Page 1 of 2

coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:48 am
by hobbyturnedobsession
I see that you guys have the nice coil buckets with the shock tower on them. Can someone guide me to find them? The only place I know that would build them is Autofab and they wanted 900 for them... Thats some serious cash.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:55 am
by tcm glx
There was a set of custom built ones on san diego craigslist for 225 last week.

Not a whole lot of companies still making these, and for 900, you could pick up Solos engine cage for coilovers.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:57 am
by hobbyturnedobsession
thats what I thought. I have deaver coils and I like em. Plus, I like the coil setup. Kinda fun for me. Thanks I'll take a look. I know Solo will modify the bucket but Idk if I want to go that rout.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:00 pm
by Polarcub
For the dollars spent unless you can find a used set your better off going coilover. Pretty much your stuck with used or having a set built the auto fab stuff is good if you really want to stay with coils though.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:19 pm
by convoy
Did you call Solo? Yes they offer the cage, but they may offer a Coil Bucket option. Also McNeil Offroad might still make these?? not sure though, but they used too...

O wait look a set of Fabtech Dual shock coil bucket on ebay right now for $299.00. It's actaully a good set up since it's using the stock coil bucket.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0159539642

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:42 pm
by SteveG
I would stay away from Mcneil buckets. They look like something that should be on an old piece of farm equipment... and not good equipment.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:50 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
I was lookin at those coil buckets from fab tec. They look like the stock ones only one shock side is cut off for the hoop and it has a bend for the attachment to the bottom of the frame. It'd be a good idea to possibly copy. As for mcneil, I've heard they arent really good for anything. A guy i was talking to from kartek said the only good fab guy they had there left a while back.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:30 pm
by ChaseTruck754
For what they are the fabtech buckets aren't bad. I had them on my ranger a long while back and will be making something similar for my '74 F-100 here in a little bit.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:43 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
I just cant seem to find how everyone finds them so quickly ive been looking for them for a while. Is there any offroad swap meets coming up? I might be able to find some there.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:53 pm
by Polarcub
For alot of us it was being in the right place at the right time with cash in hand. I dont think there are any real swap meets coming up until october or so. Keep an eye on RDC, Dezert rangers, even craigs list. I lucked into my set when Nick decided to sell his. as an aside and not a thread stealer I may be selling mine in the next 6-8 months. I want to go coilover so I am trying to put together the money to get it done. If you havent found what your looking for it may be an option.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:04 pm
by tcm glx

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:10 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
Thank you! thats a goood price. I might have to go check those out.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:22 pm
by philofab
Lol, I bought my buckets off of DramaRangers within 45 minutes of them being posted. You gotta be at the top of your game!

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:31 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
no joke lol. philo, did you build a shock hoop or did you run your shock to the bucket?

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:55 pm
by philofab
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:no joke lol. philo, did you build a shock hoop or did you run your shock to the bucket?
My buckets have a mount for a 10" shock behind the coil. For now I just have a single SAW 2.5 for each front wheel. I plan on adding a 14" shock in front of the bucket with a hoop, but I have not done it yet. I've got to relocate a couple things and do a super secret modification to the shocks I got from SteveG first.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:06 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
hey tcm thanks a bunch, i made a deal with that guy on craigslist, I'm goin sometime this week to go pick them up. you guys werent kidding, they do go quick.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:01 pm
by Polarcub
Congrats on the find

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:26 pm
by tcm glx
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:hey tcm thanks a bunch, i made a deal with that guy on craigslist, I'm goin sometime this week to go pick them up. you guys werent kidding, they do go quick.

Awesome... the ad says coils included, not sure what they are, but looks like it was a great find!
Tony

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:49 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
he sold the coils but i already have the deaver 5.5 coils so he sold me the buckets for dirt cheap. they look really beefy.

Re: coil buckets

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:14 pm
by Nick
Nice score! Did he know what length shocks they were made for?