65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon

johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Re: 65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon

Post by johncharlesb »

SteveG wrote:I've seen pictures of that thing. It's way cool. The wheel and tire package are perfect on it. I actually want a bit of a road race look, so that car is good inspiration.
Those Goodyears are on 15x8 wheels with likely neutral offset. With much more than 4" back spacing the rim will rub the upper A arm at the balljoint. That car has some fender work done to clear those tires as most SCCA Trans Am cars did. That car was originally an A sedan car with 15x7 steel wheels and skinny slicks, but recently rebuilt to Trans Am specs. The A sedan pedigree allows it into the prestigious vintage class.

The Goodyear Eagle/Blue Streaks are available with tread, but they are too dangerous for the street because they never get up to temperature. Avon makes a treaded reproduction of 15" race tires for the GT40 and Cobra that are supposed to have good road manners.

I am running Magnum 500s and BF nogrips-15x8 235/60 with 4" backspacing and 15x10 295/50 with 5 1/2" backspacing. I will probably switch over to Avons with 15x8 Minilites at some point.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I bet those valve seals are hard as a rock.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:I just got home from a trip to Carpinteria and back in the wagon. Man is this thing a trooper! Once again she ran like a champ again with zero problems or hesitation. Although, it did start to smoke in Santa Barbara traffic. Which, as everyone knows, BLOWS! It took me about an hour and a half to make all but the last 12 miles. It took me at least an hour to cover those final 12 miles!

How' she do up over San Marcos pass? I'll be she cruzed!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

BajaF250 wrote:How' she do up over San Marcos pass? I'll be she cruzed!
Piece of cake!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:I bet those valve seals are hard as a rock.
What valve seals!?

I pulled the valve cover to to "replace" the valve stem seals. Guess what? There weren't any! There were bits and pieces of rock-hard valve seal remnants throughout the head but not one even remotely complete seal on the valves themselves. So, I installed some new seals and drove it home last night. So far it seems better. Before, when the engine was hot it would let out a HUGE puff of oil smoke (on acceleration) after idling for a few minutes. Although I actually enjoy all the dirty looks for the Santa Barba greenies on the freeway when I drove to Carpinteria, it was getting bad enough that I didn't want to drive it. Hopefully this will appease the straight six gods and buy me some time.

On another note, I talked to a friend today that might have an Explorer 4.0L for sale soon....
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I've got the audio system just about done for the Falcon. My younger brother hooked me up with a slightly modified O.E. amp out of an Explorer with the JBL system. It's now wired for RCA inputs to run off an ipod and even has a subwoofer output and switched 12v output to turn on another amp (for the sub). The speakers and enclosures are leftovers from an old surround-sound system my boss was throwing out. I replaced two of the speakers with a pair I bought years ago for my old Camaro and never used. I was going to replace the others but they sound good enough as-is, so in the end I'll have zero dollars into the "system", which is exactly what I budgeted for it!

I originally wired into the stock radio knob on/off switch to turn the amp on. I also wired it so the radio dial light would turn on when the amp was on. When I was all done the switch took a dump... lame! Sooo, I put a somewhat hidden toggle switch under the dash.

The last thing I need to figure out is how to do FM radio. I'm thinking about a new nano ipod (they have an FM receiver) but I don't know how good the reception would be in the cab.
Attachments
Falcon Audio.jpg
Falcon Audio.jpg (229.79 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Once again I spent more time thinking about how I didn't want to fix something on this car than I did actually repairing it. I've been putting this off since I replaced the valve seals and found this boogered up bolt-hole in the head.

I've had this insert kit for several years now and finally had something to use it on. It took a total of about 25 minutes from start to finish including clean-up... cool little kit. I might have to throw it in the Bronco for long trips.
Attachments
The lock is not yet installed in this picture.
The lock is not yet installed in this picture.
VC Thread Repair.jpg (224.17 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
Save-A-thread Kit.jpg
Save-A-thread Kit.jpg (101.36 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Steve, these are cheap on Ebay. The unit could be hidden in the glove box or just left loose.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-Radio-AM-FM-Rece ... 20b4e5f0dc
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:Steve, these are cheap on Ebay. The unit could be hidden in the glove box or just left loose.

So that receives AM/FM in addition to HD signals? The price is right.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

SteveG wrote:
philofab wrote:Steve, these are cheap on Ebay. The unit could be hidden in the glove box or just left loose.

So that receives AM/FM in addition to HD signals? The price is right.
Mu understanding is that they do.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

The audio system in the Falcon has been upgraded dramatically. I was able to salvage the Pioneer deck with remote (score!) and an aftermarket power antenna from a car that was headed to the wrecking yard.

The deck install is done. I was able to mount it under that dash where I can reach it but put it far enough back (with the rear of the radio angled up) that you can't see it from the outside. And, it actually sounds pretty damn good! Especially considering I have zero dollars invested so far. I need to order an iPod adapter for the deck ($15) and I'm considering an $18 6.5" subwoofer (Amazon) to mount in the rear of the car. The left rear panel in the cargo area is missing so I already have to make one. Maybe I'll just put a speaker hole in the panel while I'm at it.

I still need to mount the antenna but that's going to require removing the fender and a bit more motivation.

I also want to install an overhead video monitor for the kids. We're hoping to drive the car to the Billetproof show in Antioch next year, so some additional entertainment would be nice to have. It's gonna be tough to come across one of those for free, though.
Attachments
Under Dash Radio1.jpg
Under Dash Radio1.jpg (64.94 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
What radio?
What radio?
Under Dash Radio2.jpg (103.37 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
BOOOM BOOOOM
BOOOM BOOOOM
Subwoofer Panel.jpg (105.78 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
High class!
High class!
IMG_0115.JPG (146.03 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I just got home from a 320 mile round trip in the Falcon... didn't miss a beat. I can't believe how well the thing runs! I took it over the Cuesta Grade four times this weekend and each time it ran like a champ and did at least 60 the whole way up with ease. All this while loaded with the family and all the crap required for two nights away from home.

A.G. to Lemoore, Lemoore to Fresno for a car show with my parents and two brothers and families, Fresno to Lemoore then home... whirlwind-style!

The rear end is whining on acceleration and at cruise speeds. I suppose I should pull the cover and check it out. It'll just be a shame to drain what appears to be the original gear oil (which is now a light tar!).
Sho nuff,
SteveG
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Way to go, Steve. :D My family had 3 early Ford wagons over 12 years.... first a '60 Falcon, 3 years later a '62, both with 144 ci engines and the 2 speed Fordomatic. That lasted 3 more years, then we picked up a '64 Deluxe with the 200 ci Super Pursuit engine and 2 speed. That old girl lasted 420,000 miles before I totalled it in an accident (not my fault). I reakon leave it alone and keep it well serviced, it will serve you well :mrgreen:
Joxracing
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford F-150, 6" deaver in front...soon. 351w, 33" BFG MudTerrains

Post by Joxracing »

Cool wagon steve, these old ford's make me miss my '63 monterey and '64 f-100.

I love the wagons though, thats next on my list.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Thanks, Sam. It's been a fun car.

Continuing with my ADD and bouncing around from project to project....

The passenger side of the front bench hasn't locked since I've owned the car. With a passenger in the front seat, it would move fore and aft at every stop and go. I pulled the bench tonight and as with most repairs on this, it was a piece of cake and required no parts. All I had to do was relocate the return spring for the latch and adjust the crossover cable for the release. I bolted it back in and it works perfectly.

The seat cushion will definitely need parts, though. Most of the "S" shaped springs under the driver are broken. A prior owner attempted a patch but did a terrible job of it. I might be headed to SLO tomorrow, so I might stop by an upholstery shop to see about parts and get an estimate to put a patch in the torn vinyl.
Attachments
This is what 46 years worth of ass will do to a seat.
This is what 46 years worth of ass will do to a seat.
IMG_0667-2.jpg (140.52 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Plumbers tape, holy cow!!!!!!!! That's pretty miserable!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Oh man, you have no idea! Whoever did all the "Patches" on this car was a genius at improvised repairs. Some of the stuff is hilarious. The funny thing is how little work it took to remove the patch work and mount stuff as intended.

One of my favorites is the water spigot handle, all-thread rod and I don't remember what else to hold the trans cooler lines. It mounts to the strut support at the top of the engine bay and extends down to the cooler lines... a thing of beauty! That one is still there and holding up well.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

My favorite example of repair genius on this car is hands down this water spigot handle and rod that attaches to the strut brace. I haven't gotten around to replacing the trans cooler lines, but I like this piece so much that I think I'll reuse it when I do.
Attachments
Faucet Repair2.jpg
Faucet Repair2.jpg (89.88 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

In other news, the gas tank is leaking. It had a patch on the bottom when I bought it. I didn't like it but it was sealing so I left it alone... time to fix it. Fortunately, the tank is super easy to remove. Of course this didn't happen until the tank was completely topped off.
Attachments
Leaky Leak.jpg
Leaky Leak.jpg (41.64 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

SteveG wrote:In other news, the gas tank is leaking. It had a patch on the bottom when I bought it. I didn't like it but it was sealing so I left it alone... time to fix it. Fortunately, the tank is super easy to remove. Of course this didn't happen until the tank was completely topped off.
I bought a replacement tank for our '59 from rockauto.com for less than $200. I've welded and brazed tanks before but I think I'd build a new one if a replacement isn't available.