this started in the warm summer time was great. Under the truck this nice breeze would start up around 5pm and that kept temps pleasant. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

"Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:20 pm
by robertcrav
I LOVE old stepsides!! Congrats and good luck with the build

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:40 pm
by SteveG
I love those old trucks. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

"Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:31 pm
by economig
Awesome build! My next build will be an F100 for sure. I've been on the fence with it for months and finally decided last night.... As soon as i'm done with the Bronc! :)

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:34 pm
by Quailhunter
I will post more detailed pics of the front end...those are on my PC at work.
I know its all about the pics! The first year we did the front end and tires and wheels and PH1 of the back half. I was not sure if I was going ahead and having Autofab do all the work. I loved the style of fab work Darin was putting out and he was motivated on the concept of the build. It would be wrong to not thank Tom Weber for his help in getting over a couple hurdles. Thanks Tom

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:01 pm
by Quailhunter
Year two, all paths were leading me to Total Performance for a engine. I talked with Greg and he recomended a 408 stroker. I thought that I needed 400 HP. Greg told me we could get north of 450hp on pump gas at 9.75 comp ratio
with a roller hyd cam. Guys I'm not sharp on alot of specs I have trouble remembering my kids names. Here's a pic!

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:30 pm
by tcm glx
I have seen this truck first hand at the fab and it is gorgeous!

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:46 pm
by BajaF250
This is one AWESOME truck! Plus, Rob is really doing a fantastic job with the build. He's really taking a measured approach and has broken the build into phases. This way he's controlling cost and maintains focus on each and every element which produces a high quality product. He's really doing a fantastic job with the build. An eye for detail and the drive to do it right! Well done Rob!

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:48 pm
by BajaF250
Oh, I forgot to mention, that little small block 408 can HAUL butt! Greg did a great job building it. It fits like a glove and moves Rob's truck quite nicely! I can't wait to see the next phase!

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:12 pm
by Agui-E7TE
Awesome build! I've always wanted to build a twin I-beam 70s Ford.. Looking forward to this build.

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:51 am
by ChaseTruck754
Again - LOVE this truck. Who could not love a 70's Ford truck???

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:32 am
by Becks_Bronco
Amazing.

I really hope you plan on keeping the original blocked pinstriping.

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:13 pm
by robertcrav
reminds me of this...
Image

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:18 pm
by Quailhunter
I love that picture, you guys are so fast at pulling stuff up.

That's my truck....great find!

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:53 pm
by Quailhunter
Just got back from Plaster City. WOW..... What a diffrence ! Now that PH II is done in the back half, it's a whole new truck. The ride is great, my hat's off to John & Darin for building me exactly what I wanted. I know some shock tuning
is only going to make it better. Very happy Autofab customer.

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:59 pm
by tcm glx
Dare I ask..... what is Ph III

Re: "Oldbaja"

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:11 pm
by Quailhunter
Ph III is a cage. I was going to drop a pic but that's at the office on the PC.
I had two hunting buddys with me today and one said " Rob,you have to cage this thing"