Help!!! SWP Buckets and shocks

AZJD
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Bauer

Post by AZJD »

I got this from a GFB guy here and the shocks are 2.5x14, does this look like a long enough coil over?? It only hangs about 10" below the frame rail? They I figure there is no droop if I go with what I have? Or is the tab on the beam need to be tall? I'm confused!! Jason
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (903.31 KiB) Viewed 770 times
AZJD

Re: Help!!! SWP Buckets and shocks

Post by AZJD »

Correction these are 12" Coilovers. Do these buckets call for 14"??? Help!!!!
PaleRider
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco with aftermarket lift, BroncoAir bumpers

Post by PaleRider »

I've installed 14inch Fox coil overs in my SWP Buckets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AZJD

Post by AZJD »

The person I got them from says it calls for 12". Have a fab buddy looking at them now who says 12s are going to be short and will have no droop.
AZJD

Post by AZJD »

PaleRider wrote:I've installed 14inch Fox coil overs in my SWP Buckets.

Out of curiosity what made you go with 14"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

SWP uses a short body 14" fox or bilstein shock. 12's can fit but may limit travel vs the 14 inch stroke.
AZJD

Post by AZJD »

I'm guessing this is where my 2" is....am i on the right track thinking that fox or Bilstein would work in a 12" but not sway away??
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (617.3 KiB) Viewed 733 times
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

No. Fox and Bilstein make a 14" shock in a 12" can. You can get additional length by changing out your rod end on the bottom for additional length but it will not give you additional travel.
DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Post by DMbronco »

I run a 14" Bilstein shortbody with mine.

If you're looking for that length shock, my buddy Taylor just pulled a pair off his f150, and they are valved for bronco and have coils springs and AGM sliders.

They'll be in great shape because his rig has been a pavement princess since he put em on and he keeps his truck (too) clean haha!

PM him at NuBreed71- he is a good dude.
nubreed71
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Post by nubreed71 »

Just like Bray mentioned, I've got a set of 12" stroke Bilstein 8125 coilovers that I was running with my SWP buckets that I'm going to be listing for sale this week. They've got the AGM sliders, and I also have some 500lb lower Hyperco coils as well. The measurements on the shocks are 21.5" compressed and 33.5" extended.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested!
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

damon1272 wrote:No. Fox and Bilstein make a 14" shock in a 12" can. You can get additional length by changing out your rod end on the bottom for additional length but it will not give you additional travel.
Does this mean that the 14" rod in a 12" body won't go to full compression?
AZJD

Post by AZJD »

From all the info I got today from what I understand is 12" will "work" HOWEVER it not the optimal size and 14s cycle the travel much better. There are some super smart people on here that explained it very well to me on the phone!!!
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

So to touch on this 14" shaft with a 12" body deal I would try to avoid it personally. Run a 14" package. The reason I say this is because after extensive conversations with fox and design guys in order to run the 14" shaft in the 12" body the remove more than half of the shaft support inside there for if you run any valving you risk binding and bending shafts at full droop. I do not know what Bilstein has done on the inside. Many guys have had great results but this is what was explained to me by one of my best friends that was the Fox shock guru.
AZJD

Post by AZJD »

hollandermotorsports wrote:So to touch on this 14" shaft with a 12" body deal I would try to avoid it personally. Run a 14" package. The reason I say this is because after extensive conversations with fox and design guys in order to run the 14" shaft in the 12" body the remove more than half of the shaft support inside there for if you run any valving you risk binding and bending shafts at full droop. I do not know what Bilstein has done on the inside. Many guys have had great results but this is what was explained to me by one of my best friends that was the Fox shock guru.
Interesting you say this...my Neigbor fab buddy who builds trophy trucks said the same thing. He wasn't a fan of the short bodies and says run a full size 14" with limit straps and bumps to get full range of the shock. I have a great option of buying some Bilstein 14 short bodies or just ordering new fox 14s. Not sure how to play it.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I need more info on what style of truck/ bronco you are putting this on.
Cut and turn or extended beams?
What is your rearend set up?
17- 18 inches of travel max ? ok with you? and limited bind on the front axles

this set up is very proven and works well depending on your build goal.

All the guys that have posted are correct...... like anything we do Lots of ways to find the end goal.

so mild build or full build?

Willie
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
AZJD

Post by AZJD »

funinthesun95 wrote:I need more info on what style of truck/ bronco you are putting this on.
Cut and turn or extended beams?
What is your rearend set up?
17- 18 inches of travel max ? ok with you? and limited bind on the front axles

this set up is very proven and works well depending on your build goal.

All the guys that have posted are correct...... like anything we do Lots of ways to find the end goal.

so mild build or full build?

Willie
1990 with 5.7 p, 35" Bfg KO2, front and rear bumpers are done. Seats are on the way. Glass all th way around. Just a simple easy build. Nothing crazy.

Standard store bought stuff. I have something to prerunn in, this is just something to goof around in. My plan is Threat +4 beams and steering. Threat kit for the rear (under cab). Rear is 8.8 with gears but prob go to 9" eventually. I may or may not cage it down the road.