65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
you totally scored! i am a nomad guy myself but who the hell can afford one of those?! falcons are very cool and never get the credit they deserve. duplicolor makes a "suede" paint that is pre-mixed so all you have to do is spray it, i think a baby blue suede would be so f'n cool! glad i could spend some of your hard earned money for ya buddy!
Ollie Penchansky
Penchansky Brothers Racing.
Penchansky Brothers Racing.
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
Everyone makes a flat/suede paint now or at least a flattener to add to make it look like that. Be aware that you have to be a fairly decent painter to spray the stuff though... you can't polish or rub it out to cover mistakes.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
You mind if I ask what you got it for Steve? I'm really getting the idea of that 65 Nova wagon back in my head after seeing this...
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
Ha! Thanks for the help! Every time I work on it and drive it I feel even better about buying it. The funny thing is that I've never really liked falcons or even really looked at the falcon wagons until recently. I think it's going to be a great daily driver. I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it.PBR wrote:you totally scored! i am a nomad guy myself but who the hell can afford one of those?! falcons are very cool and never get the credit they deserve. duplicolor makes a "suede" paint that is pre-mixed so all you have to do is spray it, i think a baby blue suede would be so f'n cool! glad i could spend some of your hard earned money for ya buddy!
My wife would probably like the baby blue idea, but I'd like to do something at least slightly masculine.... I still don't know what I'll do about paint. That's HIGH on my wife's priority, but somewhat low on mine.
Philo, I'll probably do all the prep work and have my dad spray it. He's not a pro but has a fair amount of paint work under his belt.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
$2500. It's more than I wanted to spend on it, but in the end it was for the best. Everything else I looked at was in really rough shape and most had serious rust damage. What's funny is compared to the other people I talked to, this seller described this car as being in worse shape (mechanically) than the others. I expected it to need a ton of brake work and even to have to rebuild the engine. In the end, not only is the body in great condition, it runs, drives and brakes great. It was a great buying experience before and after the fact.ChaseTruck754 wrote:You mind if I ask what you got it for Steve? I'm really getting the idea of that 65 Nova wagon back in my head after seeing this...
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- johncharlesb
- Posts: 510
- Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
- Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
$2500 is a great price considering the body and frame alone. Rust free saves you countless hour of labor. The drivetrain being sound is a sweet bonus.
My vote on paint would be retro two tone such as a red/white. Nothing against blue, but you already have the blue bronco. Steel 17" wheels with '65 galaxie dog dish caps get my vote too.
Congrats on a nice find.
John
My vote on paint would be retro two tone such as a red/white. Nothing against blue, but you already have the blue bronco. Steel 17" wheels with '65 galaxie dog dish caps get my vote too.
Congrats on a nice find.
John
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
Yeah - $2500 is a GREAT price for a rust free setup that you can get in and drive around after only slight tinkering.
I've found that sellers who are brutally honest and tell you every little thing wrong with the car are the best. Often they over evaluate the amount of "damage" and things aren't as bad as they thing.
Again - nice score!
I've found that sellers who are brutally honest and tell you every little thing wrong with the car are the best. Often they over evaluate the amount of "damage" and things aren't as bad as they thing.
Again - nice score!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
I agree. It was a good deal. It's even got good tires... all matching and almost new! The date code on the sidewall says they were made in August of 2006. We checked the front end yesterday and everything is tight. It sounds like it's got a bad bearing in the rear. I'll tear into it soon.ChaseTruck754 wrote:Yeah - $2500 is a GREAT price for a rust free setup that you can get in and drive around after only slight tinkering.
I've found that sellers who are brutally honest and tell you every little thing wrong with the car are the best. Often they over evaluate the amount of "damage" and things aren't as bad as they thing.
Again - nice score!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
Ollie, you have me considering the baby blue. I'm thinking with a glossy white roof, dumped and these wheels. I'm not sure what to do with the "wood" trim, though.
- Attachments
-
- AR T-Thrust D.jpg (144.8 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
oh yeah!!!!!
- Nick
- Founder
- Posts: 3973
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
- Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
- Location: La Habra Ca.
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
Quit posting on Steve's thread, and get those shocks mounted!yikes wrote:oh yeah!!!!!
Steve, those rims would look great. I say you need to keep the wood trim. Look into one of those vehicle wrap places. I'm sure they would be able to do a wood grain wrap for the trim pieces.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
Haha! Geeeez Nick! In the rain?! My name aint Scott.Nick wrote:Quit posting on Steve's thread, and get those shocks mounted!yikes wrote:oh yeah!!!!!
- Andy Jones
- Posts: 2209
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 pm
- Bronco Info: In the Works!
- Location: Canyon Lake,ca
- Contact:
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: 1965 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
SteveG wrote:Ollie, you have me considering the baby blue. I'm thinking with a glossy white roof, dumped and these wheels. I'm not sure what to do with the "wood" trim, though.
I'm picturing a satin finish metallic light grey/blue with a slight lean towards teal. I've seen a car with it before and can picture it in my head, but can't find anything close searching google. Here's the best I could find on short notice
Something like the "Ice Blue" (2nd row - 4th from right) here with just a hint of the "teal" (3rd row far right) in it.

I think that with the roof and center strip of the side in gloss silver (maybe white) would be sweet. Do the raised lip around the center/side strip thing in a charcoal/gun metal grey metallic (do it to match the wheels if you get them) and it would set the thing off!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Re: 65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
great thread on suede trucks:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... =baby+blue
like i said, baby blue suede with a white top, of the chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... =baby+blue
like i said, baby blue suede with a white top, of the chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Attachments
-
- PickupBlu 001.jpg (121.1 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
-
- PickupBlu 005.jpg (113.68 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
Ollie Penchansky
Penchansky Brothers Racing.
Penchansky Brothers Racing.
Re: 65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
- Attachments
-
- fordflame5wz.jpg (132.79 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
Ollie Penchansky
Penchansky Brothers Racing.
Penchansky Brothers Racing.
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: 65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
I vote you ignore what other people suggest and paint it a color you like. Your the one that has to look at it everyday.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: 65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
I really do think the baby blue would look good. Especially with a road-race inspired wheel and tire package. I think it would be a good clashing of different styles.
I was reading a web page on cross-drilling brake drums today. Now that the drum brakes work great I'm actually kind of excited about using old-school tricks to make them even better.
Ollie, you should read this: http://www.tffn.net/drilldrum.html
Another: http://www.chtopping.com/CustomRod4/
The more I read into it the more I like the idea. I also like the idea of not having to spend money on upgrading to discs.
I was reading a web page on cross-drilling brake drums today. Now that the drum brakes work great I'm actually kind of excited about using old-school tricks to make them even better.
Ollie, you should read this: http://www.tffn.net/drilldrum.html
Another: http://www.chtopping.com/CustomRod4/
The more I read into it the more I like the idea. I also like the idea of not having to spend money on upgrading to discs.
Oh I won't paint it a color I don't like. Suggestions are good, though. They make me consider colors I otherwise might not have thought of.philofab wrote:I vote you ignore what other people suggest and paint it a color you like. Your the one that has to look at it everyday.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: 65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
My wife is pushing for a similar color.ChaseTruck754 wrote:I'm picturing a satin finish metallic light grey/blue with a slight lean towards teal.... Do the raised lip around the center/side strip thing in a charcoal/gun metal grey metallic (do it to match the wheels if you get them) and it would set the thing off!
Hmmm... painting the molding to match the charcoal wheel color might be a good idea.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: 65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon
A split mc is still a must incase you loose a line or wheel cylinder. Drum brake technology was coming along nicely when disc brakes became popular. Drilling your backing plates and adding a scoop helps a lot with fade.SteveG wrote:I really do think the baby blue would look good. Especially with a road-race inspired wheel and tire package. I think it would be a good clashing of different styles.
I was reading a web page on cross-drilling brake drums today. Now that the drum brakes work great I'm actually kind of excited about using old-school tricks to make them even better.
Ollie, you should read this: http://www.tffn.net/drilldrum.html
Another: http://www.chtopping.com/CustomRod4/
The more I read into it the more I like the idea. I also like the idea of not having to spend money on upgrading to discs.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
