Page 1 of 2

The Clapper 8

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:59 am
by Big Bastard
Here it is the beginning of the 1980 Flareside build.
The truck was pretty clean with no rust, slammed with a bad tranny and a 302 out of a 79 LTD. I swapped in a 1974 or so vintage 351W from Galaxy. The heads are stock, Edlebrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 600 dfm carb ,2 1/2" long tube headers.
This was one of those goofy trucks with a 5 x 4 1/2 bolt pattern and a king pin front end. I bought a bent beam set up from Auto Fab changing it to 5 x 5 1/2. It came with a 28 spline 9" which I swapped for an 8.8, 31 spline, 4.56 w/ spool rear end I had from my 83 Bronco.
Rather than try to explain to a local tranny shop what I wanted I bought a C6 with reverse manual from Art Carr. The 351 is in, tranny mounted, MSD distributor and 6A ignition mounted but not wired yet. The shifter mount and cable isn't finished yet. I had set of PRP wide, tall seats that are going in it. I'm pretty sure the back of the seats or my head will knock the back window out at some point.

I bought some 80 to 86 Auto Fab glass here in Portland for $240. I've always like that body style so I wanted to stay with that look. I'm still trying to decide whether to go through the bed with the shocks or stay under the bed. I'm staying with leafs. I've got a nice front bumper from my Bronco that was built by Nichols Fab in Tucson that is going on the front. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 am
by Big Bastard
Here is a picture of the front bumper after both Super Oscar lenses fell out during the 2006 1000. Loctite is your friend.

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:42 am
by BajaF250
Wow, nice truck, this is going to be a nice build... can't wait to see the progress! Bummer on the super Oscars... nice lights... errr, they were! :cry:

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:44 am
by AussieRod
Give him time, they will be again :D

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:16 am
by Big Bastard
Safety Tip:
Never start your build thread after being out drinking Margaritas. With the light of day I'm glad I didn't mis-spell a bunch of stuff and generally made sense.
I've got a rear suspension/ shock question for the group. How long a shock will fit under the bed and how much travel can you get staying under the bed? I'm going to change the bed mounts and raise it a couple inches for more room. The springs will be similar to a Deaver/ National set up. Chad at Nichols Fab built them for another project that ended up getting a 4 link.
I'm planning on using Pathfinder bumpstops in the rear for a while or maybe permenantly. My goal is between 12-16 inches of travel whether things stay under the bed or go through the bed.

Does anyone have anymore pictures of this truck? I really look the look of it. I don't plan on painting my truck and will probably leave the fiberglass white.

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:31 am
by ChaseTruck754
That truck belongs to a kid on DR. He got it for free from a neighbor! He has a "build" type thread on DR. I don't think I saved any pics of it as it was built after '79 and not from '92-'96 so it's useless and ugly in my eyes :lol:

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:36 pm
by Big Bastard
LMAO! I've noticed you have your own definition of "good looking".
How come I don't have any neighbors like that?!

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:43 am
by ChaseTruck754
Yes - my definition of "good looking" is correct and all you fools that love the 80-86 front ends are just plain wrong... :D

And I too wish I had neighbors like that...


So I could tell them they own an UGLY truck! :lol:

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:18 am
by BajaBronco13
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Yes - my definition of "good looking" is correct and all you fools that love the 80-86 front ends are just plain wrong... :D

And I too wish I had neighbors like that...


So I could tell them they own an UGLY truck! :lol:
Steve is just jealous. But just to give you an idea of what Steve thinks is a good looking vehicle, he owns an old Alfa, lmao.

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:27 am
by ChaseTruck754
I will admit a lot of Alfa romeo's aren't that good looking. The GTV I own is one sexy car though!
While mine (the tan/multi colored project) isn't as sexy as the other one it will be there someday soon!

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:49 am
by BajaBronco13
Nice girly car there Steve. LMAO. Sorry man I have to give it back since you dish it out. Ford 80-86 forever!!!!

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:50 am
by ChaseTruck754
Now a VW is MUCH more of a girl's car than this Chris!

While this thing isn't a truck by any means it is a fine, Italian Racing car. A bug is an over-produced chick car - hahahaha

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:40 pm
by Joxracing
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Now a VW is MUCH more of a girl's car than this Chris!

While this thing isn't a truck by any means it is a fine, Italian Racing car. A bug is an over-produced chick car - hahahaha

Bugs are so sick... Ive owned 3 in the last 3 years...

Now, 88-91 chevy's.... those suck.

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:37 am
by AussieRod
ChaseTruck754 wrote:I will admit a lot of Alfa romeo's aren't that good looking. The GTV I own is one sexy car though!
While mine (the tan/multi colored project) isn't as sexy as the other one it will be there someday soon!
I like that model Alfa, they are cool :D

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:20 am
by ChaseTruck754
In an attempt to try and make up for leading this thread sideways I tried to find the thread on that red truck on DR but I had no luck. It might be in the general fab section instead of the "rides" section I was looking in. If you want to search for it the thread was called "class 8 rebuild" or something like that. I'd start by searching for class 8

*edit* - can't say I never helped anyone...
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/dr-rides/97068.htm

I forgot the kid thought it was a REAL truck when he started the thread... Yup - he thought it was a '79 :roll:

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 am
by Big Bastard
An old Alfa?! You are a sick bastard. Actually I really like them but have never wanted to take on the challenge of Alfa ownership. A few years ago there were some guys up here that ran a GT V6 rally car. Talk about a labor of love. Sounded kick ass but rarely finished.
I found the thread on the red truck Ruby Class 8. The kid didn't recognize the beauty of the 80-86 models for what they are. Sadly he rolled it, said he was going to update it to the "common" 92-96 style and it disappeared. I'm pretty tall so I like the idea of running the roll cage above the dash rather than bashing me in the shins and knees.

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:25 pm
by philofab
Thank god I'm a proud Rambler owner, you have to be a sick person to be into Alfa Romeos.

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:37 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Yup siiiiiiiick all right! That's what all the bros are saying now right??? That was sick! It's a sick little car by all means. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive the little bastard!

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:09 pm
by BajaBronco13
By the way is that interior a factory color offered on those early to mid Fords? I've seen that color off and on but I don't recall if that's a factory color.

Chris

Re: The Clapper 8

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:00 pm
by Big Bastard
If you mean by factory "slightly rusty" yes it's 31 yr old factory. I'm pretty sure black interior was offered...if that's what we're talking about. He drives an Alfa and I'm the one being made fun of :)