front shock set up

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

front shock set up

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

i'm really stuck on front shocks. I've been looking at bilstein, fox, and doetsch tech. I'm running stock width beams, deaver 5.5 coils, a bracket lift, and heimed extended radius arms. I'm thinkin about going to a single 10" 2.0 fox or bilstein remote resi. can i get some advice?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: front shock set up

Post by SteveG »

What are you looking to do with it?

Are you building your own mounts?

Are you asking how much shock you need?

I don't know what you're going to do with the truck, but there's a good chance that a properly valved 2.0" shock would be enough for you. Still, a 2.5" shock is not that much more money and has the potential to be more shock than you'll ever need. you can find really good deals on 10" travel 2.5" shocks if you have cash in hand and check the classifieds every day.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
hobbyturnedobsession

thank you. its not a full lt bronco but more or less a basic garage build. ive seen what goes one here and thats a little out of my league for now. im thinkin unless i run 5100 with the stem or the 5150 with the conversion kit, id have to do something like bajascott did with his bronco and do a shock hoop. i have the equipment to do that just dont have the experience. also, about the rear, i was thinkin of the deavers for the rear and the upper shock mounts everybody talked about instead of going through the floor. those pretty pricey? im sure they'd have to run at least 450.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

I am assuming you are going to use a standard mount instead of a pin mount? Alot depends on how hard you plan on running your truck. Fireroads and general trail playing you can easily get a way witha single 2.0. For ease and a good setup running the dual 5100s is affordable and tough to beat. If you are going through the headache of converting to a standard mount instead of the pin type to open up options on shocks I would go straight to a 2.5 shock. Fox,Bilstein,King, and sway away all have good shocks (though sway aways have had some quality issues) if you run a shock off the front of the beam most 14s work well and form the rear a 10.
FWIW If it were me I would go straight to a 2.5" if your not ready to go that route yet stick with the dual 5100s.
Jeremy
hobbyturnedobsession

thanks. im thinkin for now the 5100's. yet as always i have that itch to push it a little further and go with the 2.5's..... then id need to extend my beams correct? other wise im way over kill on my shock buying.
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

No you would not need to extend your beams I am stock width as are many others. I run an auto fab coil bucket with the shock hoop so I have a 14" 2.5 up front.
I ran dual 5100s forabout a year, the buckets just came up at the right time for me. The dual 5100s will take you a long way. Many others have run them as well. What I do now as far as play and pre running was done with those as well. While you ownt see as much travel with straps and smart driving you will be able to play pretty darn hard with those up front and have a good set up. The only downside is that they are not rebuildable. My brother ran the pin to eye mount adapters on his ranger and they worked out pretty good. Bang for the buck though its hard to beat the 5100s for general all around use.
Last edited by Polarcub on Tue May 25, 2010 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeremy
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

personally, i'd look around the web for some used shocks like sway aways or something of that sort.making a simple shock hoop is alot easier than you think.if it is available to use, just go for it,and copy someones design.i think i say this for everyone on here, if you dont do it you wont get the experiance.mine was a bit more difficult due to the 3" bodies and bypass tubes.
as for extending your beams .......stock width is the best option for what you are doing IMO keep it simple.you already have a great foundation to work off of.(maybe get a set of cut and turned beams later)
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
hobbyturnedobsession

thanks a bunch. i looked into the bilstein 5150s with the conversion kits but from what i hear first the eye to stem conversion kit is on national back order so i'm definately thinkin the 5100's. also, i have lt shackles for the rear from camburg. (got em for free!!) is it worth putting them on now with the pro comp lift springs i have or should i wait until i get some deavers?
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

Nice score on the shackles....The shackles will help any spring perform better regardless of manufacturer. It will drop your ride height a bit in teh rear about an 1" or so.

WRT the stem to eye conversion one concern I would have is the compressed lenght of the shock. You may have to run a shorter shock you would have to cycle the front to full bump to be sure. You could also lengthen bump stops as well if needed. Just something to check if you go that route.
Jeremy
hobbyturnedobsession

i dont think i want to go that route. dont like the look of em hahah bad choice to not get em but hey its got to have the look you want right? there was a guy on fsb who gave out the measurements. hahah i know thanks. i also got a gutted ranger and a manual tubing bender for free. knew a guy who was movin to Tennessee and didnt want any of it. the kit also came with dyleron bushings and the hardware. anyone had a problem with the pinion angle?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

You guys were straying off topic (the opposite end of the truck), so I split the last few posts off and put them in the leaf spring thread.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
hobbyturnedobsession

my bad. well as far as the front end goes, anyone know the valving that comes with the 5100's? im curious if the aux shock has a lighter valving or will it be stiff? what should i look into for the valving?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

From what I've heard, the front shock has light valving. We have a couple people from Bilstein here, so they may come on and answer that question with more detail.

My opinion is either go with the quad shock Bilstein set up or save your pennies for a 2.5"x10" shock.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

Not sure of the valving but the quad set up is pleasant on the street firm but not bone jarring. In the rough it was softer than my current set up but again it worked well as long as the vehicle was driven within its limits and FWIW the basic cut/turn and the quad bilsteins is enough to get you into fun/trouble and quite honestly its more than most will ever need.
I agree with steve on his opinion mainly because for all the effort its worth just moving to the 2.5"
Jeremy
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

SteveG wrote:
My opinion is either go with the quad shock Bilstein set up or save your pennies for a 2.5"x10" shock.

x2! The 5100s will get you a long long way!! I ran my Bronco that way and ran it pretty hard and had no issues, they work great on and off the street!
hobbyturnedobsession

but how limited is my travel?
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:but how limited is my travel?
Are you running cut/turned beams and extended radius arms? With those you will see about 12" or so. You can get up to about 16 when you go to the longer shock with extended arms and the c/t beams.
Jeremy
hobbyturnedobsession

ive got a drop bracket kit and a set of heimed extended radius arms.
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

you should be able to pull between 10-12" of travel with the 5100s
Jeremy
monkei
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension

Post by monkei »

Polarcub wrote:I run an auto fab coil bucket with the shock hoop so I have a 14" 2.5 up front.
Is this off the front of the beam with the single stud or behind the beam on the double shear mounting on the radius arms?? Pictures? I have the same style bucket and want to see some installs with 2.5" shocks....

Using the Autofab style buckets means buying coil adjusters/retainers and a shock hoop, but gives me more travel than the OE dual shock bucket, so I think i want to go that way instead of spending a bunch of money on 4 standard bilstein 5100s for 4-6" lift broncos. How does street ride compare between a single longer 2.5" shock vs. 2 shorter 2" shocks??