Page 1 of 1
Drive parts, what brands?
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:25 pm
by Dust
Just Curiosity

What holds up the best, runs the smoothest, quietest, takes abuse etc...
Ring and Pinion:
Bearings:
Axle shafts:
U-joints:
Housings:
Re: Drive parts, what brands?
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:29 pm
by philofab
Dust wrote:Just Curiosity

What holds up the best, runs the smoothest, quietest, takes abuse etc...
Ring and Pinion:
Bearings:
Axle shafts:
U-joints:
Housings:
U-joints: Get the spicer or Neapco without the zerk. The constant loading and unloading causes u-joints to snap where the zerk goes in.
Bearings: I've had bad luck with everything except Timken
Shafts: Any aftermarket seems to be great. Currie, moser, dutchman, ect.
Housings: Best bang for the buck is Ruff stuff.
Bearing retainers: The only ones that don't deform are Currie 1/4 thick ones. Don't use the drop in style, I bent a set like a pretzel in two weeks!
Re: Drive parts, what brands?
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:00 pm
by 300
As far as ring and pinions, I have used both Richmond and Sierra Gear. Sierra is sold by West Coast Differential and I am sure others and is a little cheaper than Richmond, but appears to be as reliable. My gear shop confirms this. We have probably used one or two a year for the last ten years, most taken out by broken spider gears.
Re: Drive parts, what brands?
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:07 pm
by Prerunbronc
Shafts I use currie
Gears I use motive
Re: Drive parts, what brands?
Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:57 am
by Dust
R&P: Spicer, then everything else with the Yukon being a noisy last.
U-joints: Spicer, then everything else.
Shafts: I have a supply of Yukon CrMo and have had no failures but...
B-joints: Blue Top Spicer, made by?
Bearings: Timkin
Oil: Amsoil
Housings... On my stuff Dana and Ford.
Re: Drive parts, what brands?
Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:26 pm
by Rednek Renegade
gears: I only use ford racing & yukon....no luck with richmond or genuine gear