OG 94 Explorer Build

User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Travisfab »

Posting a video on this site is hopeless
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by tcm glx »

Looks like you are having a blast with it!! Cant wait to see it on D44 setup.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Travisfab »

It is a lot of fun! I wish I got some action shots, next time.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Travisfab »

Some randoms
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Travisfab »

The snowball continues

Image

Image
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Sweet!
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Rmc »

Heck ya! Handle it man!
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Travisfab »

Here's another part for the pile, 4.88 gears are showing up next. I'm getting close to throwing all this stuff on.
Image
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Travisfab »

Latest update
Image
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Travisfab »

Underwhelming update

Fresh A4LD, new torque converter, new rear main, all going in as soon as it's not 140 degrees out!

Image
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Travisfab »

Finally back on the road!
Image


Does anyone have any ideas on how to tighten up the extremely sloppy steering? I have probably an 1/8 of a rotation of play in both directions.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Travisfab »

After a little internet research and a lunch break fix, my steering is worlds better. I just tightened the little set screw on top of the box a half turn and it made such a huge difference. I cant believe I didnt do this sooner. I think that coming from driving a BMW really made me notice it!
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Steering slop on the 90's Fords always blows my mind. I had no clue it could be that quick/easy of a fix. I came from a truck without power steering when I got my '91 Exploder and it was crazy to feel the difference from one to the other.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Travisfab »

Broncos have the same box in case anyone is having the same issue.
nubreed71
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by nubreed71 »

Travis, any chance you could post a pic of said set screw? I too would love to tighten things up a bit on mine.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Travisfab »

You can see it nice and clearly in this picture right on top of the red cap. Loosen the nut, tighten the screw (bolt) and then tighten the nut. Just make sure to do no more than a 1/4 turn before feeling it out.
Image
nubreed71
Posts: 1531
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by nubreed71 »

Awesome. Thanks for the tutorial!
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by Travisfab »

So the Explorer is down for a few quick upgrades right now.

- New rear upper shock mount/cross member to get more up travel
- New shorter rear (poly) bump stomps
- 1 Rear shock is getting a new reservoir hose
- New powdercoat on the front springs
- Rubber washers/spacers in the shock mounts to reduce clatter
- Switching to FK uniballs on all the shocks
- Better air filter mount
- New front reservoir mounts
- New Radiator
- New Dynomax muffler
- High flow throttle body
- Misc weld on zip tie tabs to clean things up

I'm very close to doing the Dana 44/full size rear end swap. I finally have all of the parts I need and I'm just waiting on my gear guy (and myself) to have some free time. I'm considering updating the front end since the new front end will be about 80" wide and on 35's. The old school look has really grown on me, but I have really been feeling the urge to update it. Here's my ideas:

Sport Trac Image 97-03 F150 conversion - For some reason this looks ok to me. I am picturing it with Lightning headlights and corners and a stock chrome grille. Can't say I've ever seen one that way. Image Image Something totally custom Image
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

For some reason I dig the F-150 clip on these things.

I also think the Baker fenders that Glassworks did look awesome, but running those is probably blashemy based on who you work for/used to work for.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
93Broncobuff
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:18 pm
Bronco Info: 1993, 351w, K&N,4" Bilstein 5100 lift, procomp coils, SSFAB Beams, Giant R/A's
Location: Huntington Beach, California

Re: OG 94 Explorer Build

Post by 93Broncobuff »

sport trac is tits!
Post Reply