White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

User avatar
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Posts: 4313
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 am
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies
Location: South O.C.
Contact:

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by robertcrav »

is the benefit of the 8125s over the 9100s the shorter length?
nubreed71
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by nubreed71 »

There's a few upsides as far as I see it. Larger uniballs in the shock eyes (5/8" vs. 1/2"), shock bodies are coated in zinc instead of nickel, which I think should provide a bit better corrosion resistance, and then in my case, I actually went to a 12" shock since I was strapping off the last 3" or so of travel since I really don't need more than about 16-17" travel with my rear setup. The plan is to have Cho build me a set of radius arms to add a bit more caster to my front end and improve the handling. I figured while I was at it, might as well swap these shocks on there and shorten the bump pad to gain some up travel/lower the ride height.
User avatar
BDKW1
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
Location: Not Socal

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by BDKW1 »

Having the coils wound opposite directions is a good thing. Your slider will rotate more, but it will put less stress on the springs.

Nickel holds up to abuse much better than zink..........
nubreed71
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by nubreed71 »

I guess I'll just have to see RE the corrosion resistance. The nickel plating on every set of 9100's that I've owned has developed light surface rust within less than 2 months of being on the truck.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I was going to say the same thing on the zinc. Have not been impressed at all with things I've had zinc coated now that it's hard to find someone to do cadmium in Commiefornia. Keep us posted as to how these shocks last vs. your nickel ones.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
Ghostwhite
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:58 pm
Bronco Info: 1986 F350, 1979 F150 Ranger, 1983 Ranger, 1997 F350

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by Ghostwhite »

Where are you at now Caster-wise and what are you going to?
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by VintageIronFab »

Aren't grade 5 bolts zinc plated?
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
nubreed71
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by nubreed71 »

Grade 8 bolts are gold zinc plated. Not sure on grade 5, but probably silver zinc coated.

Right now I'm around 4 degrees caster. Will likely go closer to 10-12 degrees. I know Cho usually likes to set up his beams/arms to run 12 degrees at ride height.
User avatar
BDKW1
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
Location: Not Socal

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by BDKW1 »

Hmmm, Bilstien must have changed platers yet again. Electroless nickel should hold up really well if done right. The parts must first be cleaned then copper plated to seal them and help with the adhesion of the nickel. Get it wrong and you get pin holes. The company that used to do Bilstiens parts was across the street from Summit steel in O'side. They did great work, just not the cheapest.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Any grade bolt can come in different finishes. The gold & silver are typically clear (silver) or yellow (gold) zinc.

As for the caster - 10-12 sounds good. I think Geoff at Giant goes as big as 16* on his stuff. Dirt only toys need a bit more caster than street/dirt mix like most of us have. At least this seems to be the common consensus.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
nubreed71
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by nubreed71 »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking RE the caster. It feels a little squirrely on the road with the steering done. The caster didn't change, but my guess is that the old, slower ratio of the stock steering was able to hide that. Now with the steering being way more precise, it wanders a bit. Adding that caster should help I'm thinking.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

yup!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by VintageIronFab »

well as you decrease your ride height your caster should increase.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
nubreed71
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by nubreed71 »

Not sure what it's at right now, but the front needs to come back up as the truck sits right now. I only put 1/2" of preload on it to start. Sounds like I need to add another inch or so. Gonna fiddle with it tonight. Once I get the ride height dialed back in, will check caster again.
nubreed71
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by nubreed71 »

GIVE ME MORE PRELOAD!!!! Or just slap a Kibbe sticker on it and call it good...lol.

Image
dtbback
Posts: 1677
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:45 am
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by dtbback »

Little bit more.
cs_drums
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by cs_drums »

I say through some taller shackles on back and call it done.
nubreed71
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by nubreed71 »

Not a bad call at all. I'll probably crank a lil more pre-load on there just to get it close to level, and address the rest when I revise the rear springs.
nubreed71
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by nubreed71 »

Cranked an inch of preload on there, much happier with the ride height.

Image

Image
dtbback
Posts: 1677
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:45 am
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: White 1994 F-150 Sleeper Build

Post by dtbback »

Looks great!
Post Reply