Page 1 of 1

LImiting/Equalizing Bump Travel Side to Side

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:28 am
by VintageIronFab
Hello All,
So I am setting up my front end in regards to the bump travel. The passenger side has about an 1 1/2" more bump travel on the passenger side vs the passenger side. Now I am talking all the way up when you literally having the beam touch the frame/engine cradle. Is it considered common practice to equalize the travel from the driver to passenger side? It makes sense to make them equal because if you didn't of course your mounts are different and I don't think I have ever seen that before. Sorry if this is just an insane thought.

Re: LImiting/Equalizing Bump Travel Side to Side

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:56 pm
by nubreed71
Have you tried cycling it with the wheel/tire on? I'd think that would be more of the determining factor than the relationship between the beam and the frame.

Re: LImiting/Equalizing Bump Travel Side to Side

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:16 pm
by SteveG
I've always set up bump stops and limit straps independently on beam trucks as the ratios are completely different. It's critical to keeping the suspension/steering from destroying itself.

Re: LImiting/Equalizing Bump Travel Side to Side

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:07 am
by -JD5353-
Are you not running a heater box? Usually that limits the passenger side before the drivers and I match to that. Personally I set them up equal because it was close, find the side that limits travel and bump/strap to that, but I wouldn't have a problem running them different side to side if that's what you preferred, the extra up travel would always come in hand even if its only on one side.

Re: LImiting/Equalizing Bump Travel Side to Side

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:15 am
by BDKW1
Keep them even or it will make life difficult when you go to set your pre-load. Also, if you add bypass's, they will not be zone matched. Notching the D-side frame rail a little helps get them more even.