95 F150 - Project Marilyn

VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by VintageIronFab »

Thanks- I'd love to but I've got to stay working on this truck to get it up and running again!
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
User avatar
Tchajagos
Posts: 2124
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:07 am
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs
Location: Murrieta

95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by Tchajagos »

VintageIronFab wrote:Swinger mockup is well underway!! Huge Thank you to Yikes and RMC for really helping out the process!
Just putting this out there. A lot of guys try to line up the swingers with the axle pivot bolt to minimize bump steer. The issue is that the axle doesn't actually pivot on that line. If you were to draw a line from where the radius arm mount on the frame through the axle pivots that is the line your suspension pivots on. Notice the pitman arm is close to lined up with this line. Not many people realize this and can't figure out why they still have bump steer when their steering is lined up with their beams. I'm sure it doesn't effect like 98% of people. Just a thought.

Image
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by VintageIronFab »

I see what you're saying but I'm not all together sure what you do to change that being that there are serious packaging concerns-- how does mine look? I can say that the input steering shaft doesn't move in the slightest as it goes through the travel and the toe change was about a 1/4" from what I could tell. I do know that the steering is pretty quick it's about 1 1/8th turns to the left from center and the same going to the right.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
User avatar
Tchajagos
Posts: 2124
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:07 am
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs
Location: Murrieta

95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by Tchajagos »

It shouldn't be too bad with your set up. Mostly just putting it out there for people to think about. You might find that the passenger side turns in a little less or even negative compared to the driver side. I don't think it's going to effect your truck any. That's interesting about the quicker turning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
funinthesun95
Posts: 1701
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:06 pm
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by funinthesun95 »

you can use the swingers to change your ratio vs changing the ratio in your steering box.

sounds like you have built in quicker steering in swingers, unless the new sag box has a different ratio in it?
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by VintageIronFab »

I honestly am not sure-- I bought the swinger and the pitman arm -- I remade a pitman arm for the Saginaw since it was different than the stock Ford box. The econoline box is either 4.25 or 4.50 lock to lock. I don't have access to my bronco to see if it's 2 turns either direction when everything is hooked up. Basically Yikes and I have the same steering setup - he seems to drive his Bronco everywhere so I will see if I like it after all. Before I did this swinger conversion I really was clueless on what all was involved but now I have a much better understanding of placement and things like arc ratios.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
User avatar
Wrightracing.net
Posts: 2235
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.
Location: San Diego
Contact:

95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Are you running a steering quickener, I have a Howe Racing heavy duty unit 2:1 for my Bronco
And I plan to do a similar steering to yours.

Image
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by VintageIronFab »

I couldn't imagine wanting quicker than it is now honestly. Mine is stock from the lower steering shaft on up. Here's the pitman dimensions-- the swinger is the same to a 1/16"
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (957.32 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by VintageIronFab »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (786.1 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
Needing the full-race steering look of course you gotta rock a QR steering wheel hub :-) Not wanting to weld the adapter I cut the center out of a JY wheel and turned it down to 7/8" -- the splined shaft and hub from Nexgen is a 7/8" version vs the typical 3/4". Just makes the whole assembly bolt on vs. weld on and allows all the replacement steering columns I need if I wear one out.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (858.17 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (689.06 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

cool trick on the quick release!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by VintageIronFab »

Thx- it would prob work on about any wheel I would guess!
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
User avatar
zachwabbit
Posts: 800
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:48 pm
Bronco Info: '93 F150 4x4, ‘23 Bronco 2dr
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by zachwabbit »

That Sparco wheel looks suuuhwweeeeet
Potato.
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by VintageIronFab »

Got the drivers side glass how I liked it. Hex bolt are just for mockup :-)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (514.32 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (581.19 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by VintageIronFab »

Some pics of the bumper I've been working on with a rolled front and a radiused 40" LED light bar. Building the frame horn style has been really tough with the radius. Hopefully it looks cool :-)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (647.57 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (681.99 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by VintageIronFab »

Anyone want to comment on which style end they like the best-- I marked the options A, B or C.....
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (505.85 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (845.78 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (759.22 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by yikes »

A+ an inch or so if you want to keep the fenders in good shape. Brush and fiberglass don't play well, which is why I built mine directly in front of them. Just have to scrape some green off from time to time.
User avatar
RyanDS650X
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 am
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact:

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by RyanDS650X »

"A" gets my vote and Brian makes a good point.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
biggiek
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:27 pm
Bronco Info: 92 Ford Bronco

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by biggiek »

Are you running a bolt through the frame horns to mount? I just picked up one from a friend and he welded it to them... yet I would prefer to bolt it to the horn.
biggiek
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:27 pm
Bronco Info: 92 Ford Bronco

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by biggiek »

Also looks great!
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 95 F150 - Project Marilyn

Post by VintageIronFab »

Well A is by FAR the easiest method so I'll prob go that route.

As far as the mounts - yes they are thru bolted but I may change that to some kind of a doubler plate so that 4 bolts hold it in place -2 on each side. If you look at Nubreeds trucks - that mount is vastly easier and faster to build vs what I did and quite frankly really strong. I would say my method is stronger but if his style is damaged its so much faster to fix-- mine gets damaged I'm building all new I would guess :-)
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Post Reply