Page 1 of 5
Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:22 am
by philofab
Picked up this 1990 Ranger yesterday 11-14-11 from James T. here on the board.
Got a ride to Barstow, then caught a ride from Tony (TCM GLX) to Bakersfield where I met James' dad to pick the ranger up.

Driving home on the 58 with a speedo that's way off. Need to fix that.
Luckily the truck had a full tank of gas when I picked it up... almost made it all the way home. Apparently the fuel gauge isn't the most accurate... it was above half a tank in Barstow and then quickly fell. Had to stop at Slim's gas station in Essex to get $20 worth to make it home. I'm lucky that station is there... The truck started sputtering about 5 miles before it and I was able to nurse it to the pump.
The next day at the shop I started cleaning it out and inspecting it.
Someone has put a roll cage in it that I will need to cut out and replace. Also, the rear shackle hangars are welded to the frame so I will need to fix that and flip the shackle. Red interior... Bleh. Wheel spacers on the front. Bleh.
First order of business is check maintenance stuff, then build a set of beams for the front to get rid of the spacers. Tires have flat spots from sitting so I may swap a set of 32" short course tires onto it.
Truck is a 2.3L five speed with an 8.8 disc brake Explorer rear. 4.56 gears. Support cover. Radius arms have heims... not sure who made them.
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:31 am
by philofab
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:39 am
by philofab
The truck does have forged beams so I'll probably just re use the ends and build fabricated equal length beams. I want the tire to match the fender better and also allow the truck to have more bump travel. It currently has a bump stop extension that uses 4" of up travel.
I need to put glass on the rear to cover the wider rear end and allow it to have more bump travel.
Did I mention that this is a shop truck... so it also needs a useable bed that can hold 1000 lbs of batteries. Time for a Hemet arm....
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:53 am
by philofab
New battery for the Ranger... 22 lbs. One of the goals is to keep this truck way light.
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:54 am
by tcm glx
Danger ranger..... glad you made it home safe and sound. The ranger was a good deal for sure!
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:55 am
by SteveG
philofab wrote:...it's obvious the only way to fix this is to build equal length beams and link it.
Oh boy. Here we go!
Light weight with links and Hemet arms?
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:58 am
by philofab
SteveG wrote:philofab wrote:...it's obvious the only way to fix this is to build equal length beams and link it.
Oh boy. Here we go!
Light weight with links and Hemet arms?
It can be done. Leaf springs weigh as much as links if not more. Do you remember the Red Courier that burnt to the ground build by Mark Newhan?
I want to keep it under 3000 pounds with a full cage.
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:07 am
by hobbyturnedobsession
Hahah cause we all know that in laughlin adjacent you need a cage for the shop ranger.
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:08 am
by ChaseTruck754
Damn - you act quick. I thought you weren't heading up there til after Baja.
It's even better though - we get to see the build start even sooner, and that thing looks like a good start for sure.
Looks like fun!
Oh and NICE battery!
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:29 am
by philofab
I just weighed it. 3240# with me in it. I am 220 so the truck should be about 3020 to start with.
I'd like a hp/weight ratio of about 1:15 or better.
I need to get a 2.5L out of a 99/2000 to start playing with.... or the TDI out of Tony's new car.
For now I think I'll swap a later factory header on it and play with cam/ignition timing.
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:36 am
by philofab
The PC928 weights 24 pounds according to the specs, and the group 58 that is in there is 30 or so.
I may go with a Lithium Pros C925. Same case size and only 9.5 pounds.
A fiberglass hood will save a lot of weight too. The factory hood is quite heavy.
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:38 am
by SteveG
Keeping it under 3,000 lbs would be awesome. It can be done, you just have to pay attention to weight everywhere and not overbuild, but you know that. I think it'll be a fun project.
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:44 am
by philofab
Here are my ideas for weight reduction:
Lexan rear window.
Fiberglass single layer hood.
Header in place of exhaust manifold.
Interior cut for cage installation (removing unneeded panels, headliner, ect)
Race seats in place of factory bench
Swap gutted doors on for racing 1450....
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:54 am
by ChaseTruck754
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:07 am
by philofab
That's the plan.
Cage will be simple instead of the standard DR tank design.
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:34 am
by SteveG
What size tire will you use?
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:44 am
by Becks_Bronco
Steve has a spare Ranger he's not using hahaha
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:51 am
by philofab
SteveG wrote:What size tire will you use?
32" most likely because they are cheap from LOORS. I bought the last set of four for $150.
33" maximum. I like the idea of a 33x10.50x15 in front and a 33x12.50x15 in the rear.
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:57 am
by SteveG
philofab wrote:SteveG wrote:What size tire will you use?
32" most likely because they are cheap from LOORS. I bought the last set of four for $150.
33" maximum. I like the idea of a 33x10.50x15 in front and a 33x12.50x15 in the rear.
I like the 33x10.50 but $150 for a set of tires is hard to beat.
Re: Philofab's shop Ranger
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:36 pm
by squirelmurphy
Did you know the nut on the pivot bolt was gone before you started driving? That seems like a pretty drastic way to save weight.
Looks like it will be a fun little project, if it doesn't snowball out of control...but you know they all do.