Rear Leaf Springs
-
Vintage Iron Fab
- Posts: 31
- Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:47 pm
- Bronco Info: I love the 94-96 FSB and the 66-77 Early Broncos
Rear Leaf Springs
Can the broncos just put 3" rear leaf springs on from a f-150 or do you need the f150 hangers??
Matt Lane
Vintage Iron Fabworks
602-502-8945
Vintage Iron Fabworks
602-502-8945
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
You can use 3" F150 4x4 springs without mods or different hangars. The 2.5 width 2wd springs will need two .25 spacers (or washers) per a bushing or use of hangars and shackles from an F150 2wd.mdlane72 wrote:Can the broncos just put 3" rear leaf springs on from a f-150 or do you need the f150 hangers??
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
-
monkei
- Posts: 194
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:07 pm
- Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension
- Location: Pleasanton, CA
- Contact:
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
Are there any good cheaper alternatives to the >$700 Deaver 5" F40s?
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
Find a set of used ones or try and build your own hybrid pack out of junkyard springs. I can tell you right now Deavers will work way better than any junkyard combo.monkei wrote:Are there any good cheaper alternatives to the >$700 Deaver 5" F40s?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
Buy deavers, new or used, its the best way to go.
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
While I agree with Tony National used to offer a spring as well for the broncos. My current set of J40s was much less than 700...not sure what they are listing as but when I picked these up a year ago they were trying to get some off the shelf and gave me a super deal. It may be worth a call to deaver and find out. It may also be worth seeing if a parts store has the rear springs form a superlift or the likes while I am partial to deavers if you get the taller springs out of a kit they are a decent leaf spring that will get you through until you can get the deavers or another.
Jeremy
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
Yeah, I agree with Jer, nationals are great as well.
Superlifts or ranchos I am sure will get the job done for a while, but would not compare.
I am most likley going to have a set of used f53s as well as a set of f64s available shortly.
I have been wanting to replace my f53 with a new set instead of rebuilding mine, and I am picking up a bronco for my brother that has f64s, and we are going to throw f53s on it as well.
Superlifts or ranchos I am sure will get the job done for a while, but would not compare.
I am most likley going to have a set of used f53s as well as a set of f64s available shortly.
I have been wanting to replace my f53 with a new set instead of rebuilding mine, and I am picking up a bronco for my brother that has f64s, and we are going to throw f53s on it as well.
- johncharlesb
- Posts: 510
- Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
- Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
The cheapest and easiest is used Deavers/Nationals.
I am building a set of "junkyard" GM 64 inch springs now. I wanted the added length of the GM spring. There is a post showing these setups under Ranger Rear Suspension http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... f=15&t=597 I may change to a Deaver/National 64" spring pack later, will have to see how these work. I suspect they will work and cycle well, but be prone to cracking because of the limited number of leaves. The GM spring rate is 155lbs per inch. My current spring rate is 288lbs per inch.
John
I am building a set of "junkyard" GM 64 inch springs now. I wanted the added length of the GM spring. There is a post showing these setups under Ranger Rear Suspension http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... f=15&t=597 I may change to a Deaver/National 64" spring pack later, will have to see how these work. I suspect they will work and cycle well, but be prone to cracking because of the limited number of leaves. The GM spring rate is 155lbs per inch. My current spring rate is 288lbs per inch.
John
-
Dust
- Posts: 781
- Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
- Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
- Location: Central Oregon
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
What is the OE Bronco spring pack rated at?
- johncharlesb
- Posts: 510
- Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
- Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
Those rate numbers were pulled off an Eaton chart, but did not see a Bronco listing. There are rate calculators around the net:Dust wrote:What is the OE Bronco spring pack rated at?
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... ngrate.htm
I will measure the 1995 main leaf thickness later and run it through the calculator. Here are the other dimensions:
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php ... ts_id=7755
-
lifeinthesouth
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:56 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 5.0L/E4OD
- Location: Kodiak, AK
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
I was very happy with my Alcan springs.
http://www.alcanspring.com/
They have been around for many years and all there spring packs are custom made to your specs.
They have all the baseline info for the vehicle, stock rate, weight, etc. you give them all your specs and they build them. They're all mil wrap, 9-10 leaf packs. They even have a page on their website to enter all you info for a quote.
Customer service is great and prices are good too... ~$500 a pair.
Just throwing out another option.
http://www.alcanspring.com/
They have been around for many years and all there spring packs are custom made to your specs.
They have all the baseline info for the vehicle, stock rate, weight, etc. you give them all your specs and they build them. They're all mil wrap, 9-10 leaf packs. They even have a page on their website to enter all you info for a quote.
Customer service is great and prices are good too... ~$500 a pair.
Just throwing out another option.
- johncharlesb
- Posts: 510
- Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
- Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
The 95 Bronco main spring was 5/16ths or .3125Dust wrote:What is the OE Bronco spring pack rated at?
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... ngrate.htm
-
vegasff13
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:51 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 XLT 5.8 4in Rancho with 33in BFGs
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
Deaver is selling the f53 at 30% off right now. I have a set Im picking up at right around 521$. Cant beat that price for NEW Deavers.
-
monkei
- Posts: 194
- Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:07 pm
- Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension
- Location: Pleasanton, CA
- Contact:
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
isn't that a 3.5" wide spring?Deaver is selling the f53 at 30% off right now
http://www.deaverspring.com/products/leafsfd.html
I want the J40 (5") but they don't seem to come up used much.
Bronco Graveyard sells a deaver 10 leaf pack for a Bronco sold as 4" lift for $550
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-335 ... leafs.html
- Jasonj105
- Posts: 134
- Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:05 am
- Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco, 5.8, C6
- Location: El Centro, CA
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
Thats 3.5 lift,because its for the 2wd i think its 2.5 inches wide
We Might As Well Give Up And Run, If We Let Them Take Our God And Guns
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
ive got F53's and with gear and 4 people they arent tall enough...just an FYI for people building chase rig/prerunners. The rate is good though.

more pics...
http://www.animalhousedesigns.net/album ... jave_trail

more pics...
http://www.animalhousedesigns.net/album ... jave_trail
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
When I got my F64s everyone told me they are stiff and the F53s are a better way to go. I actually can't imagine the rearshockseals.com wrote:ive got F53's and with gear and 4 people they arent tall enough...just an FYI for people building chase rig/prerunners. The rate is good though.
needing to be softer than it is. It rides a little stiff if it's completely empty but once my
spare, a bag of tools, ice chest, and recovery case are in there it works great. Much better than most people will let you believe a leaf spring setup can work.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
-
Dust
- Posts: 781
- Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
- Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
- Location: Central Oregon
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
Is there like a chart that lists what the configuration for all these alphabet springs are?
The Deaver site shows what they fit but that don't tell me nothing spec wise...
I know, I should know, but
The Deaver site shows what they fit but that don't tell me nothing spec wise...
I know, I should know, but
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
I am with you on that, I had the F64s and the rate was fine I think shackles would have really made them better overall but the J40 is IMO a much better spring. Even before I put the extended shackles in the performance was much better. Now that I have the shackles on there I wont change the leafs with anything else. I still am not a fan of going narrower on them. Especially loaded.philofab wrote:When I got my F64s everyone told me they are stiff and the F53s are a better way to go. I actually can't imagine the rearshockseals.com wrote:ive got F53's and with gear and 4 people they arent tall enough...just an FYI for people building chase rig/prerunners. The rate is good though.
needing to be softer than it is. It rides a little stiff if it's completely empty but once my
spare, a bag of tools, ice chest, and recovery case are in there it works great. Much better than most people will let you believe a leaf spring setup can work.
Jeremy
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
F53 is actually an F150 2WD spring. It is 2.5 inches wide and 3.5" of lift
F64 is a 3" wide spring with a 3" lift
J40 is a 3" wide spring with a 5" lift
As far as rates go, these leaves are very progressive and the rate increases quite a bit under compression.
F64 is a 3" wide spring with a 3" lift
J40 is a 3" wide spring with a 5" lift
As far as rates go, these leaves are very progressive and the rate increases quite a bit under compression.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
