Page 1 of 2
Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:04 am
by TrevorPiggott
Right now I'm researching cut and turned and lengthened TTB's and am looking at who does them. So I'm curious, if you run cut and turned and/or lengthened beams, who did the work on them?
Thanks ahead of time
Trevor Piggott
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:06 am
by tcm glx
TrevorPiggott wrote:Right now I'm researching cut and turned and lengthened TTB's and am looking at who does them. So I'm curious, if you run cut and turned and/or lengthened beams, who did the work on them?
Thanks ahead of time
Trevor Piggott
Cut and Turn for me, from Camburg, and very pleased with them! Standard width.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:14 am
by SteveG
Autofab has done several sets for me. I always chose to run reinforced housings as well. There are a few companies that do them (well). My suggestion is to figure out where you're going to get the rest of the components from and buy the housings from the same fabricator.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:41 am
by philofab
Solo, Giant, Southwest Performance all do good work.
I'm not sure who did mine... they supposedly came off a class 8 or class 3. I then had Yikes! add a truss and then I did a couple things to them.
I guess my beams are sluts.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:46 am
by tcm glx
philofab wrote:
I guess my beams are sluts.
"todo como su dueño" ha ha ha, j/K Chris!
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:51 am
by Polarcub
Camburg did mine as well standard width. Not sure of wher eyou are located but there are several shops that do them. Camburg,autofab,solo,giant, and several otehrs. On the board there are a few folks that do them as well. Mark Kieffer (sp) with southwest performance does them as well. There was a set lengthened for sale in the classifieds not sure if they sold or not.
To piggyback on what steve said I would recomend using the same shop/manufacturer for all componenets as they all have slight differences and you may have unforseen issues mixing and matching. In my case I have camburg beams and radius arms with an older autofab bucket/hoop. I have aslight misalignment between the bucket and the beam causing my springs to be pushed forward on the bottom slightly. While I am fixing this it is just an example of how things may not be "just right" when mixing and matching.
Also if your not in the socal/arizona areas the cost of shipping parts is also a consideration. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:55 am
by Nick
Mine are stock width, done by Southwest performance.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:09 am
by tcm glx
Nick wrote:Mine are stock width, done by Southwest performance.
Post up some pics Nick..... the ones Keifer built you are downright gorgeous!
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:21 am
by bajascott
i did mine and some others.
solo or autofab or southwest would be the companies i would suggest if you have the coin.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:31 am
by philofab
tcm glx wrote:"todo como su dueño" ha ha ha, j/K Chris!
Sir, I'll have you know I am a high priced whore.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:46 am
by tcm glx
philofab wrote:tcm glx wrote:"todo como su dueño" ha ha ha, j/K Chris!
Sir, I'll have you know I am a high priced whore.
Ha ha ha!
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:10 pm
by BDKW1
I do My own.........
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:18 pm
by PaulW
Just about any fab shop in So Cal do them. And the Broncos are very popular so the shops have plenty of experience. Get quotes for the best price and timing. Pretty basic mod. Good ones have Radius arms plated and welded to the modified beams. Always use Hiems at all the pivots. Uniballs at the beam pivots are also necessary eventually.
My beams/radius arms/towers were built by Jewremy at Spirit.
GLen at Complete Fab does very nice front end.
PW
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:58 pm
by baja-chris
BTW, Glen at Complete Fab has a customer with a set of Camburg cut and turned beams for sale for $200. They are just sitting there in the way along with Paul W's transfer case also for sale.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:30 pm
by SteveG
PaulW wrote:Good ones have Radius arms plated and welded to the modified beams.
I don't think that comment is necessarily accurate. I understand the merits and why it's done but don't agree that it's necessary on every application. Adding a third mounting point to the radius arm/beam attachment (instead of welding) makes the assembly very rigid and eliminates issues from the beam/arm wanting to rotate on the bolts on top of and below the beam. Autofab and Southwest performance currently do this with great results. Spirit used to do this as well. The BFG is a great example of this... tens of thousands of miles with two-piece beam/radius arm assemblies.
In addition to not being individually serviceable, welded radius arm/beam assemblies have to be jigged on the truck and aren't easily installed by do-it-yourselfers.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:58 pm
by TrevorPiggott
Thank you to everyone who has replied and given input! Really opened my eyes to more fabricators.
Baja-chris, thank you for letting me know about that! I will probably be calling Glen tomorrow.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:12 am
by PaulW
Steve, you are corrrect. We tend to lean to over kill because beating hard is fun. Elimination of connections is always more reliable and we pay extra for that.
I mention the welded assembly for the hardest usage. Some of the lift kit arms look pretty light duty.
PW
============
SteveG wrote:PaulW wrote:Good ones have Radius arms plated and welded to the modified beams.
I don't think that comment is necessarily accurate. I understand the merits and why it's done but don't agree that it's necessary on every application. Adding a third mounting point to the radius arm/beam attachment (instead of welding) makes the assembly very rigid and eliminates issues from the beam/arm wanting to rotate on the bolts on top of and below the beam. Autofab and Southwest performance currently do this with great results. Spirit used to do this as well. The BFG is a great example of this... tens of thousands of miles with two-piece beam/radius arm assemblies.
In addition to not being individually serviceable, welded radius arm/beam assemblies have to be jigged on the truck and aren't easily installed by do-it-yourselfers.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:16 am
by SteveG
PaulW wrote:Some of the lift kit arms look pretty light duty.
Agreed. A lot of them are downright scary.
Especially where they attach to the beam.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:01 am
by philofab
SteveG wrote:Agreed. A lot of them are downright scary. Especially where they attach to the beam.
What, .120 mild plate doesn't inspire your confidence? If you add to much material it's gets very expensive to ship from China.
Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:10 pm
by Prerunbronc
I do my own cut and turn and radius arms.
