Page 1 of 1
Spring perch angle
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:26 am
by kjacko619
i have a raw currie prerunner rearend (no tabs/perches). How do know when i have the angle/placement correct,after reading most of the threads on here, i know its critical too prevent viabration. Thanks for your help.
Re: Spring perch angle
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:58 am
by BDKW1
kjacko619 wrote:i have a raw currie prerunner rearend (no tabs/perches). How do know when i have the angle/placement correct,after reading most of the threads on here, i know its critical too prevent viabration. Thanks for your help.
Which driveshaft do you have? Cardin joint or no?
Re: Spring perch angle
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:15 am
by kjacko619
not sure its a stock 88 fsb
Re: Spring perch angle
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:39 am
by BDKW1
OK, so you still have the cardin joint. Assemble the pads, axle and center it with the pinion facing strait forward. U-bolts should be snug but not tight. Jack up the rear till your off the jack stands on the frame. Take the stands and put them under the axle and lower the axle on to them. This will put the springs at ride height. Take a block of wood and put it under the pinion with the floor jack. Jack the pinion up till it's in line with the D-shaft. Tack the plates real well.
Now at this point some people would be tempted to weld it up and call it good.
What you should really do is put the frame back on the stands and take the leafs apart and cycle it to make sure your D-shaft isn't going to bind or be to short on droop and your shocks are all good.
Re: Spring perch angle
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:44 am
by kjacko619
when i take leaf apart do i use a spacer block? i only use the longest leaf rite, so the spacer makes up for the ones not used????
Re: Spring perch angle
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:46 am
by BDKW1
Yup, spacer block is needed for spring over set-up's.
Re: Spring perch angle
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:02 pm
by kjacko619
thanks im gonna give it a go
Re: Spring perch angle
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:45 am
by hobbyturnedobsession
I've got a question, I took my truck to the shop last week because I snapped the driveline (long story) and figured since it was there they could fix the pinion angle by rotating and replacing the perches. They wouldnt do it because of liability issues. Something about messing up a seal. Have any of you guys heard of this?
Re: Spring perch angle
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:12 am
by philofab
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I've got a question, I took my truck to the shop last week because I snapped the driveline (long story) and figured since it was there they could fix the pinion angle by rotating and replacing the perches. They wouldnt do it because of liability issues. Something about messing up a seal. Have any of you guys heard of this?
Nope, I do it all the time for customers. Hot rods, rock crawlers, prerunners, whatever.
The only seal that could be damages in the wheel bearing seal. Unlikely, unless you get the rear end way to hot.
Re: Spring perch angle
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:15 am
by hobbyturnedobsession
ok thanks, I thought so. I figured if worst came to worst wrap cold rags near the perches when i weld the new ones on.
Re: Spring perch angle
Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:16 am
by philofab
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:ok thanks, I thought so. I figured if worst came to worst wrap cold rags near the perches when i weld the new ones on.
If you get it hot enough to ruin a seal then the tube will warp. Don't get it that hot.