How to mount bead locks

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

How to mount bead locks

Post by Rmc »

You'll find most tire shop charge a lot to mount bead locks so here's a step by step for the ins who have never been through this labor of love.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 483 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Re: How to mount bead locks

Post by Rmc »

Spray the tire down with dish soap and water mixture so it's good and slick. As you can see here I wet the bead edge with a spray bottle filled with soapy water.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 481 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Lay the tire over the rim at an angle, then grab the wheel and pull toward the low lying edge firmly.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 479 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

With your knees slowly work your way to the tires far edge watching the bead slide down. Keep an eye out for the wheel sliding agianst the bead sliding the wheel away from the edge you pulled toward previously. If the wheel shifts get off and agian pull the wheel toward the low lying edge of the bead. Climb back on and begin the slow knee walk toward the tires far edge. If done correctly the tire will slid over the upper lip of the wheel.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 477 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

At this point grab a 3 lb dead blow hammer to help persuade the upper bead to seat in the reduced diameter of the wheel where the lock ring pinches the bead. Once the inner edge of the bead has been seated all the way around the upper bead diameter place the lock ring on the wheel sandwiching the tire between the wheel lip and lock ring. At this time start 4 bolts at any random equidistant 4 points.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Anti-sieze every bolt and install the washers. Anti-sieze is a critical step due to the bolt holes on the lock ring being through holes on most brands. This exposes them to corrosion and removing them at a later date is no fun when they've rusted into position. Also removing broken bolts is not real fun but that's another matter.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 475 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Torque in an alternating pattern to 18ft lbs with a torque wrench. Then repeat the process at 20ft lbs. once all at properly torqued grab an air chuck and start filling the tire. Stand the tire uprite and spray the rims full diameter as well as the bead of the tire.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 474 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

With the air chuck filling the tire hissing air grab the tire with both hands and push the rim with your knee or your foot. This works ok if the tires aren't too old. Stiffer tires may require another measure which I will cover at the end.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 473 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

The bead will seat and start sliding over the wheel toward the exposed wheel lip. FOR GOD SAKES KEEP YOU FINGERS OUT OF THE SPACE BETWEEN THE TIRE AND WHEEL AS IT FILLS!!!
At this point 1 of 3 senerios happen. 1st it slides over nice and gently, 2nd a loud pop can be heard as the bead seats or the 3rd highly unlikely senerio but still possible the tire expoldes and you go flying through a wall with shrapnel injuries.
I have mounted many many tires in this manor and no shrapnel so far.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 471 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

So on very stiff sidewall tires you take a flat strap and place it evenly over the middle of the tire. Wrap the strap around a metal bar and begin to wind the strap tighter and tighter. This will force the center of the tire inward which deforms the shape of the tire forcing the beads to move outward. While filling with air after the dripping wet bead begins to seat allow the air pressure to unwind the bar with you adding light resistance. Once the bead has moved over the rim an inch or so remove the bar. The seating of the bead will follow shortly after.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

The strap method also works really well with non beadlock wheels after you have blown a bead in the desert. Remove the tire, add the strap and wind it up. Start filling when visible contact has occurred between the bead edge and rim. Unwind as the air pressure increases.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 469 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

The end.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Nice work sir
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Thanks Rob!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Good write up. They're not all that hard, just take time....
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Now how do you unseat the bead without a tire machine? Have tried parking the front of a diesel pickup on the sidewall, no luck. So I always end up taking them to a tire shop to break the bead.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

so easy to put on so impossible to take off... yep

I did the 5 gal bucket trick and a shit load of soap but that sucks.... even with me being 290 ish took me forever to do one.....and to the tire shop I went after the one.....hah
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Tire shop or cut them off lol I agree it's a mission to remove them.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

How to mount bead locks

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I took one of those drive on car ramps and put the high side on the tire next to the bead and drove the truck up on the ramp, it popped the bead right off.

The red ramp under the Bronco is what I use.

Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Oh like used the ramp as a downward press of sorts?
I saw a vid of a guy using a high lift jack under his bumper for a similar method. Basically a big foot downward press right up near the bead