BajaF250

User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by philofab »

BajaF250 wrote:So, whatta saying about my driving??? :) :lol:
What I'm saying is you actually DRIVE it at speed. I'm amazed how many people build trucks and then never use them to their potential.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:So, whatta saying about my driving??? :) :lol:
What I'm saying is you actually DRIVE it at speed. I'm amazed how many people build trucks and then never use them to their potential.

:D I was only kidding! I just can't help it... it's just WAY too much fun! What's funny, I'll occasionally make a decision that I'll take it nice and easy and the next thing I know, I'm blast'n down the road with my hair on fire!
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

toddz69 wrote:
SteveG wrote:I gotta say, Tom, you and the crew at Autofab really outdid yourselves on BajaF250. The end result simple and to the point yet so perfectly executed for its intended purpose. Congrats, you've got groupies!
Count me as a groupie on this one. I stumbled across a website some time ago that had your truck build on it and really liked it. I've gone back and re-read this thread now several times too. You've hit the nail on the head in my book: a nice older truck with tasteful, practical, and functional updates. A true sleeper. Nothing better in the desert in my opinion.

Todd Z.
Thanks Todd... I'm finding that there are many of us out there that like the sleeper look, I thought I was the only one out here that didn't want to show off! And I can say, the truck works pretty well out in the desert.
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

SC150 wrote: Is there a 3rd seat up front (looks like there might be a jump seat)? Do you have any pics of this set up if so?

I took a couple of pics of the center seat/console today.
Attachments
Center seat
Center seat
center seats 003-1.jpg (63.53 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Center console closed
Center console closed
center seats 002-1.jpg (72.58 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Center console with top open
Center console with top open
center seats 001-1.jpg (71.63 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
toddz69
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:52 am

Re: BajaF250

Post by toddz69 »

Very nice! What is the center console out of? Nice that it's been upholstered to match the seats.

Todd Z.
SC150
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:31 am
Bronco Info: 1989 5spd Cantilevered Bronco

Re: BajaF250

Post by SC150 »

Thanks for posting that. I looked around on ebay today and found something very similar for 70 bucks. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it this week.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Baja250, can you take a picture of your inner fender where you mounted the side yellow marker light? I need to cut my Autofab fenders to put in that side light and would like to see how you did yours if you don't mind.

Thanks.

Chris
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

BajaBronco13 wrote:Baja250, can you take a picture of your inner fender where you mounted the side yellow marker light? I need to cut my Autofab fenders to put in that side light and would like to see how you did yours if you don't mind.

Thanks.

Chris
Ok, I'll get that done this weekend when I get back into town. Actually, my fenders had a cutout and tabs moulded into the fenders themselves to mount the lights. I did have to clean them up a little but didn't spend too much time on them.
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

toddz69 wrote:Very nice! What is the center console out of? Nice that it's been upholstered to match the seats.

Todd Z.
It came out of a Dodge 2500, not sure what year... I got it from Hwy 67 truck wrecking yard. They had the seats and center console out before I saw the truck. I went and got the material for the seats when I had Robbie at MasterCraft build my seats, so that material isn't MasterCraft specific. I bought the extra to match the center console and seat. I'm also going to upholster the door panels with the same material when I get around to finishing the darn things.
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

SC150 wrote:Thanks for posting that. I looked around on ebay today and found something very similar for 70 bucks. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it this week.
I think you'll find that no matter what you put in there, and match to the rest of the interior, you'll be very happy with. I chose the dodge because it fit between my seats just perfectly.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: BajaF250

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

BajaF250 wrote:I think you'll find that no matter what you put in there, and match to the rest of the interior, you'll be very happy with. I chose the dodge because it fit between my seats just perfectly.
Yup.

2002-2004 center sections from the stupid doodies work well too. Got one going in my '74 crew cab - but it will have the stock buckets on either side of it in that truck.


As for the material - any auto upholstry shop can order the materials to match pretty much any seats you have or buy. The tweed and vinyl used on suspension seats isn't anything super specific and is easy to match.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:I think you'll find that no matter what you put in there, and match to the rest of the interior, you'll be very happy with. I chose the dodge because it fit between my seats just perfectly.
Yup.

2002-2004 center sections from the stupid doodies work well too. Got one going in my '74 crew cab - but it will have the stock buckets on either side of it in that truck.


As for the material - any auto upholstry shop can order the materials to match pretty much any seats you have or buy. The tweed and vinyl used on suspension seats isn't anything super specific and is easy to match.

Yeah, that's why I went the way I did. I didn't like the green selection MasterCraft had. It 's sometime tough to get "custom" work done through MasterCraft so but Robbie didn't have any problem taking my material and making the seats for me. I'm glad he did. You are absolutley right, nothing special... just make sure you get good material though. There are varying grades and quality. Go high end, it'll make a difference in the end and doesn't really cost that much more... negligible.
toddz69
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:52 am

Re: BajaF250

Post by toddz69 »

BajaF250 wrote:
toddz69 wrote:Very nice! What is the center console out of? Nice that it's been upholstered to match the seats.

Todd Z.
It came out of a Dodge 2500, not sure what year... I got it from Hwy 67 truck wrecking yard. They had the seats and center console out before I saw the truck. I went and got the material for the seats when I had Robbie at MasterCraft build my seats, so that material isn't MasterCraft specific. I bought the extra to match the center console and seat. I'm also going to upholster the door panels with the same material when I get around to finishing the darn things.
Thanks for the info on that - I thought it looked like something out of a Dodge. My dad has an '02 Dodge 2500 and it has one that's nearly identical. Going the extra mile with top quality and matching upholstery is nice!

Todd Z.
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

BajaBronco13 wrote:Baja250, can you take a picture of your inner fender where you mounted the side yellow marker light? I need to cut my Autofab fenders to put in that side light and would like to see how you did yours if you don't mind.

Thanks.

Chris
Hey Chris,
Here are a couple of pics on the side marker mount. Let me know if you want additional detail and I'll snap a few more pics...
Attachments
Front fender, inner view, side marker light
Front fender, inner view, side marker light
front fender 003.jpg (26.29 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
Front fender side marker light
Front fender side marker light
front fender 002.jpg (23.65 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Thanks man that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to attempt to cut out my side marker holes on my Autofab fenders as well.

Chris
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Chris,
Once you cut out the marker light access holes, you can just lay some fiberglass tabs to mount the lights. It'll work well, be easy and clean.
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Tony,
This is a shot of the core support structure and wheel wells. I used John's Bronco kit and modified it to fit my truck. I also added additional x-bracing and mounting points for all the "stuff" under the hood. The wheel well panels are stiff enough to use as mounting points as well. The only issue with mounting to the wheel well panels is you have to remove all mounted items before you can pull the panels.
Attachments
Front core support mount and inner wheel well.
Front core support mount and inner wheel well.
front end refresh 003.jpg (42.24 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

P/S steering

Post by BajaF250 »

Well, it's time to redo the power steering on the old truck. My p/s box has over 310,000 miles on it and it's starting to wander a little. Actually pretty good considering the use! So, I tore off the box and pump and sent them off to Tommy Lee for rebuild and AN conversion. He's sending me a remote resevoir and filter so I can start the plumbing. The box and pump rebuild should take 10 days or so.

I've also asked if they can quicken the steering up a little, but I'm pretty sure there aren't many options with those Delphi boxes. They'll take a look and let me know. If there isn't an option, I'm going to leave it alone. I don't want to add an external steering gear to quicken it up. Don't like the feel of them.
Attachments
P/S box and pump missing!
P/S box and pump missing!
front end refresh 012.jpg (50.23 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: BajaF250

Post by SteveG »

I'm pretty sure Howe makes a faster ratio gear box for our trucks (assuming yours uses the same one).
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: P/S steering

Post by philofab »

BajaF250 wrote:I've also asked if they can quicken the steering up a little, but I'm pretty sure there aren't many options with those Delphi boxes.
How many turns lock to lock is it? If anything has a faster ratio it would be the Lightning or Big Bertha. I will check the boxes when I get home.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Post Reply